The parkrun thread

Flanker7

I'm thinking that my target should be to learn to pace myself on the Hillsborough PR! I know there's a hill but never compensate for it! I think that's the only way I'm going to beat my PB :hihi:

Sheffield now has 5 parkruns.

About time to create somewhere to celebrate, discuss and dispute all things parkrun & Sheffield.

This week, for the first time, Sheffield could have 700 runners turning out at 9am on parkrun day. We have been close in the past but the end of holidays traditionally see's parkrun figures peaking over the whole country.

44,000 runners world wide was achieved last week and it won't be long before we hit the magic 50,000.

So lets hear about hopes and fears for this week.

Personally, I need a pb to avoid the drop out of 'the fastest 500' at Graves. I'll let you know how I get on.

Whats your target?

The Pirate, Graves - Hills & Highland Cowes

Maybe the 2 runs at Hallam idea has merit though, one for more serious runners, and a shorter one lap run for kids and slower runners. I dunno. I know there are some pretty fast kids, who leave me standing (am sure I've seen under 16's doing RV park run in sub 18 mins). Just getting the balance right, I guess, to keep everyone happy (other non-running park users too). :-)

There are Sheffield Schools Cross Country races, and they don't run anywhere near 5km until they get to Year 10/11 (14-16 years old).

My worry has always been who takes responsibility for the kids? Yes there is an online form, but would that hold up in court should there be an accident?

The athletics and cross country bodies have guidelines on how far kids should be running.

There are Sheffield Schools Cross Country races, and they don't run anywhere near 5km until they get to Year 10/11 (14-16 years old).

My worry has always been who takes responsibility for the kids?

err parents... :suspect:

Seriously - My view is the quickest way to put kids off running and sport in general is to force them to get up early on a saturday morning and force them to run round a park in freezing cold weather for nothing.

My worry has always been who takes responsibility for the kids? Yes there is an online form, but would that hold up in court should there be an accident?

The athletics and cross country bodies have guidelines on how far kids should be running.

there are guidelines on how far a child can RACE not run. parkrun is a run not a race. interestingly someone i know put their garmin on their son during a U11 football game interested in how far he ran in the game. result = 4.2miles in the 72min he played. kids play in the playgrounds at dinner and probably do more running around than 5k. i know i played football on a conctrete court for a full hour when i was at school. pretty certain I did more than 5k. should we stop kids doing this? I played 80min of rugby twice a week from u13 to u18 as well as football every day. too much running there? kenyan/ephiopian kids run miles every day to get to school. our nanny state making kids weak and soft? and fat?

the IAAF rules are bad but UKA rules are plain stupid and could be the reason we are no longer a force on the marathon scene. parkrun hopefully addressing that

err parents... :suspect:

Seriously - My view is the quickest way to put kids off running and sport in general is to force them to get up early on a saturday morning and force them to run round a park in freezing cold weather for nothing.

As Event director of hillsborough parkrun i get regular feedback from kids and their parents. the kids love the parkrun. trust me, a child wouldnt run if they didnt enjoy it. its an accomplishment for them to get their 10 run t-shirts. children under 11 need to be accompanied by an adult at all times.

there are guidelines on how far a child can RACE not run. parkrun is a run not a race. interestingly someone i know put their garmin on their son during a U11 football game interested in how far he ran in the game. result = 4.2miles in the 72min he played. kids play in the playgrounds at dinner and probably do more running around than 5k. i know i played football on a conctrete court for a full hour when i was at school. pretty certain I did more than 5k. should we stop kids doing this? I played 80min of rugby twice a week from u13 to u18 as well as football every day. too much running there? kenyan/ephiopian kids run miles every day to get to school. our nanny state making kids weak and soft? and fat?

the IAAF rules are bad but UKA rules are plain stupid and could be the reason we are no longer a force on the marathon scene. parkrun hopefully addressing that

As Event director of hillsborough parkrun i get regular feedback from kids and their parents. the kids love the parkrun. trust me, a child wouldnt run if they didnt enjoy it. its an accomplishment for them to get their 10 run t-shirts. children under 11 need to be accompanied by an adult at all times.

Agree 100% with your first statement.

Not so sure about the second. Out on the course at endcliffe I have seen kids crying and being pulled along by enthusiastic parents.

It's a balance between carrot and stick...

Did Graves Park again his morning - really great atmosphere - complete with a goat escaping in the rare breeds centre and completing a rather quick and short run before it was captured and returned home. Some great people around and really good weather for it today :)

Did Graves Park again his morning - really great atmosphere - complete with a goat escaping in the rare breeds centre and completing a rather quick and short run before it was captured and returned home. Some great people around and really good weather for it today :)

Did the goat manage to get an official finishing time? :-)

I did Castle again this week; fairly slow time, but great for a bit of hill training...

Did the Sheep manage to get an official finishing time? :-)

I did Castle again this week; fairly slow time, but great for a bit of hill training...

Nah....no Baaaaaaaaaa code ,no time :hihi:*gets coat"

Did the usual Parkrun at Clifton again and managed 2nd place in 20:10 Hoping to stay around this time consistanly this year :)