Moving to Sheffield Shortly.

I'd strongly recommend you come up to Sheffield and spend a day driving around, as what works for you is such a personal thing. It could be that one of the newly built high-rises in the City Centre is best, or you may decide that actually the Peak District is close enough and so beautiful that it's worth the extra half an hour commute.

I applied for a job in Cambridge recently and was horrified by the property prices. I think it's worth bearing in mind that you will get more for your money up here. Oh, it's also worth bearing in mind that Sheffield was built on seven hills. That may or may not matter to you but is a noticabe difference from Cambridge.

If I were you I'd be looking at parts of Heeley (on the cheaper end), Meersbrook, Nether Edge, Hunter's Bar, Fulwood (if you can afford it). Perhaps Woodseats, Milhouses. I'd certainly avoid anywhere North or East of the city.

Dronfield? I don't know why anyone would choose to live there if they work in Sheffield, althought admittedly I've only been once or twice. Goood pubs, but if you're happy to commute that far I'd look further west.

Don't go to Rotherham unless you want to be bored to death - Dronfield is prob very nice but a bit dull. I would spend the extra money and look at S10 and S11. I live in S11 on the edge of the countryside - 20 mins from town on the bus and with country walks from my door - fantastic place to live. Very safe neighbourhoods between Hunters Bar and Ringinglow, great cafe in Endcliffe Park, lots of restaurants on Ecclesall Road, good schools and public transport. If you want something a bit cheaper look at Walkley or Meersbrook. Welcome to Sheffield.

I always find it funny reading these threads. Always the same responses about living in the snobby areas where the rich live and play. I think if you are moving up here be open to different areas of Sheffield and you will find what you want. If you limit yourselves to the areas where the people think they are better than everyone else you will be missing out. You don't have to live in the deprived areas of Sheffield but there is certainly more to Sheffield than S10, S11 and S7!

Good luck wherever you end up living I am sure you will love it. Sheffield and the surrounding areas have a lot to offer.

I always find it funny reading these threads. Always the same responses about living in the snobby areas where the rich live and play. I think if you are moving up here be open to different areas of Sheffield and you will find what you want. If you limit yourselves to the areas where the people think they are better than everyone else you will be missing out. You don't have to live in the deprived areas of Sheffield but there is certainly more to Sheffield than S10, S11 and S7!

Good luck wherever you end up living I am sure you will love it. Sheffield and the surrounding areas have a lot to offer.

Lol. Makes South West Sheffield sound like Sandbanks.

I live in Rotherham but just on the edge so I have a Sheffield address (not just postcode). I can get into Sheffield quicker than most of my friends who live in 'posh' areas of Sheffield. We are semi rural but can be on the M1, M18, A57 or A1 in ten minutes. Its easy to get to Cambridge via the A1 if you drive. Its aslo a quick drive to Doncaster or Retford for the express trains to London if you should need them.

Look at areas such as Laughton en le Morthen or Laughton Common and Wickersley, possibly some areas of Whiston. We use taxis if we go out at night and it isn't expensive if you get to know a local company and agree a fare in advance.

I think the thing I have realised I have a lot of areas to choose from. I think the next key thing is to drive around both at day but more importantly at night to see what various are like. It is quite clear that we have a lot look forward to in our new city. Thanks for all your helpful replies.

S7 S8 S10, S11 S17, all are good areas, and you should get a nice home for £700 rent. Good luck and keep us posted!

---------- Post added 19-10-2013 at 18:35 ----------

You could also get the Property paper on a Thursday, there is a rental section in that.

Agree the above codes are the ones I would look at although they cover large areas and there are suitable and unsuitable areas within them.

Also if somewhere sounds cheap it may well be that its because of the area, all depends on your priority if a sort after area is the main priority you have to accept that you probably wont get as nicer property as if its not.

Hi Kofi,

Bit of an aside, but I am Dutch and a football fan, if you are the person I know with your name you will know what I mean :)

Regardless - you will like Sheffield, for 700£ you can have a decent place almost anywhere but I agree with the general advice to look South/South-West of the city, do keep in mind that the rush-hour can be really painful into the city from there if you travel by car, again, if you are Dutch, consider living there and biking into the city, it is probably the easiest area to cycle into the city from.

Hillsborough is nice, parking isn't as bad a problem as people make out if you stay away from the main road (Middlewood Road) and live higher up the hill. The disadvantage then is that it is a longer walk to the tram-stops. Wherever you end up though, Sheffield is a nice welcoming city where you will fit in within no time.