Gunstones Bakery

Agency work. Might as well rob what you can when you get the chance, because your a piece of dirt with no rights, security, and your wages are poor. They joys of employment in the UK.

What a load of scrotum you do talk.

https://www.gov.uk/agency-workers-your-rights/your-rights-as-a-temporary-agency-worker

No rights, no security, poor wages my ass. Thanks to the 2011 regulations agency staff have even more rights than ever before.

Agency work got my foot in the door with some of a largest companies I have ever had in my career. If you are prepared to show willing it can often lead to a permenant post.

Try working yourself Chem1st and you might learn something one day.

Agency workers need a union and better working conditions. It's a strange world when people in the so called 1st world, working in food factories go hungry.

Of course we need both these things but it nigh on impossible to organise any collective bargaining in a casualised workforce.

What a load of scrotum you do talk.

https://www.gov.uk/agency-workers-your-rights/your-rights-as-a-temporary-agency-worker

No rights, no security, poor wages my ass. Thanks to the 2011 regulations agency staff have even more rights than ever before.

Agency work got my foot in the door with some of a largest companies I have ever had in my career. If you are prepared to show willing it can often lead to a permenant post.

Try working yourself Chem1st and you might learn something one day.

0 hours contracts ring a bell to you? Many agency workers are exploited.

I have worked, studied, studied and worked, been unemployed, I been self employed, PAYE employed in private and public sector, I have worked for agencies. I do work.

0 hours contracts ring a bell to you? Many agency workers are exploited.

I have worked, studied, studied and worked, been unemployed, I been self employed, PAYE employed in private and public sector, I have worked for agencies. I do work.

Yes of course I have heard of zero hour contracts and there are two sides to everything. Not every company uses them to "exploit". Not every company uses them at all. Define exactly what "exploit" is anyway. It makes perfect sense to me if you have a job in a industry with fluctuating demand to have such a thing. What business is going to survive paying for staff they dont need - that's the nature of lots of agency work, it can mean short notice and ad hoc demand. If you dont like it, look for something else. It suits some people who may use it as a second income, have children, are semi retired, are students looking for a work during a holiday period...etc...etc.

I have worked casually in my younger days in the hotel industry and spent weeks with nothing then suddenly a back to back rota of shifts with little notice depending on function bookings. Many roles by thier nature are seasonal and thus not uncommon for whole areas of workers to be laid off for the summer or winter months.

OK so you finally admit you have worked. In that case why not show you have intelligence and stop making every employer out to be an victorian workhouse dictator. You will know full well that worker's rights exist. You will know full well that the employment laws offer protection for both employees and agency staff.

Your constant attacks (which are often downright rude) against anyone who dares to be anything other than a regular joe on the shop floor, be it an employer, company owner or landlord, are becoming increasingly tiresome. The world is not fair. Society will NEVER be equal. People will NEVER be paid equal. Land and resources are not infinite. Land and resources cost money. The state does not owe anyone a lifestyle.

It cannot and will NEVER work like that. I have raised this matter with you several times.

If everyone on the shop floor had a pay rise, all the supervisors would want a pay rise and the managers would want a pay rise which means the owners would want more out for their investment thus leading to price increases.

Price increases lead to less value to ones salary and cost of living increases which will mean everyone will demand a pay rise again.

Round and round and round we go until eventually BOOM something has to give.

Permanent staff get paid time and a half on Saturdays and also get paid double time on Sundays. Most permanent staff at Gunstones bakery are contracted to work 10 hours per day and can leave at 5:10, but agency staff have to remain and stay over and work 12 hours depending on supply and demand.

From my experience most workers at gunstones bakery are treated like numbers, permanent or not, but I guess that is the case with most jobs in factories these days, the managers also get really agitated if you ask them any questions regarding holidays or about wages. :suspect:

The wages at Gunstones are good if you are a permanent worker, but the amount of slack that comes with it, makes you think if it's worth it or not.

Edited by DunkinDonut
missing word

Agency work. Might as well rob what you can when you get the chance, because your a piece of dirt with no rights, security, and your wages are poor. They joys of employment in the UK.

With an attitude like this, no wonder the place is full of East Europeans who are willing to work and let the low life English stop in bed.

No they don't want to work in Bakery Industry as you put it,they just keep getting sent to these stupid jobs by there advisers who think it's a job don't matter get them off there job system but there not happening are they,all I am asking is has anyone else had the same problem!

No they don't want to work in Bakery Industry as you put it,they just keep getting sent to these stupid jobs by there advisers who think it's a job don't matter get them off there job system but there not happening are they,all I am asking is has anyone else had the same problem!

Why don't they get signed up with a real agency? There's loads in Sheffield, they could get an office admin/temp job easily, a few of my mates have gone down this route in the last few years due to redundancy... They're all in permanent work now because of it.

• 3 months later...

I used to work for Gunstones Bakery, I advise anyone looking to be employed by them to do a 360 and run in the other direction, there is a huge problem that starts at the top and runs all through the company, they are very disorganized in every aspect of the running of their company. they have many problems, lack of training in management, this is from the top down to the section leaders running the production lines, they have no clue how to talk to employee's in a respectful way, the Union there is useless, HR has not a clue about basic employee rights or statuary law, many of the staff cannot speak English, so its sometimes impossible to do your job correctly because you have to do it on your own because you cant ask for help, this also is very dangerous and is a health and safety risk.

They had a fire alarm go off one day, instead of the section leaders getting people out slowly they just left people to do a mad rush towards the fire doors, of course this lead to a bottle neck effect, if it had been a real fire, the casualties would have been high..also no register was taken by section leaders to make sure everyone was out.

My advice is to steer clear of Gunstones Bakery it has a high turn over of staff for good reason.