Would you move back to Sheffield

Nope, still can't understand a single word. :roll:

I'm very very sorry think I made a big mistake I should have clued in the Name megaliithic says it all you're a"sprog" and all this time i thought i was talking to an adult,so i'm sure you don't understand either English or any commonsense

It two years next month since I made the decision to leave and have no regrets at all.

I still read and sometimes post on the forum...but move back? I don't think so!

Sheffield seems to be hitting the news recently for all the wrong reasons...the murder of the takeaway delivery driver being the latest.

Reading the forum is at times depressing reading.....

The page hall issue...(also hit the news today).

The ever increasing "what's happened" threads, only to read of another attack or mugging.

And...the seemingly endless bickering on some threads....often not at all to do with the thread topic.

It just confirms I made the correct decision.

Sheffield, and Sheffield folk just ain't the friendly place it once was.

I wonder if there are expats out there that would move back...and why?

I left Sheffield in 1977 in pursuit of a new career, which I realised .

Since then I have followed that career to my retirement in a very rural part of North Yorkshire.

It has offered me the career of which I have loved every minute of , as well as all the recreational country pursuits which I enjoy and which Sheffield couldn't offer me .

Since my time at university , where I met and made friends with a great number of people , as well as those I have worked with , the people I knew from Sheffield have become less and less ; save those of my family . Sadly , as one grows older even those grow less and less .

As time has progressed , my friends and acquaintances have tended to generate from the area where I have spent the last 30+ years of my life .

Having said all that , I still make frequent visits to Sheffield to visit my family and , it has to be said , indulge in the libation which the local hostelry's have on offer ; much to my enjoyment.

The point which I would make however , though somewhat protracted , Is that I regard myself as a " Sheffielder " . And as such , have the progress - yes - progress , of that great city at heart.

I fervently believe that " you can take the person out of Sheffield , but you can't take Sheffield out of the person , and there lies the whole nub of this thread .

All these contributors to this thread , where ever they may be in this very small world , and for ever the length of time they have absented themselves , still gravitate to " SHEFFIELD FORUM " , for whatever reason .

I would venture to suggest " ROOTS" and , regardless of the present state of the city , a deep desire of nostalgia .

We all have deep rooted memories of yesteryear. But in order to move on it important to remember that it is "WE" and "TIME " that changes . We are the ones that grow to desire something different . If you desire that change in your life , don't expect what you have left behind to change just to suit you.

I am very content with what I have now, including memories of what was .

When we are gone , Sheffield will still be there for future generations to do with what they will .

" Live your life for what you have got and enjoy ".

We have here two very opinionated people here (Flyer AND Megalithic) and that's okay, but as a bystander when you compare time on the site to number of posts, one would appear to have jumped into most of the subjects raised. I doubt that anyone is so informed as to qualify be taken seriously all the time. Just an observation

We have here two very opinionated people here (Flyer AND Megalithic) and that's okay, but as a bystander when you compare time on the site to number of posts, one would appear to have jumped into most of the subjects raised. I doubt that anyone is so informed as to qualify be taken seriously all the time. Just an observation

could well be right I do like to jank on danging chain, the only thing I made my first comment on was this post reads"would you move back to Sheffield"I sort of thought this was directed at Expats, Megs stand was no one should say they would NOT move back, at the time i thought very Childish comment as no one is slaging off Sheffield ,I myself have met some very warm heart & and full of good humour Sheffield's ,BUT i also spent over 5 years in that Fullwood homes hell camp with some of the the most vile of women ever in one place, this as been the subject of hundreds of posts on this forum I think a lot of these would not move back but then other hung on??:|:|:|

We left in 1973, not because we disliked Sheffield. I had a friend who’d emigrated and he kept writing things about Bondi Beach, palm trees, breezes from the Pacific Ocean, sitting outside on warm nights drinking beer from bottles, drive-in cinemas, barbecue’s and stuff I’d never dreamed of. I was at work one day using a Hilti gun to drive studs into a steel girder above my head, every time I fired the gun I got showered in coal dust. I caught the bus home looking like Al Jolson. That night I wrote to Australia House in Leeds and in 4 weeks me and the wife left Southampton on a big white ship headed for Australia. For someone who had never been further than Skegness it was all a bit much. For the first 2 years homesickness was almost a physical pain and none of the things my friend had written about could compensate for what I’d left behind. But we stayed.

Twenty two years later we came back to see me mum and dad and a few other people. We were sitting in a pub on Mosborough Moor, I told one of the locals I still missed Sheffield and was thinking about coming back, he said “Dont think about coming back, there’s nothing here for you. Go back to Australia and live your life”

So, having lived 23 years in England and 40 in Australia I’ve come to the conclusion it doesn’t really matter where I live. When they finally bury me in some boneyard outside a little unknown village in Tasmania, there will be a corner of some foreign field that is forever Sheffield.

