The nanny state again

Last nights news reported that kids in Middlesborough are being taught to speak properly, like what we does down south.

A citizen of said town was asked to pronounce ..butter, the poor soul pronounced it booter .

It seems they all spell as they speak...fink not think .

The idea is to do away with dialect.

I thought the whole thing was condescending rubbish.

Last nights news reported that kids in Middlesborough are being taught to speak properly, like what we does down south.

A citizen of said town was asked to pronounce ..butter, the poor soul pronounced it booter .

Not the sections of the South I know, I hope.

You're not allowed to point on the the inefficiencies of this government. If you did, you'd be here all day - there simply isn't enough hours in a day.

On another forum somebody said, in light of this new Gove fiasco, what's the problem with U-Turns? I pointed out they were keen to point out any U-Turn under the previous government.

You're not allowed to point on the the inefficiencies of this government. If you did, you'd be here all day - there simply isn't enough hours in a day.

On another forum somebody said, in light of this new Gove fiasco, what's the problem with U-Turns? I pointed out they were keen to point out any U-Turn under the previous government.

This is about what the head of a school is doing and has nothing to do with the government.

<...>

You're right, we certainly wouldn't want any class of age, from anywhere in this country, educated to become well-spoken and articulate individuals, unlikely to suffer geographical prejudices and from such other stereotypes.

Better that such kids keep growing up to be ever-less employable (for anything other than menial/non-professional jobs) and ever-more permanent fixtures of their local dole office :rolleyes:

You don't go far enough, davyboy. I'd expect you to petition your MP to make txt speak an acceptable syntax for coursework and the National Curriculum.

Edited by L00b

It is the school head who has brought in the excellent policy.

Here's the news story, hopefully it will reduce some of the rabid foaming mouth brigade on here:

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/2013/02/05/anger-as-middlesbrough-school-tells-parents-to-stop-children-speaking-teesside-84229-32748896/

The initiative was from Carol Walker, Sacred Heart headteacher. Nothing to do with the government.

Here's the news story, hopefully it will reduce some of the rabid foaming mouth brigade on here:

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/2013/02/05/anger-as-middlesbrough-school-tells-parents-to-stop-children-speaking-teesside-84229-32748896/

The initiative was from Carol Walker, Sacred Heart headteacher. Nothing to do with the government.

Facts,facts..you spoil every good rant with facts... :)

They were talking about this on the radio this morning on my daily commute. They compared the UK to Germany. There children have two dialects, one which is standard German, used in education and business and the other is their local dialect. German children "code switch" between the two when at school or at home/play ground. They are capable of doing it and have no trouble with it. They also do not see it as a way of destroying local dialects as this has not happened.

I'm all for children being taught how to converse, there is nothing more annoying for both parties when one cannot enunciate and so cannot be fully understood.

Knowing how to speak clearly and being understood is not a hindrance in any way, and it certainly is not a badge of honor speaking in such a way only a few people know what you mean.