Would you move back to Sheffield

Been back a couple of times recently after 35 years living between Leics and Coventry

first time back variable speed camera on M1 cost me eighty quid, second time another

thirty quid for being in a bus lane. Sheffield is now the most driver unfriendly city I have ever known. ( bear in mind one job I had I was doing a thousand mile a week so I`ve been about a bit ) I would recomend to everyone not to go. Shame the place was brill in the 60s and 70s.

Without being rude, the motorway is not part of the city, and the cameras are well marked.

And why would you drive in a bus lane, they're for buses... Go and drive in a bus lane anywhere else, you'll find that you get fined everywhere for doing that.

quick reply to the original question-would you move back to Sheffield. NO!

just moved back after 15 years.

Love Sheffield its my home

It two years next month since I made the decision to leave and have no regrets at all.

I still read and sometimes post on the forum...but move back? I don't think so!

Sheffield seems to be hitting the news recently for all the wrong reasons...the murder of the takeaway delivery driver being the latest.

Reading the forum is at times depressing reading.....

The page hall issue...(also hit the news today).

The ever increasing "what's happened" threads, only to read of another attack or mugging.

And...the seemingly endless bickering on some threads....often not at all to do with the thread topic.

It just confirms I made the correct decision.

Sheffield, and Sheffield folk just ain't the friendly place it once was.

I wonder if there are expats out there that would move back...and why?

Whilst I appreciate your comments, not ALL sheffield is bad, I live in Deepcar, fabulous people, great views and walks and I have no intentions of moving.

This thread reads like an archive of Daily Mail readers mythical idealisation of 1950s Britain seen through rose tinted glasses. What a depressing bunch some of you seem to be

This thread reads like an archive of Daily Mail readers mythical idealisation of 1950s Britain seen through rose tinted glasses. What a depressing bunch some of you seem to be

Just a guess,could be 100% off but you live in Sheffield and always have.

Whilst I appreciate your comments, not ALL sheffield is bad, I live in Deepcar, fabulous people, great views and walks and I have no intentions of moving.

But it's not really Sheffield is it?

Yes...it has a Sheffield post code, but it's one of the surrounding villages, same as Stocksbridge, Dungworth, etc.

I agree Deepcar is nice. I was only there last weekend visiting family.

I didn't intend giving the impression all Sheffield is bad. It seems you interpreted it that way.

I'm happy with my move away after sixty plus years.

It seems that most people who left are happy with their decision.

A minority who have replied to the thread have returned.......and that was the question really.

Would you return and why?

Maybe there should be a would you leave thread.

I expect that would have more responses from the "Never" brigade than the Hendersons thread had in praise.

Just a guess,could be 100% off but you live in Sheffield and always have.

Way way off Beezer Boy. Lazy thinking I may add.

When I have revisited Sheffield over the years since I left in '66 the cleanliness has struck me, no heavy smog, black stonework gradually revealIing its true colour and being able to see Wincobank Hill! I spent a happy childhood in Sheffield in the 40s/50s/60s but having said that it was a dirty place in those days, I remember my mum having to redo the washing if for any reason she had left it out on the line overnight.

Chrishall, steady on, that doesn't fit with the idealised Daily Mail romantic view of the past.

Seems to me people who moved years ago don't want to hear that the grass is not always greener overseas and want their decisions to move away validated.

I think Sheffield is a really happening place why else would thousands of students want to stay in the city after their studies have finished. Quality of life here is good.

Chrishall, steady on, that doesn't fit with the idealised Daily Mail romantic view of the past.

Seems to me people who moved years ago don't want to hear that the grass is not always greener overseas and want their decisions to move away validated.

I think Sheffield is a really happening place why else would thousands of students want to stay in the city after their studies have finished. Quality of life here is good.

Strange you say that.....

Maybe you didn't see the BBC News today?

There was a report on there saying how Sheffield isn't as vibrant as other cities and students are moving elsewhere, many to London to find jobs after finishing their studies. I noted they said Sheffield wasn't keeping up with cities such as Leeds and Manchester.

Strange you say that.....

Maybe you didn't see the BBC News today?

There was a report on there saying how Sheffield isn't as vibrant as other cities and students are moving elsewhere, many to London to find jobs after finishing their studies. I noted they said Sheffield wasn't keeping up with cities such as Leeds and Manchester.

Now I'll vouch for that because seen the reruns of both "Shameless" and Coronation st for real TRUE life:hihi::hihi::hihi: