Would you move back to Sheffield

...where I live now almost no crime and all from Children up very polite and kind hearted...
The same applies where I live in Lincolnshire, but the thread is concerned with Sheffield, and the point raised by rogG relates to violent crime in UK cities. Whatever beliefs and prejudices people might have, violent crime in the UK is declining. But that doesn't mean that such crime as exists isn't uppermost in people's minds. This is down to the publicity that it attracts and is disseminated by modern media.
..Sure, there were gangs and murders when I was growing up but there always seemed to be a motive behind them...
There certainly were - I recall the East House murders of 1960, the motive for which lay in the crazed mind of a would-be suicidal Somali...

Wasn't taking a swipe at Sheff., just an observation and a question from reading the on line Star every day. If rates are declining I'm glad to see that. The authorities make the same statement over here btw., but public perception doesn't see it that way. You do have a point hillsboro re: the media coverage. If you go back, as I did, researching the Star's coverage of news events from the 1940s onward, you can see how it has evolved from a newspaper that reported world wide news to today's more sensational coverage.

Beechnut - a bit hard on old flyer, I think. He can be a bit provocative at times, but he's alright really. And don't forget - he lives in Ontario, so he might have to put up with that infamous Toronto mayor. :)

Hi rogG - I noted that beechnut (who seems have an impish sense of humour) put a wink ;) at the end of the post. Yes - the perception of crime is coloured more by publicity than the facts. If reporting a murder sells newspapers, a detailed report will ensue. Perception and reality can be two different things, and it's also worth bearing in mind that murders in Sheffield are newsworthy because they happen relatively rarely.

I used to read The Star every day when living in Sheffield and what I remember there was a report of a chip pan fire most nights and lots of reports of burned out cars.

senseless crime was on my mind as a poster on a football thread that I use mentioned that he used to go to school with that painter who got murdered in hackenthorpe.

I moved from Sheffield, in 1973, first to New Jersey then to Miami Florida, not to keen on the summers here, they do get a bit to hot and humid, but I have two sons that I had over here so I couldn't move back to Sheffield even if I wanted to, and now that my mom has passed and my aunt its hard to say because I have not much to go home to Sheffield to, having said that, I have booked a trip for my husband and I in Feb, for our 40th anniversary, for 10days so who knows lol

Well, as Hillsbro correctly wrote, the truth is that violent crime in the UK is declining. The figures speak for themselves.And I don't think you'll be missed. ;)

No maybe not but you may have been brought up quite different to me I never recall guns being used by even the very worst of criminals ,sure it could be rough with many a drunk punch up on a sat night but NEVER a knife or gun was seen and all was forgot come Monday morning ,today there seems to be a hatred and naste everywhere :suspect::suspect:

...I never recall guns being used by even the very worst of criminals....NEVER a knife or gun was seen and all was forgot come Monday morning....
Eh?!. Well, see here for example:

http://www.chrishobbs.com/sheffield/easthousemurders1960.htm

Going back a bit further there were the gang wars of the 1920s, the murder of William Plommer and others, recounted in all their lurid detail in this book and others.

The fact is that (as "Beechnut" and others have stated) violent crime is on the decline - but the publicity associated with it, and therefore its public perception, is not.

Eh?!. Well, see here for example:

http://www.chrishobbs.com/sheffield/easthousemurders1960.htm

Going back a bit further there were the gang wars of the 1920s, the murder of William Plommer and others, recounted in all their lurid detail in this book and others.

The fact is that (as "Beechnut" and others have stated) violent crime is on the decline - but the publicity associated with it, and therefore its public perception, is not.

perhaps you didn' read your own It did say Somali and I could be wrong but I don't think Somali's come from Sheffield ,But in any case I was on the boat by then I moved out and the Somali's moved in:rolleyes::rolleyes:And in anycase the question was would you move back to Sheffield and if you're waiting for expats to say yes we love to move back you're going to waiting a long time so don't take offence when we give you an honest anwser

Edited by flyer
add

... if you're waiting for expats to say yes we love to move back you're going to waiting a long time ....
No! I would much prefer expats to stay exactly where they are..:hihi:.:hihi:.:hihi:

I find it strange that so many respondents say they wouldn't move back to Sheffield because it's not the same as it used to be. Of course it isn't. I can't think of one city, or indeed a single place, that is the same as it was in the past. Structurally Sheffield has changed a great deal since I left over forty years ago with many improvements and some re-building that not everybody agrees with. Time doesn't stand still and for better or worse it's called progress. The Victorians were our greatest exponents of tearing down medieval buildings and replacing them with their own architectural style. It's always happened and always will.

Similarly as we age and experience life, our viewpoints, attitudes and expectations alter. So we don't see things in the way we did.

I have very happy memories of growing up in a city which was somewhat grimy and certainly war torn but to me it was home. A place where people were, on the whole amiable and welcoming. I still consider Northern folk in general and those from Sheffield in particular to be some of the friendliest in the country.

Would I move back to Sheffield? Certainly if circumstances warranted it. I can think of many worse places in the world to live. Be proud of where you live.

echo

No! I would much prefer expats to stay exactly where they are..:hihi:.:hihi:.:hihi:

Then may I take this chance to Wish you a "Merry Christmas",or whatever you types say nowdays:|:|