Stop the bedroom tax - petition

I can't understand some of the comments that have been posted. If you rent a house you can never say you have that home for life. I understand people taking pride in their homes but why spend a large amount of money renovanting somewhere that isn't theirs? If they have the money to be able do renovate and furnish nicely then why not buy a property?

Why should people be subsidised to stay in a property too big for their needs when others in need are overcrowded?

Absolutely. I dont see the problem. If I want to live in a house that is technically too big for me, that is my choice but I would expect to pay for it, making sacrifices and cutting expenditure in other areas if having a 'big' house is one of my most important drivers. Just the same as if I choose to run a car that is bigger than I need

The problem is when the taxpayer is funding this without a similar contribution from the tenant

Have a house as big as you like, stay there for life and I will be very happy for you. Just dont expect society to pick up the tab over and above what is needed to put a roof over your head

Here's some info:

Private rent

How much you get is usually based on the Local Housing Allowance Limit in your area, your income and circumstances.

Property Weekly amount

1 bedroom (or shared accommodation) Up to £250

2 bedrooms Up to £290

3 bedrooms Up to £340

4 bedrooms Up to £400

From here:

https://www.gov.uk/housing-benefit/what-youll-get

Thanks for info.

Surely then it's possible to rent a nice modern 1 bed flat for less than £250 per week even if you're on benefits, or am I missing something.

When I read this thread as someone who rents privately I say good. I don't understand why someone feels they should be entitled to subsidised housing. People of capable working age should be living within their means. Thinking about how they can afford things like a home and a family rather than just expecting it.

I do however hope that this saving of the expected discounts a (small number of council tenants think they are entitled to) will allow better care and provision for the elderly and disabled people in our communities.

You are not entitled to social housing but the state and council are there to try and support your current circumstances. If the number of people change who live in this property why shouldn't peoples circumstances be reviewed and reflect support needed for others who have a bigger need?

I think the thing that gets me is that I was a care leaver and I got minimal support because I decided to take control of my circumstances and work for everything I have. I can understand the distress this causes but the something for nothing idea needs to stop and I for one am pleased this is going ahead.

Here's some info:

Private rent

How much you get is usually based on the Local Housing Allowance Limit in your area, your income and circumstances.

Property Weekly amount

1 bedroom (or shared accommodation) Up to £250

2 bedrooms Up to £290

3 bedrooms Up to £340

4 bedrooms Up to £400

From here:

https://www.gov.uk/housing-benefit/what-youll-get

And in Sheffield the rates are up to :

Shared Accommodation Rate £60.00 per week

One Bedroom Rate:£91.15 per week

Two Bedrooms Rate:£106.15 per week

Three Bedrooms Rate:£114.23 per week

Four Bedrooms Rate:£150.00 per week

Quite a difference from the maximum allowed, which I'd imagine would probably be in Westminster or similar.

---------- Post added 17-02-2013 at 19:36 ----------

Thanks for info.

Surely then it's possible to rent a nice modern 1 bed flat for less than £250 per week even if you're on benefits, or am I missing something.

Those aren't the rates for Sheffield, see above. You'd have to find something for under £91.15, to ensure its all covered by benefits.

Edited by Ms Macbeth

Quite a difference from the maximum allowed, which I'd imagine would probably be in Westminster or similar.

Those aren't the rates for Sheffield, see above. You'd have to find something for under £91.15, to ensure its all covered by benefits.

Gosh -there is a difference isn't there. Thanks for that.

Edited by pottedplant

What happened to working class resistance! I envy France sometimes,they wouldnt put up with this **** lying down.Each new tax here is met by the pulling down of the trowsers and turning the other cheek.Iwill set fire to the council house whats my home with myself inside before I will leave. dwp people came round the other day and i told them ive got nothing to discuss with you 2 as your just doing your jobs.Im not paying bye:mad:

---------- Post added 17-02-2013 at 12:18 ----------

Viva la resistance!

well said mate but the fools on here think its good to kick the less well off, and turn people against each other while the rich just get richer and richer :suspect:

Sorry but how is this a conversation on rich vs poor? Im pretty "less well off" but I don't understand why (some) not all people think they should have the right to have a house that is bigger than required given to them for life from the state.

Sorry but how is this a conversation on rich vs poor? Im pretty "less well off" but I don't understand why (some) not all people think they should have the right to have a house that is bigger than required given to them for life from the state.
the mansion tax soon got thrown out the rich didnt want to pay it (i wonder why)this charge is going to affect something like 650 thousand people nice little earner dont you think?

Yes but I'm struggling to understand the point as to why thats not right ?

Why do people deserve it ?

The Mansion tax however completely agree too.

the mansion tax soon got thrown out the rich didnt want to pay it (i wonder why)this charge is going to affect something like 650 thousand people nice little earner dont you think?

I personally don't think it is a revenue raising scheme, i think it is just one more way to lesson your benefit, and another one is, benefit claimants are not going to get increasers inline with inflation either any more.

nuff said, its not raising a great deal

If you think this lot are going to listen then good luck. We ordinary folk know that if you take money from the less well off they will spend less in the shops and therefore the shops will need fewer people to run the shops and so on ad in finitum. We have a government of ********s sorry ETON scholars who havnt a clue about real life but the thing that hurts most is that the working classes[some of whom think they are now middle class]attack each other instead of the real cause of all the problems.

Thankyou Mrs M. It puts quite a different light on it, doesn't it? I'm assuming it is quite a struggle to find a single bed flat for that amount, am I right?

I'm also a bit appalled that the 'market forces' much loved by capitalist types doesn't seem to have worked in this instance. They'd rather have a flat standing empty than reduce the price a bit and see it in use.

Edited by Anna B