Would you move back to Sheffield

I never wanted to leave Sheffield but after getting my university degrees in the 60s I couldn't find a job in the UK, let alone Sheff. So, I moved to Canada and the longer you stay in a place, the more you come to like it. So, it's improbable that people like flyer and me who left Britain many yrs ago would want to come back. As to echo beach's puzzlement at ex pats not wanting to come back because the place has changed, I don't find that odd at all. It's partly nostalgia and partly a sincere regret that a way of life that we ex pats remember with fondness has gone. We know that cities change, but we often wonder whether the changes have been for the better. Then, there's what several posters have said about Sheffielders being friendly and down to earth people. They are. And they have a great sense of humor. That's one of the aspects of Sheffield that, thankfully, has not changed. It makes my trips back home enjoyable and to some degree, compensates or some of the changes in the layout and lifestyle that I have trouble with.

Nicely put rogG and they are my sentiments exactly, I have seen this thread for quite some time and have purposely not posted for fear of offending someone. I have lived in Canada for more years than I ever lived in England but I still use my Sheffield and Yorkshire sensibility in all manner of things and it has never let me down yet, in fact I am sure I have profited from it.

Edited by fleetwood

Don't worry about offending anyone because you cant offend a TRUE Yorkie hope I inherited the wry (if not warped) sense of humor it does seem to be sadly lacking by some

Nicely put rogG and they are my sentiments exactly, I have seen this thread for quite some time and have purposely not posted for fear of offending someone. I have lived in Canada for more years than I ever lived in England but I still use my Sheffield and Yorkshire sensibility in all manner of things and it has never let me down yet, in fact I am sure I have profited from it.
This thread has much in common with many previous ones, but one thing that posters - at home or abroad - on these threads have in common is their Sheffield heritage, and fleetwood hits the nail on the head here. It seems a little pointless to say "Sheffield has changed" when everywhere has changed, especially in the years since my (baby boom) generation were growing up. I suppose it's natural to look back on one's youth with a certain nostalgia, and to think that things were better then. Well, to take one aspect of days gone by, I wouldn't want to wake up in a freezing cold bedroom and go down two flights of stairs and across the yard to the toilet, only to find the Tilley lamp had gone out in the night and it was frozen solid.

In reply to one point that was raised, as I previously pointed out there was more violent crime in years gone by than nowadays and things are still improving, but most of our lives were not touched by this. Yes - there seemed to be more "community spirit" in the 1940s and 1950s (this was partly the subject of an interview I gave for a housing professionals' journal - click here to read it; I'm the littlest one in the 1951 photo.:)). But the future is more important than the past, and I think Sheffield has done very well to re-invent itself, having lost 80% of the jobs in heavy industry. Job creation in the public and service sectors mean that the city's unemployment rate compares well with other cities, and Sheffield is still a good place to live

To answer the OP's question "Would you move back to Sheffield" my answer would be "no". Of course, being retired I can live more-or-less where I choose to live, and a little corner of North Lincolnshire suits me fine - but I am glad that I came from Sheffield.

What I like about this thread is the people who have contributed. The last letter hillsboro posted is one of the best amongst many and just to live alongside Sheffielders is a big bonus which he clearly demonstrates.

I've lived in over 20 countries and they all have their good and bad points as we all know but when I return to Sheffield a great burden appears to drop from my shoulders.

I lived in N.Lincolnshire, Epworth for 4 summers and it was very friendly but even there the people are a bit reserved.

Would I move back to Sheffield, no, I'm too old and I couldn't afford it.

---------- Post added 22-12-2013 at 09:32 ----------

Also I see the Canadian contingent have adopted the N. American spelling which I have avoided despite having lived in Florida for the last twenty years, I don't like Websters, it was a language devised for the immigrant population with no English so Webster simplified it but I was taught English and I'm not going to give it up. I hope I haven't offended anyone but I do wish correct English as in the Oxford dictionary was respected and used more.

Hi Da link went - I also prefer "the Queen's English" and as a spare-time writer/proofreader/translator I use it without exception. As for Epworth folk they may perhaps be a race apart, though here on the edge of Scunthorpe the local gene pool has been enriched by generations of Sheffield steelworkers who migrated eastwards!.:)

Then where would we be today without the constant change in the English language Maybe we should all have a copy of Chaucer ,I know i spent hrs trying to decypher that brand of English,PS blind as a bat lucky I can get any words almost correct on screen LOL

Then where would we be today without the constant change in the English language ...
All languages evolve and it's a good thing they do - but it's vocabulary and word usage that change most. Spelling is a rather different matter - spellings do change over time but more subtly, unless new spellings are imposed. The Queen's English evolves along with its users' preferences.
... Chaucer ,I know i spent hrs trying to decypher that brand of English...
But it's dead easy: "Whan that Aprille with his shoures soote, the droghte of Marche hath perced to the roote...." :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

All languages evolve and it's a good thing they do - but it's vocabulary and word usage that change most. Spelling is a rather different matter - spellings do change over time but more subtly, unless new spellings are imposed. The Queen's English evolves along with its users' preferences.But it's dead easy: "Whan that Aprille with his shoures soote, the droghte of Marche hath perced to the roote...." :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Must admit did get something out of the one story ,Last line Women just want to hold court over men ,So nothing much changed they still want to be BOSS:D:D:D

I LOVE SHEFFIELD

They best people on earth live in Sheffield

want to be buried in Sheffield

god bless Sheffield and all the people in it

makes me feel great

when i leave IT to go away

it makes me cry

please AL mighty god look after SHEFFIELD.

MUZZEY

I LOVE SHEFFIELD

They best people on earth live in Sheffield

want to be buried in Sheffield

god bless Sheffield and all the people in it

makes me feel great

when i leave IT to go away

it makes me cry

please AL mighty god look after SHEFFIELD.

MUZZEY

He better, it sounds as if Allah is taking over.

Proud to have been born in Sheffield, only left to survive,but have learn that the worlds full of the best people . Merry Christmas to all the Forum readers