The parkrun thread

Good man.I always do at least one lap warm up generally its two just to get the blood flowing :thumbsup:

Yes and it always staggers me how little warm up people do.

Been to RV (and any park run I suppose) pouring with rain and people stood about talking or doing tricep stretches and touching their toes. Maybe they have never realised that they aren't included in the race :rolleyes:

People stood on the start line shivering and I am usually on the verge of sweating... Pretty hard to go from shivering to redlining it...

Horses for courses I suppose :loopy:

Yes and it always staggers me how little warm up people do.

Been to RV (and any park run I suppose) pouring with rain and people stood about talking or doing tricep stretches and touching their toes. Maybe they have never realised that they aren't included in the race :rolleyes:

People stood on the start line shivering and I am usually on the verge of sweating... Pretty hard to go from shivering to redlining it...

Horses for courses I suppose :loopy:

No, it just depends. For some folk, parkrun will be their only or longest run of the week so warming up is a waste of energy.

Personally, sometimes I run there (which is 2 miles mostly uphill) and so I`m a bit tired already. When I did Hallam, I spent ages warming up including some drills but also I have been known to roll up a bit groggy and stagger around. At end of the day, it`s not a race.

No, it just depends. For some folk, parkrun will be their only or longest run of the week so warming up is a waste of energy.

Personally, sometimes I run there (which is 2 miles mostly uphill) and so I`m a bit tired already. When I did Hallam, I spent ages warming up including some drills but also I have been known to roll up a bit groggy and stagger around. At end of the day, it`s not a race.

All true - but I *was* replying to winemasters point.

Agree that different people use it for different things. I noticed a while back that NOTHING coming from Park run - txts/emails & verbage used by race directors etc mentions the word race. Must be something to do with the permissions for venues.

Personally I use it as a training race

---------- Post added 15-04-2014 at 15:05 ----------

edit - different people use it for different things is part of the appeal.:)

At the moment, I am coaching a novice lady triathlete and just prescribed park run every week as a non negotiable thing to do.

For Parkrun to have permissions to use public parks it has to be officially a "run" not a "race" hence the first person over the finish line is called "First finisher".

I'm now using the Parkrun as my main speed session every four weeks and trying to keep to a consistant sub 21:00 on the other three.

This weekends effort came out of the blue with a totally unexpected PB 19:21 and was the first run in a long long time that I had no niggles to contend with :)

Sheffield Park Run Attendances for Saturday 12th April 2014

58 - Concord

152 - Graves Park

115 - Hillsborough

45 - Castle

455 - Hallam

Total = 825

Rotherham Park Runs - Saturday 12th April 2014

40 - Rotherham

No Rother Valley Run due to a 10k that morning

Total = 40

Apologies for the late update - hope the weather is good for the coming weekend!

Edited by barnie41

4553 - Hallam

I was at Hallam and can confirm that there were 4553 people there :hihi:

I took two steps forward at the start, got sandwiched between two people and couldn't move.

For Parkrun to have permissions to use public parks it has to be officially a "run" not a "race" hence the first person over the finish line is called "First finisher".

I'm now using the Parkrun as my main speed session every four weeks and trying to keep to a consistant sub 21:00 on the other three.

This weekends effort came out of the blue with a totally unexpected PB 19:21 and was the first run in a long long time that I had no niggles to contend with :)

Wow! Cracking time. I`m at 20.46, I think, so close enough to dream of a sub-20 but I know that it would need a fair bit more focussed training than I do at the mo. Not really bothered with speedwork since entering 2014 with a couple of niggles.

I was at Hallam and can confirm that there were 4553 people there :hihi:

I took two steps forward at the start, got sandwiched between two people and couldn't move.

Only just a record attendance then lol - thanks for that and suitably amended :hihi:

Wow! Cracking time. I`m at 20.46, I think, so close enough to dream of a sub-20 but I know that it would need a fair bit more focussed training than I do at the mo. Not really bothered with speedwork since entering 2014 with a couple of niggles.

Cheers Jemson, I've now gone sub 20 on 3 different parkruns Barnsley, Rother Valley and Rotherham (x3) and hopefully if things stay as they are and the timing's right with conditions a trip to RV on a Saturday morning may well produce a sub 19.

I'd also point out I haven't done any specific training for the 5k's just regular easy runs / tempo session and a long run each week so stick at it at it will happen.

Good luck :)

Over half (only just) the field getting PB's at Graves this morning, that's 69 PB's out of 137 finishers! (17 first timers though). I estimate they've shortened the course by about 15-20 seconds.

I missed out on a PB by 12 seconds. Ah well. Maybe next week. How did everyone else get on?

sorry for only replying to this.

if parkrun was a race not a run:-

• there could be no runners under 16yr old allowed to participate
    • no pushchairs or dogs would be able to participate
    • the insurance rate would mean parkrun would have to charge
    • over 500 runners would mean the attendance of professional emergency services, ie. an ambulance

there are many other reasons but these are some of the main problems. us Event directors etc have to be careful in what we post concerning this

Over half (only just) the field getting PB's at Graves this morning, that's 69 PB's out of 137 finishers! (17 first timers though). I estimate they've shortened the course by about 15-20 seconds.

I missed out on a PB by 12 seconds. Ah well. Maybe next week. How did everyone else get on?

Unlucky Waldo, mebbe next week :)

I had a steady one today 21:47 as I jogged it both there and back for a nice 20 miler, 5 miles further than I had previously ran :)