Stop the bedroom tax - petition

yes private as well if your on housing benefit

Ok, the bedroom tax is designed to

A) cut the benefit bill

B) free up housing stock

as I have explained in previous post, this will not cut the benefit bill it will only increase it as single people can claim rent through a private landlord as there are no one bed properties available through social housing. This will only increase the benefit bill.

As for freeing up housing stock, if you are not claiming any benefits you won't be affected in any way shape or form, or a pensioner, so all the under occupied houses with working people and pensioners can stay in them, where is this fair? So it's really not about freeing up houses is it? It's about squeezing as much out of the low paid and unemployed I just think it's disgusting and are allowed to implement it, I think it's totally discriminatory.

Of course this is just my view,

I had a visit from a housing officer this week who said i would have to pay £18 for my second bedroom.

I told him i would be happy to move to a one bed in my area, his reply was " sorry there are none" & if i had a three bed there are no 2 bed available either.

If the council already have these facts i can only assume this is a revenue raising scheme.

Ok, the bedroom tax is designed to

A) cut the benefit bill

B) free up housing stock

as I have explained in previous post, this will not cut the benefit bill it will only increase it as single people can claim rent through a private landlord as there are no one bed properties available through social housing.

As for freeing up housing stock, if you are not claiming any benefits you won't be affected in any way shape or form, or a pensioner, so all the under occupied houses with working people and pensioners can stay in them, where is this fair? So it's really not about freeing up houses is it? It's about squeezing as much out of the low paid and unemployed I just think it's disgusting and are allowed to implement it, I think it's totally discriminatory.

Of course this is just my view,

My Bold

What makes you think there are many one beds in the private sector.

Couldnt agree more. Hit the nail in the head. The annoying thing is people talking crap! I saw a fb post by the bnp about a woman with 2 sons fighting in afghan will lose her 3 bed house!! Yea right! Course she wont as they will stillbbe regiatered as living there! And the elderly wont be bullied out its aimed mostly at the middle aged people whos kids gave flown the nest! Its social housing based on need not want. Want a spare bedroom or 2 buy a house! X

Actually its you that is talking crap, the woman who has 2 sons in Afghanistan will be affected by the bedroom tax. No, pensioners wont be bullies into giving up their homes as it does not affect pensioners.

As there are not enough smaller properties for people to downsize to, what do you suggest they do ?

send lot of it back to basics.....benefits pft!! brought nothing but trouble. you could go on and on!!!

capital punishment

loss of human rights for prisoners

........ endless

i think its a good step. let people pay for the room which isnt occupied.

---------- Post added 16-02-2013 at 22:27 ----------

I had a visit from a housing officer this week who said i would have to pay £18 for my second bedroom.

I told him i would be happy to move to a one bed in my area, his reply was " sorry there are none" & if i had a three bed there are no 2 bed available either.

If the council already have these facts i can only assume this is a revenue raising scheme.

join homeswapper and exchange :) that way you can choose where you want to go :)

I personally don't think it is a revenue raising scheme, i think it is just one more way to lesson your benefit, and another one is, benefit claimants are not going to get increasers inline with inflation either any more.

Actually its you that is talking crap, the woman who has 2 sons in Afghanistan will be affected by the bedroom tax. No, pensioners wont be bullies into giving up their homes as it does not affect pensioners.

As there are not enough smaller properties for people to downsize to, what do you suggest they do ?

Quite a lot of pensioners could well be affected once Universal Credit is introduced: http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/tenancies/67000-pensioners-to-be-hit-by-bedroom-tax/6525753.article

Quite a lot of pensioners could well be affected once Universal Credit is introduced: http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/tenancies/67000-pensioners-to-be-hit-by-bedroom-tax/6525753.article
Pensioners are already affected they get it in there head there going to be charged for the extra bedrooms and move, even though at the moment there not going to be charged. :(

Pensioners are already affected they get it in there head there going to be charged for the extra bedrooms and move, even though at the moment there not going to be charged. :(

If the media hadn't called it a tax, then it might not have concerned them so much. It isn't a tax, it's a reduction in benefits. I've been asked by people who don't get housing benefit what they'll have to pay. :roll:

I can't understand some of the comments that have been posted. If you rent a house you can never say you have that home for life. I understand people taking pride in their homes but why spend a large amount of money renovanting somewhere that isn't theirs? If they have the money to be able do renovate and furnish nicely then why not buy a property?

Why should people be subsidised to stay in a property too big for their needs when others in need are overcrowded?

My Bold

What makes you think there are many one beds in the private sector.

Where have i put "there are no one beds in the private sector" ? maybe you are just looking to argue for arguments sake.

Look i do know something has to be done about under occupation, its been a problem in social housing for many years, i just think it is unfair, and just targeted at people on benefits and its wrong, that's all i am saying, as i have said, it won't affect me just now, but if i was to come out of work, which is possible for anyone in this current climate, it will be a big issue for me.

This B.T is not going to solve the problem of under occupation, like the micro chipping of dogs is not going to solve the issue of dangerous dogs, like the work programme is not going to solve the jobs situation, i can go on, everyone seems to be moaning about how bad things are but no one is doing anything about anything, pfft,