I was dragged kicking and screaming out of Sheffield in 1974 and it was over thirty years before I visited the city again. My how it had changed but not the people. They are still so helpful and friendly. OH and I were in Sheffield recently and loved it, every queue we stood in someone started chatting. When we visit Sheffield it's like putting an old comfy pair of slippers on. When retirement looms I'll move back if we can find the right place.

I was dragged kicking and screaming out of Sheffield in 1974 and it was over thirty years before I visited the city again. My how it had changed but not the people. They are still so helpful and friendly. OH and I were in Sheffield recently and loved it, every queue we stood in someone started chatting. When we visit Sheffield it's like putting an old comfy pair of slippers on. When retirement looms I'll move back if we can find the right place.

Look me up in 7 years when i retire you can buy my house, so we can go and live in the Welsh Mountain region of Breckon Beacons.!

jt

Edited by john t

I'm currently looking to escape Sheffield and find a nice house in the Peak District. Only time I'll be popping back will be to see the family. Other than that, I'll not miss it. I wouldn't come back if it wasn't for the family.

We left Sheffield in 1995. Visited last year and it has changed so much, perhaps we have too. Wouldn't ever want to live in a City again. Now living in West Sussex and love the rural life. I do have very happy memories of Sheffield though.

was in Libya for 3yrs the heat and the sand didn't bother me a bit,but on returning to U.K training in the south we came upon the very first fuel line freeze I'd every come across all our brand new trucks had cracked blocks,just doesn't get that far below freezing in U.K right, dead wrong we was stuck in our tents for 3 days it was a wonder we didn't all die of course by now i take the cold in my stride:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I was stationed in Benghazi for a couple of years 1963/64. One of the best countries I've lived in, down to the beach fishing or swimming every afternoon.

I've lived in at least 20 countries either stationed or working and each one has it's good and bad points, but my best time was sailing around the Med. which I did for eleven years.

I now live in northern Florida but it has lost its' appeal, I'm thinking of moving back to Spain.

---------- Post added 02-11-2013 at 21:40 ----------

We left in 1973, not because we disliked Sheffield. I had a friend who’d emigrated and he kept writing things about Bondi Beach, palm trees, breezes from the Pacific Ocean, sitting outside on warm nights drinking beer from bottles, drive-in cinemas, barbecue’s and stuff I’d never dreamed of. I was at work one day using a Hilti gun to drive studs into a steel girder above my head, every time I fired the gun I got showered in coal dust. I caught the bus home looking like Al Jolson. That night I wrote to Australia House in Leeds and in 4 weeks me and the wife left Southampton on a big white ship headed for Australia. For someone who had never been further than Skegness it was all a bit much. For the first 2 years homesickness was almost a physical pain and none of the things my friend had written about could compensate for what I’d left behind. But we stayed.

Twenty two years later we came back to see me mum and dad and a few other people. We were sitting in a pub on Mosborough Moor, I told one of the locals I still missed Sheffield and was thinking about coming back, he said “Dont think about coming back, there’s nothing here for you. Go back to Australia and live your life”

So, having lived 23 years in England and 40 in Australia I’ve come to the conclusion it doesn’t really matter where I live. When they finally bury me in some boneyard outside a little unknown village in Tasmania, there will be a corner of some foreign field that is forever Sheffield.

Nice story. When I finished my 25 years in the Army I got a letter from Austalia House in London asking me to visit as they had something which may interest me. I went in 1973 and they offered me one million acres of land in the North West. They said I couldn't live on it, I never asked if it was impossible or a rule it sounded so remote and desolate I turned it down flat. I often wonder about it.

I was stationed in Benghazi for a couple of years 1963/64. One of the best countries I've lived in, down to the beach fishing or swimming every afternoon.

I've lived in at least 20 countries either stationed or working and each one has it's good and bad points, but my best time was sailing around the Med. which I did for eleven years.

I now live in northern Florida but it has lost its' appeal, I'm thinking of moving back to Spain.

---------- Post added 02-11-2013 at 21:40 ----------

Nice story. When I finished my 25 years in the Army I got a letter from Austalia House in London asking me to visit as they had something which may interest me. I went in 1973 and they offered me one million acres of land in the North West. They said I couldn't live on it, I never asked if it was impossible or a rule it sounded so remote and desolate I turned it down flat. I often wonder about it.

also in Benghazi well most in Benina but in 51 thought the Russki's were coming so spent a lot of time (months on end)playing in the sand we was down as far as Kufra Oasis but long story(another topic):cool::cool:

also in Benghazi well most in Benina but in 51 thought the Russki's were coming so spent a lot of time (months on end)playing in the sand we was down as far as Kufra Oasis but long story(another topic):cool::cool:

You saw the American plane down in Kuffra did you. For those not familiar with the story a group of American aircraft took off from Libya to bomb Italy but they had little or no navigation equipment or skills. Most of the 'planes turned around but this particular pilot flew over Italy dropped his bombs then flew on a reciprical course. Unfortunately they didn't know when to land so they carried on until they ran out of fuel and crashed in Kuffra which is in South Libya. When I went to have a Shufti ( look ) there were tins of food looking like new, the air is so dry down there.