Gunstones Bakery

I worked there years ago when I was 18. It was very badly run then. Nowadays it's most immigrants that work there it seems. The 9.30 bus up there from Sheffield is absolutely packed with asians going to work there.

Its no better now, I was there for a year and only just recently left, its chaos in the chilled section whatever shift you are on, they expect more production on nights with less staff than the days and afters shift, its just totally miss-managed and its a really stressful environment to work in, like I said its all down to lack of training, the managers there should not be managers at all, on nights there were three production controllers yet nothing ever ran smoothly, another major factor was lack of maintenance on machines and equipment, the place is an absolute joke and I dont know how its stayed open as long as it has.

---------- Post added 22-08-2013 at 16:08 ----------

Lets hope someone 'in charge' reads this and takes action!! Sounds a cr*p place.

To solve the problems they would have to get rid of the present management, and employ seasoned managers in all departments, its that bad there, training is the key factor and its nonexistent at Gunstones, people are put on jobs and just expected to the job right from day one, the section leaders have no people management skill's, and often treat staff with no respect, I on several occasions I took a section leader to one side, after they spoke to me like dirt, and told them respect is earned, wearing a red hat does not automatically get you respect , that comes from speaking to people properly and treating them ok..something I did when I was section leader with another company.

In my induction when I first started with the Gunstones the, HR liaison said he didn't know why Gunstones had such a high turn over of staff, he later told us the rate of pay, which many people told him was rubbish for nights..the HR liaison stated "If you dont like the wage there is the door we can easily replace you" at which point I told him you just answered you own question of why Gunstones has a high turnover of staff..its because you dont respect them.

I worked there years ago when I was 18. It was very badly run then. Nowadays it's most immigrants that work there it seems. The 9.30 bus up there from Sheffield is absolutely packed with asians going to work there.

Asians have been working in gunstones for years, my mates worked there about 20yrs ago.

Seems to be staffed by immigrants by the look of the workers at finishing time?

it is mainly immigrants, from the Ukraine, Poland,Russia from India,Pakistan,Africa, and some are genuinely really nice people and work really hard, but to do a job you need to be able to speak the same language or it makes the job twice as hard and stressful when the job has to be done quickly and to a time limit, there is also the health and safety aspect as well.

Its Always the Case in Food Factories, You are always going to Get Low Wages with no Guarantee of Contracted Hours, And the work is always Repetitive & Tedious , you should know that, Thats Why these Places are for Foreign People who Can't speak good English & who cant Get a Job in a Bank or Office etc.

If your Going to Work here, then i Suggest It be Short Lived, As you might End up Working Here for Rest of your Life.

I used to work for Gunstones Bakery, I advise anyone looking to be employed by them to do a 360 and run in the other direction, there is a huge problem that starts at the top and runs all through the company, they are very disorganized in every aspect of the running of their company. they have many problems, lack of training in management, this is from the top down to the section leaders running the production lines, they have no clue how to talk to employee's in a respectful way, the Union there is useless, HR has not a clue about basic employee rights or statuary law, many of the staff cannot speak English, so its sometimes impossible to do your job correctly because you have to do it on your own because you cant ask for help, this also is very dangerous and is a health and safety risk.

They had a fire alarm go off one day, instead of the section leaders getting people out slowly they just left people to do a mad rush towards the fire doors, of course this lead to a bottle neck effect, if it had been a real fire, the casualties would have been high..also no register was taken by section leaders to make sure everyone was out.

My advice is to steer clear of Gunstones Bakery it has a high turn over of staff for good reason.

I worked for gunstones 10 years ago. I originally worked through Labour Ready (they have now gone so that says something about them) I then signed up with gunstones direct. The pay was good but the line manager I had was a bully and I don't use that term lightly. I was lucky I could afford to walk out at that time and did. I never looked back. Unfortunatly it seems they are getting worse.

The management at Gunstones bakery are renowned for being complete idiots who don't have a clue what they are doing. Not working at Gunstones would probably be the best thing for him in the long run as you get treated like dirt when you are there.

More people at Gunstones are off with stress/depression than any other place I have worked at.

What I have discovered about the management there is the reason they are so terrible is because to get a management job there its all done by sucking up to the right people and not based on work merrit. Due to this you have people in high position jobs who don't have a clue what they're doing and the real people with brains are left stuck at the bottom, not wanting to apply for promotion because their moral has just been beaten to a pulp and they just want to get the hell out of there. Because all the line leaders and management have gotten jobs through their buddies they can pretty much say and do what ever they want and treat people however they want and nothing will ever get said. The union there is also a joke who will always side with management and HR over employees. The place is a joke

Edited by TheDragonMan

I used to deliver flour there a couple of years back,from day one I was disrespected by the moronic staff on the loading bay.They were picking on the wrong bloke as I smartened up the brain dead straight away,they bided their time and kept at it every time I showed my face.It came to a head one day when one of them a woman as it turned out was whipping on and off my trailer with her fork lift too fast,I told her to slow down she ignored me and hit the curtain support pole bending it badly.I was stuck there 45mins while their fitters straightened it out making me late for my other drops,next visit I asked where she was and was told she was off that day,"Thank Christ for that!"says I.That was all I said when I returned to base I was told I was banned from the site,their tender feelings had been upset by my callous remark,they did me a favour because I detested going there to deal with all the ignorant thickos anyhow!.