Stop the bedroom tax - petition

There are quite a few one bedroom flats and apartments to rent in the private sector around Rotherham and Sheffield. I have been considering buying an investment property so have been taking an interest in the rental and purchase price of one bedroom apartments/flats, two bed flats and semis and three bed semis. I must admit I really struggle with the concept of renting, to me its too expensive. A bit of hard saving for a deposit when you are young its much better to buy than rent.

Ok, the bedroom tax is designed to

A) cut the benefit bill

B) free up housing stock

as I have explained in previous post, this will not cut the benefit bill it will only increase it as single people can claim rent through a private landlord as there are no one bed properties available through social housing. This will only increase the benefit bill.

As for freeing up housing stock, if you are not claiming any benefits you won't be affected in any way shape or form, or a pensioner, so all the under occupied houses with working people and pensioners can stay in them, where is this fair? So it's really not about freeing up houses is it? It's about squeezing as much out of the low paid and unemployed I just think it's disgusting and are allowed to implement it, I think it's totally discriminatory.

Of course this is just my view,

Do you think if the scheme is deemed to be successful it will only be those on benefits that it will be operated for?

---------- Post added 17-02-2013 at 09:30 ----------

If the media hadn't called it a tax, then it might not have concerned them so much. It isn't a tax, it's a reduction in benefits. I've been asked by people who don't get housing benefit what they'll have to pay. :roll:

Your right there. It isn't a tax at all (ie revenue making) it is a cut to benefit(so benefit reduction).

I think this article explains quite well:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21321113

Where have i put "there are no one beds in the private sector" ? maybe you are just looking to argue for arguments sake.

Look i do know something has to be done about under occupation, its been a problem in social housing for many years, i just think it is unfair, and just targeted at people on benefits and its wrong, that's all i am saying, as i have said, it won't affect me just now, but if i was to come out of work, which is possible for anyone in this current climate, it will be a big issue for me.

This B.T is not going to solve the problem of under occupation, like the micro chipping of dogs is not going to solve the issue of dangerous dogs, like the work programme is not going to solve the jobs situation, i can go on, everyone seems to be moaning about how bad things are but no one is doing anything about anything, pfft,

A) cut the benefit bill

B) free up housing stock

as I have explained in previous post, this will not cut the benefit bill it will only increase it as single people can claim rent through a private landlord as there are no one bed properties available through social housing. This will only increase the benefit bill.

As for freeing up housing stock, if you are not claiming any benefits you won't be affected in any way shape or form, or a pensioner, so all the under occupied houses with working people and pensioners can stay in them, where is this fair? So it's really not about freeing up houses is it? It's about squeezing as much out of the low paid and unemployed I just think it's disgusting and are allowed to implement it, I think it's totally discriminatory.

As i understand your comment (my bold) being there would be insufficient one bed social housing arnt you advocating going into one bed private, and where am i arguing i am asking you a question, please dont try and act clever it will get the thread closed.

Edited by kidley

I couldn't possibly agree with the tax more, there are couples out there in 3-4 bed houses with all kids grown up and left home while I have friends with children in a 1 bed flat and have had to make their own bedroom with a dry wall...

Hopefully it will force the selfish out and make room for people that are overcrowded.

Force them out to where? This is a typical Tory trick aimed at victimising the poor.

Whats the point of this petition, what will it achieve it wont change any bodys mind, if by some miracle you get 1000 people to vote against the tax what are your going to do with it and what do you hope to achieve with it, Are you creating a discussion hear, or are you going to do some thing with it. I am not attacking you just interested.

What happened to working class resistance! I envy France sometimes,they wouldnt put up with this **** lying down.Each new tax here is met by the pulling down of the trowsers and turning the other cheek.Iwill set fire to the council house whats my home with myself inside before I will leave. dwp people came round the other day and i told them ive got nothing to discuss with you 2 as your just doing your jobs.Im not paying bye:mad:

---------- Post added 17-02-2013 at 12:18 ----------

What happened to working class resistance! I envy France sometimes,they wouldnt put up with this **** lying down.Each new tax here is met by the pulling down of the trowsers and turning the other cheek.Iwill set fire to the council house whats my home with myself inside before I will leave. dwp people came round the other day and i told them ive got nothing to discuss with you 2 as your just doing your jobs.Im not paying bye:mad:

Viva la resistance!

Is this bedroom tax for just council housing or does it come in from private rented flat houses etc?

The bedroom tax does NOT affect private rented flats and houses, a quick search on google brings up many resources that explain who is affected and what % of housing benefit they could lose......

http://www.housing.org.uk/policy/welfare_reform/%E2%80%98under-occupation%E2%80%99_penalty.aspx

http://bdaily.info/opinion/15-02-2013/bedroom-tax-badly-thought-out-and-landlords-lose-out/

I'm sorry, I'm not completely filled in with all the details (as a non-native of the UK) but in laymans terms, is this the way it goes...

