Would you move back to Sheffield

In Cornwall after 23 years Navy, but love visiting old schoolfriends, and catching up on Sheffield in General...as they say...you can take something something something...but....got friends all over the world, but when we either meet for reunion, or natter on FB, we all have a warm glow about our joint heritage.....Sheffield!

Likewise Downsunder, born in Sheffield in '43 went to Australia in'65 for an adventure. Learned to love the place and the people and still here, but often missed "home' and my family.

I didn't leave Sheffield because I was unhappy or dissatisfied, just wanted to travel and broaden my outlook on life & people.

Would I move back to Sheffield to live? No, because I have found a bit of paradise elsewhere, but still love coming back to visit and finding Sheffield improving every time I do visit.

See you all for the Grande Departe in July.

Regards millsie

Lived in Jburg for 2 years and Sao Paulo for a time and came back to Sheffield,now been in Spain for 5 months and will go back to UK in a few years but don't think Sheffield.

I would suggest that most people have answered what they thought was a clear question .

I would further suggest that their answer was equally as clear ; though some may not have agreed with the gist of the reply .

There are some who merely wish to respond in an unacceptably derogatory manner to other contributors to the thread - their reasons are best known to themselves .

For my part it is me that has looked for something more than what Sheffield had to offer . I have found it and am very contented with it . I suspect that the same applies to the vast majority of others who moved to pastures new .

Having said that, I would venture to suggest that it is they who have changed - in what the want and expect from life .

Looking back at my life in Sheffield however , it can be said that my experiences and my education which Sheffield gave me , encouraged me to broaden my horizons else where .There are those none the less who have chosen to do that whilst remaining in Sheffield and , progressed themselves to a larger or lesser degree .

As for moving back to sheffield , I would say no . I have made , for me , the right choice . I have said previously that " You can take the person out of Sheffield , but you can not take Sheffield out of the person".

Though there must be far more ex-pats than those contributing to this thread, who have left Sheffield and who are not interested enough to participate in this discussion , the ones who do contribute obviously still have an interest in Sheffield as their " roots" and, by the mere fact that they visit this thread , clearly demonstrates the theory of that assumption .

Wish this site had a "like" button. Very well expressed and my thoughts entirely.

See you all for the Grande Departe in July.

Regards millsie

Mon Dieu. You lucky sod.

I am moving back in the middle of next year after over 30 years in the West Midlands and am very much looking forward to it. Family ties are the main draw but it will be interesting to be back in the Sheffield community which I've always thought of as 'home'.

I'm not from Sheffield originally but went to school there, (De La Salle). I lived and worked in Sheffield between 1976 and 1983 and loved it. I live in Elsecar which is only a 20 minute run into Sheffield and there is a train hourly. I think it's a case of not appreciating what you've got in Sheffield, in my opinion it's a relatively safe, vibrant, "buzzing" city. The tram is superb, you have 2 universities with all the knock on cultural benefits you get from that. You have the Showroom cinema, actually more than just a cinema, Kelham Island the best Real Ale quarter in England. The city centre is lovely. Icing on the cake Sheffield United, don't get that in Australia !

Personally I just don't get the attraction of Australia, seems to be all beaches, "barbies", ex-Pats, surf, and the "outback".

In 18 months I'll be spending 6 months in the south of France and 6 months in Yorkshire. France, culturally rich, beautiful climate, and believe it or not the people are lovely. When I'm there I really miss South Yorkshire and vice versa.

I'm not from Sheffield originally but went to school there, (De La Salle). I lived and worked in Sheffield between 1976 and 1983 and loved it. I live in Elsecar which is only a 20 minute run into Sheffield and there is a train hourly. I think it's a case of not appreciating what you've got in Sheffield, in my opinion it's a relatively safe, vibrant, "buzzing" city. The tram is superb, you have 2 universities with all the knock on cultural benefits you get from that. You have the Showroom cinema, actually more than just a cinema, Kelham Island the best Real Ale quarter in England. The city centre is lovely. Icing on the cake Sheffield United, don't get that in Australia !

Personally I just don't get the attraction of Australia, seems to be all beaches, "barbies", ex-Pats, surf, and the "outback".

In 18 months I'll be spending 6 months in the south of France and 6 months in Yorkshire. France, culturally rich, beautiful climate, and believe it or not the people are lovely. When I'm there I really miss South Yorkshire and vice versa.

Well said pal :)

I moved out a good few years ago, now looking to come back for family and career change hopes.

I do notice the city I left probably isn't the one I might go back to though.

Pleased that your life is to your satisfaction and that you get to travel to make comparisons of different lifestyles and pass them onto others. Every one is entitled to this,and I'm sure the people who choose to not to consider returning to Sheffield can find good things to say about where they are now.

I thinks some opinions need to be on a basis of "been there,done that" which does not appear to be so in this case. Hope there's not a bit of jealousy in your reply.Maybe you could discuss it with Skippy

Born and bred Seffield now live in Inverness, have been back over the years, but it is not the City I grew up in.

Would I go back?

In a word NO it is not the same and parts of the Town Centre are dumps

re; previous answers to the question would I live in Sheffield, it is no better or worse than any other town but it is my town and I wouldn't like to make any where else my home. It was recently voted the friendliest place in England and to me that says it all. There are some run down areas I must admit but it only takes a few to give any area a bad name no matter where about in the world you are. Yorkshire lass from Sheffield and proud of it:love::love: