Never give your money to Charities.

Should we now stop donating our money to most organised charities?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Should we now stop donating our money to most organised charities?

I know from working in this field there is so many corrupt agencies, charity workers, CEO’s bonuses, admin costs, training providers, end of year celebration events, literature promotional packs, advertising etc etc and god knows how many other people with their fingers in the pie to pay for, rarely does any of the money donated reaches the people it is intended to help.

And helping a charitable cause isn’t always about giving money, eg you can donate your time, give blood or simply find a person in need, help a neighbour, there is always someone worse off than yourself and you never have to look that far either.

In nearly all cases you will always do a better job of helping someone yourself than donating to charity, so should we now stop donating our money to charities and do the good deeds ourselves?

I know from working in this field there is so many corrupt agencies, charity workers, CEO’s bonuses, admin costs, training providers, end of year celebration events, literature promotional packs, advertising etc etc and god knows how many other people with their fingers in the pie to pay for, rarely does any of the money donated reaches the people it is intended to help.

I presume you have contacted the Charity Commission and complained about these charities?

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/About_us/Complaining/Complaint_about_a_charity_index.aspx

And helping a charitable cause isn’t always about giving money, eg you can donate your time, give blood or simply find a person in need, help a neighbour, there is always someone worse off than yourself and you never have to look that far either.

In nearly all cases you will always do a better job of helping someone yourself than donating to charity.

That's a pretty big claim.

Either way, you can easily look at company accounts online.

Most charities especially the bigger ones have forgotten their way.

What is wrong making sure your money is really helping people?

Why do you all trust any of these organisations to use the money for the purposes they claim? There's way too many examples of charities blowing the funds on so called 'administrative and runing costs'

'

Any large store does not have your interest at heart, at least the charity shops recycle old goods saving the council money in landfill tax.

They also give work to people that would struggle to find employment.

If people stopped giving money to charity who do you think is going to pay for all the scientific research that go's towards the various disease related charitys.

not everyone is about giving bottled water to the poor in Africa.

Any large store does not have your interest at heart, at least the charity shops recycle old goods saving the council money in landfill tax.

They also give work to people that would struggle to find employment.

That may be so, but it is not paid work. Most charity shops I know "employ" volunteers, so it's hardly putting money back into the economy. Of course, they fulfil a good role, especially nowadays. But GB plc is hardly going to start making strides on the back of town centres filled with these and not generating any added value (and before the usual culprits take issue, yes, we have donated (and still regularly do) plenty to these, most often to Bluebell Wood).

I think it depends on the charity and how donations are managed by it. geared makes a good point about funding e.g. medical research. But I don't think the Salvation Army needs a designer showcase building at the intersection of the Millenium bridge and Queen Victoria Street in the very heart of London. Bet that came in at a pretty charitable penny.

What is wrong making sure your money is really helping people?

Why do you all trust any of these organisations to use the money for the purposes they claim? There's way too many examples of charities blowing the funds on so called 'administrative and runing costs'

I understand your issues but you should be aware that some charities abide by quality rules and are inspected annually accross 12 aspects of their operations, check out PQASSO quality mark on Charity Evaluation Services website.

I've got no objection to giving money to charities however I do disagree with people knocking on doors asking for your bank detail so they can set up a direct debit.

It concerns me how many elderly and vunerable people sign up with out fully understanding what there doing.

Archived