- Someone can't afford a house / rent, so they get a council house on the cheap and subsidised by tax-payer money.

- Some people have a 1 bedroom place, then have kids, so need a bigger house - again paid by the tax payer money

- these kids grow up and move out, leaving a council house largley unused/un needed.

- parents refuse to move out because it is 'their right' to stay

- parents are being taxed on the empty rooms beause they won't down-size.

Meanwhile........

There is a family who, due to the GEC have basically lost everything and find themselves and their 3 kids out on the street. They appeal to the council for help and although The council want to help them, but they'll have to share a 1 bedroom place, because that is all that is available?

That is rediculous.

(This is a genuine query)

A) cut the benefit bill

B) free up housing stock

Check this week's Property Shop list of available properties. Currently there are almost 100 council and housing association properties advertise, nearly half of those are one bedroomed. Some are age banded at over 60, and some over 40, but many are open to any age. http://www.sheffieldpropertyshop.org.uk/fcfsprop.asp?ID=22621986DFDB47ABA3963F6E618076B3

The biggest shortage of social housing is in family sized accommodation. I know tenants who have downsized by choice, they don't get benefits and the cheaper rent and heating costs meant it was viable for them to move somewhere smaller. Also, some older people don't want the upkeep of a garden, and prefer to live in a flat where the gardens are maintained by the council or housing association. If practical help and financial support is made available then I'm sure there are many older people who'd downsize, especially if they could continue living either in their long time neighbourhood, or somewhere near family and friends.

Edited by Ms Macbeth

A) cut the benefit bill

B) free up housing stock

I agree with what you say, with very slight amendments. There are SOME smaller properties, but, IMO, they are

a) nowhere near enough in quantity,

b) not always in "desirable" areas,

c) not always well-maintained.

d) not in areas that are suitable because they are too far from the tenants' families or support networks

e) built in areas that are far from amenities like shops and public transport networks

f) built in areas where the physical terrain is not good. (EG disability bungalows and flats built on very hilly parts of the city)

I had a visit from a housing officer this week who said i would have to pay £18 for my second bedroom.

I told him i would be happy to move to a one bed in my area, his reply was " sorry there are none" & if i had a three bed there are no 2 bed available either.

If the council already have these facts i can only assume this is a revenue raising scheme.

This is part of the problem, it's a "tax" where it's "pay up or move..."

BUT!!

"What? you CAN'T move because there's no properties that meet your criteria? Tough. Pay up till something DOES come up!"

I personally don't think it is a revenue raising scheme, i think it is just one more way to lesson your benefit, and another one is, benefit claimants are not going to get increasers inline with inflation either any more.

I think the nail is firmly being hit on the head.

It is my belief that this is then agenda underlying this new legislation.

It's a two-pronged attack. Demonise the claimants, at the same time as placing them into reduced circumstances, financially. We already have soup kitchens, and food banks, trying to meet the needs of the struggling. I honestly expect the next move to be the re-introduction of the parish poor, and the Workhouses.

It's perpetuating the "benefit Claimant = Scrounger" myth that is so beloved of the red-top reader. Claimants are becoming the "UNdeserving poor".

I agree with what you say, with very slight amendments. There are SOME smaller properties, but, IMO, they are

a) nowhere near enough in quantity,

b) not always in "desirable" areas,

c) not always well-maintained.

d) not in areas that are suitable because they are too far from the tenants' families or support networks

e) built in areas that are far from amenities like shops and public transport networks

f) built in areas where the physical terrain is not good. (EG disability bungalows and flats built on very hilly parts of the city)

This is part of the problem, it's a "tax" where it's "pay up or move..."

BUT!!

"What? you CAN'T move because there's no properties that meet your criteria? Tough. Pay up till something DOES come up!"

I think the nail is firmly being hit on the head.

It is my belief that this is then agenda underlying this new legislation.

It's a two-pronged attack. Demonise the claimants, at the same time as placing them into reduced circumstances, financially. We already have soup kitchens, and food banks, trying to meet the needs of the struggling. I honestly expect the next move to be the re-introduction of the parish poor, and the Workhouses.

It's perpetuating the "benefit Claimant = Scrounger" myth that is so beloved of the red-top reader. Claimants are becoming the "UNdeserving poor".

I haven't read the whole thread so this may have come up before, but can I ask a serious question;

There are lots of empty 1 bed flats in the private sector and some of them are very nice and in good areas, but what is the position on housing benefit?

Will the council pay HB for one of these? What is the average rent on one of these and what is the limit on what the council will contribute towards the rent?

Here's some info:

Private rent

How much you get is usually based on the Local Housing Allowance Limit in your area, your income and circumstances.

Property Weekly amount

1 bedroom (or shared accommodation) Up to £250

2 bedrooms Up to £290

3 bedrooms Up to £340

4 bedrooms Up to £400

From here:

https://www.gov.uk/housing-benefit/what-youll-get