Stop the bedroom tax - petition

[quote name=single person on benefits may not have any money to pay for removals, for their flooring or curtains to be refitted or renewed.

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/tenancies/richmond-council-agrees-%C2%A3150000-downsizing-pot/6522115.article

yes this is a huge problem - I'm moving from a 3 bed to a 1 bed next week accumalating cost of everything you have to do. I'm quite happy to move to a smaller place - my house is too much for one person, but the cost of starting again!!!! I've only been here 3 years and moving again is proving very expensive given I haven't quite paid off those costs yet. Half my furniture is going to the charity shop, a quarter going to the tip (like single mattresses and other worn out stuff that i don't need) and ruthlessly have had to choose which quarter i wish to keep. It's very difficult leaving a beautifully decorated house - with a fence and gate I'm still paying for on credit, a lovely planted back garden, and having to rip up the carpets and tiles I laid...why can't the next people benefit from my flooring if it's nice? and the new place has no flooring, and i need more electric sockets and the cooker has to be reconnected.

Although I have thankfully found some very reasonably priced removal help for my shed, piano and house on SF, it is still nonetheless an additional expense. If i received a relocation grant - even to cover half of it, I would be happier. There just doesn't seem to be any incentive to move - just the ftightening threat of the bedroom Tax starting in April - and worry about accumalating rent arrears.

I think if people are prepared to give up their home that they invested a lot of time, effort and money in, then it would be fair to at least help them to pay the removal bill. Collectively mine stands at £600.

---------- Post added 16-02-2013 at 00:55 ----------

Couldnt agree more. Hit the nail in the head. The annoying thing is people talking crap! I saw a fb post by the bnp about a woman with 2 sons fighting in afghan will lose her 3 bed house!! Yea right! Course she wont as they will stillbbe regiatered as living there! And the elderly wont be bullied out its aimed mostly at the middle aged people whos kids gave flown the nest! Its social housing based on need not want. Want a spare bedroom or 2 buy a house! X

i have to agree in principle - as i have said in previous post - I'm moving from a 3 bed to a 1 bed and quite happy to do it even with the extra debts it will cause.

However - i failed to mention that Ii have a 14 year old son who lives with dad. One of us will have to sleep on the sofa or use a blow up airbed in the lounge if theres space when he comes to visit. If he ever wants to come and live with Mum again - and that is a possibility - that will be yet another house move.

I have had to assure him that Mum moving to a 1 bed doesn't mean i don't love him and want him living with me. But no-one can truely know how he will feel about that in later life.

Ditto the Foster carers - what a selfless act this is to open your home and take care of someone elses kids in trouble - and give them some love when theres a crisis at home. Why are they been persecuted with the bedroom tax. That is definately so wrong. The real 'givers' in society are being penalised. That......is truely disgraceful.

I think if someone has a child under the age of 18 in full time education, then that is not an empty bedroom

So i agree in principle and going with the flow - but it's not as Black and White as that - some people are really going to suffer because of the bedroom tax and they don't deserve it. The knock on effect will be catastrophic in years to come.

Edited by Blinks
seems i copied and pasted twice

I couldn't possibly agree with the tax more, there are couples out there in 3-4 bed houses with all kids grown up and left home while I have friends with children in a 1 bed flat and have had to make their own bedroom with a dry wall...

Hopefully it will force the selfish out and make room for people that are overcrowded.

So working people aren't selfish then? this will only affect people on benefits and of working age, i agree something should be done about housing, but why target people on benefit? why not people who are working who under occupy 2/3/4 bed properties not "forced" to move out? you are generalising here, not everyone on benefits are unemployed either

---------- Post added 16-02-2013 at 11:11 ----------

I don't think people should sign it. I don't think we should be giving free money to people to pay for bedrooms they don't need.

If they NEED the bedrooms they don't need to worry. If they don't need the bedroom they should do the decent thing and move somewhere smaller to vacate the property for someone who does need it.

Personally I have little sympathy for people with spare bedrooms complaining that taxpayers aren't giving them enough stuff for free.

its not free money, it will cost the state more in the long run, as people on benefits can move into a smaller property run by a private landlord at double the cost and claim full housing benefit, its not rocket science.

lets hope you are never in a situatuation where you are claiming £71 JSA and having to then pay out £26 for rent, and before you accuse me of been a scrounger, i am working and pay my tax too, i just think this is very unfair and should apply to everyone who is under occupying, not just people on benefits

[/color]

So working people aren't selfish then? this will only affect people on benefits and of working age, i agree something should be done about housing, but why target people on benefit? why not people who are working who under occupy 2/3/4 bed properties not "forced" to move out? you are generalising here, not everyone on benefits are unemployed either

I think the answer to this is generally speaking people who are working are paying full rent, poll tax etc any way, so it does not affect them. It only affects the people who gets these things subsidised, i think the days are coming where if you don't work you will have to do what you are told or lose your benefit, and the Labour Party will do the same.

i dont think they are 'Targeting people on benefits'. the government are making cuts...at end of the day i can think of far more issues to spend working peoples money on than paying for people to under occupy homes. there is a shortage of larger homes anyway. however i do agree that all people who under occupy social housing should be made to move to smaller homes. thats how it is from my side :P

I hate to say this but, if they are cutting there benefits who are they targeting then.

I think the answer to this is generally speaking people who are working are paying full rent, poll tax etc any way, so it does not affect them. It only affects the people who gets these things subsidised, i think the days are coming where if you don't work you will have to do what you are told or lose your benefit, and the Labour Party will do the same.

I believe most people who claim housing benefit who will be affected are already in work.

I believe most people who claim housing benefit who will be affected are already in work.

Am i reading this correct, are you saying the biggest amount of claimants for housing benefit are working?

i dont think it hurts them to pay a little towards there free rent for an empty bedrom, council tax next

working tax credits account for nearly 60 percent of the beneifit bill. its the NMW that makes the working man still relay on the benefits system. and who gains most from that??. big business. the tory boys!!!

Am i reading this correct, are you saying the biggest amount of claimants for housing benefit are working?

Yes, that's right, at least once you take pensioners out of the equation.

Yes, that's right, at least once you take pensioners out of the equation.

All i can say to that then is what a bloody state this country's workforce must be in if 60% of them have to claim benefits, I didn't know that.

Is this bedroom tax for just council housing or does it come in from private rented flat houses etc?