Would you move back to Sheffield

re; previous answers to the question would I live in Sheffield, it is no better or worse than any other town but it is my town and I wouldn't like to make any where else my home. It was recently voted the friendliest place in England and to me that says it all. There are some run down areas I must admit but it only takes a few to give any area a bad name no matter where about in the world you are. Yorkshire lass from Sheffield and proud of it:love::love:

I think the question was " Would you move back to Sheffield " ?

For my part , if Sheffield could provide what I wanted then I would resoundingly declare " Yes ".

My reasons for living in North Yorkshire are because of my affinity since childhood . I know York and North Yorkshire like the back of my hand . Even more so than I do Sheffield .

Sheffield is no more or less friendly than anywhere else .If you speak to them they will respond. If you ignore them then they will ignore you . Try it . Oh , you will get the odd one who thinks that you are odd - so what -All my life I have struck up a conversation with " whoever" and, have enjoyed that social intercourse .

I lived in France four, years moving back to the communist republic of south yorkshire was the worst thing I ever did

Edited by davebrmm
missed punctuation mark

The only good thing left in Sheffield is the friendliness of the people The place is filthy beyond belief although, because of the steel works in years gone by the air was foul, now it's filth lying around in the streets. Nobody has any sense of pride and I suspect that the enormous number of immigrants has a lot to do with it.

When I was young during ww2 women would scrub thieir front step and then apply some whitening despite living in back to backs.

???????????? for some people to remark about Australia being sand surf etc, it's time they had a geography lesson, some places are like that in Oz, but the countryside where we live is like Stannington with it's farms , and the Rivelin Valley with it's tree's and streams, we have waterfalls and dams etc over the hill, so I find this area very much like what the outskirts of Sheffield used to be like before they started building all the new estates.

The benefits of living here for us is mainly the weather, and it suits us down to the ground, and I have lived here longer than we lived in Sheffield.

Sheffield is where I was born and spent my first 27 years of life, But I chose to stay in Oz after seeing a place that we really liked, and the rest is history.

Everyone has a choice as to where they want to live, and I wouldn't pull anyone down for going to live wherever their heart was, so just enjoy your chosen destination, and don't lose any sleep over the choices that others have made, life is too short for that.

100%skippy it always supprise how anyone can judge placers they have never been to,I could have land up next door but the boats for Oz where full for two yrs at that time ,did spend 6weeks strike bound in oz but had to come to Canada dont regret for a moment and where i am almost no snow just the right amount to kill off the summer bugs

Hi there Allen,

I left Sheffield for Australia in 1968, only for a 2 year stay at that time, I returned after 3 years but came back in March 1973.

I was fortunately enough to have a job that gave me the chance to return to Sheffield every year since 1987. I enjoyed my visits because I could see my parents and friends again, but could I live there again, no I don't think the place is the same as it was in the 60s.

I lived on the Manor Park and loved it back then, one thing I remember is the pride people had with their gardens, I don't see that now.

Mick

100%skippy it always supprise how anyone can judge placers they have never been to,I could have land up next door but the boats for Oz where full for two yrs at that time ,did spend 6weeks strike bound in oz but had to come to Canada dont regret for a moment and where i am almost no snow just the right amount to kill off the summer bugs

WE toured Canada in an R.V. and didn't know about the bugs that bite and leave massive lumps. We saw people with nets over their faces but being stupid we ignored them much to our sorrow.

Yes most of the bugs can be a very local thing changing from area to area, We moved 100k to near Lake Ontario and every year swarm of fish flys cover the whole town but only last for two weeks and they don't bit,now black fly up north thats a another story

Left Sheffield in 1994 and went to live in Staffordshire Moorlands,.....best move i ever made.

I left Sheffield in Jan 1983 to live in NZ. I loved it there but we decided to move to Perth WA in 1986. I go back to Sheffield when I can as we have family still there. Great to go back and (get my fix of the people & place) then love to come back here. I call Perth home now. I do get melancholy now and again especially this time of year. Xmas is not the same here even after all this time. I prefer the cool weather and as I get older I can't tolerate the heat. Too hot for me -temps this week in the 30s. I'm proud to say i am English.

I left Sheffield in Jan 1983 to live in NZ. I loved it there but we decided to move to Perth WA in 1986. I go back to Sheffield when I can as we have family still there. Great to go back and (get my fix of the people & place) then love to come back here. I call Perth home now. I do get melancholy now and again especially this time of year. Xmas is not the same here even after all this time. I prefer the cool weather and as I get older I can't tolerate the heat. Too hot for me -temps this week in the 30s. I'm proud to say i am English.

Best of both worlds then downunder :-)

Better Guiness here :-) and at least you don't have to watch the blades :-) :-)

It two years next month since I made the decision to leave and have no regrets at all.

I still read and sometimes post on the forum...but move back? I don't think so!

Sheffield seems to be hitting the news recently for all the wrong reasons...the murder of the takeaway delivery driver being the latest.

Reading the forum is at times depressing reading.....

The page hall issue...(also hit the news today).

The ever increasing "what's happened" threads, only to read of another attack or mugging.

And...the seemingly endless bickering on some threads....often not at all to do with the thread topic.

It just confirms I made the correct decision.

Sheffield, and Sheffield folk just ain't the friendly place it once was.

I wonder if there are expats out there that would move back...and why?

It still the safest of all the large cities in the country. So if that's an issue I guess you'll have to live in the countryside.