Stop the bedroom tax - petition

Whats the point of this petition, what will it achieve it wont change any bodys mind, if by some miracle you get 1000 people to vote against the tax what are your going to do with it and what do you hope to achieve with it, Are you creating a discussion hear, or are you going to do some thing with it. I am not attacking you just interested.

some people have spent a lot of money making ther homes nice and children have grown up and left home so why would they want to move

They wont want to. But is it right to occupy a 3 bedroom house paid for through benefits if you live alone?

I do think they should be provided with like for like though - a nice garden/decorated home should be replaced with the same.

They wont want to. But is it right to occupy a 3 bedroom house paid for through benefits if you live alone?

I do think they should be provided with like for like though - a nice garden/decorated home should be replaced with the same.

Although I agree to an extent with the principle behind paying benefits for the right size of home, I don't think its fair to introduce it in this way. After letting people believe they had a home for life the government has suddenly changed the rules. Some will have worked hard and paid their rent for most of the time they've lived there, but circumstances may have resulted in them depending on benefits just as the rules change. However, I feel we should be encouraging single people on benefits to downsize from family sized homes, especially as heating a smaller home will normally cost less.

Although I agree to an extent with the principle behind paying benefits for the right size of home, I don't think its fair to introduce it in this way. After letting people believe they had a home for life the government has suddenly changed the rules. Some will have worked hard and paid their rent for most of the time they've lived there, but circumstances may have resulted in them depending on benefits just as the rules change. I feel we should be encouraging people on benefits to downsize, especially as heating a smaller home will normally cost less.

How would you encourage? perhaps by the payment of a grant ? I could go with that.

I agree circumstances change - but isn't that why they no longer need the larger property anyway?

I couldn't possibly agree with the tax more, there are couples out there in 3-4 bed houses with all kids grown up and left home while I have friends with children in a 1 bed flat and have had to make their own bedroom with a dry wall...

Hopefully it will force the selfish out and make room for people that are overcrowded.

I agree here - This is exactly what i am doing - I'm quite happy to move into a 1 bedroom flat and let my 3 bedroom house go to a family - I once lived in a 1 bed flat in London with a husband and 2 children for years before we moved t Sheffield. It was hell. 3 bedroom houses usually come with huge gardens and hedges - as we get older, it becomes more like a chore. For me, the bedroom tax has actually been a blessing. It made me do something about finding somewhere else to live.

one main problem is the cost of moving,carpets,decore ect,also pensioners dont count and they often wish to move,but do request house for a bungalow.also if everyone asked to move

the council dont have enough flats for them to downsize to so in my opinion its not a fare tax unless you can offer a place for people to move to

some people have spent a lot of money making ther homes nice and children have grown up and left home so why would they want to move

I rent privately and I've been forced to move out of 3 properties in the last 5 years due to landlords selling or extending their properties and I pay for it all out of my own pocket. So while I take your point that they would not want to move (after all, turkeys don't vote for xmas), I don't see why people who have taxpayers paying their rent for them should also be shielded from stuff that private renters have to put up with all the time!

one main problem is the cost of moving,carpets,decore ect,also pensioners dont count and they often wish to move,but do request house for a bungalow.also if everyone asked to move

the council dont have enough flats for them to downsize to so in my opinion its not a fare tax unless you can offer a place for people to move to

I think the removal costs should be made - and like for like accommodation given or grant for carpets/ decor.

Agree that unless there is an alternative (within say 3 mile radius of current home) then it seems unfair for penalties to be imposed.