Intrusive security cameras.

Are armed police waiting on your back garden? I know I could shoot out my neighbours light and be back in bed in under 3 minutes with no one the wiser.

It wouldn't take long to work out where the shot was fired from, and besides all this talk of using weapons to escalate a neighbourhood dispute is grossly irresponsible.

---------- Post added 27-02-2013 at 16:24 ----------

You'd be lucky to break a bare light bulb at anything over twenty feet with that, it's essentially a toy.

Not that the police would know that if they saw you with it.

---------- Post added 27-02-2013 at 16:26 ----------

Furthermore I agree with Northerstar and Irenewilde. It's a gross overreaction.

I think the OP's nephew needs to wind his neck in a bit and take a chill pill.

Are armed police waiting on your back garden? I know I could shoot out my neighbours light and be back in bed in under 3 minutes with no one the wiser.

No, I doubt that armed police are waiting on anyone's garden, that's not what they're supposed to do.

What is more likely is that somebody (not necessarily the CCTV neighbour) may see you/the OP standing in your garden pointing a gun up at, what may look like to them, your neighbour's window. If they were inclined to report this to the police, you can expect an armed response.

You'd be lucky to break a bare light bulb at anything over twenty feet with that, it's essentially a toy.

I thought you were being sarcastic, until I actually looked at the gun he linked to. You're absolutely right, it's an airsoft gun, low powered, very poor accuracy and fires very lightweight 6mm plastic BB's.

I would go so far as to say it would be impossible to do any damage to a CCTV camera with it, if you could even manage to hit it.

Not that the police would know that if they saw you with it.

Exactly, although an airsoft pistol is more or less harmless, it is governed by firarms law. By pointing it at the neighbour's house the OP could risk up to 10 years imprisonment and/or a fine, under section 1 of the 1994 imitation firearms act. They could even be shot dead if they continue to wield it after the police have arrived.

An extreme but possible outcome, all for the sake of using a crap toy gun to try (in vain) to sabotage a CCTV camera.

Edited by RootsBooster

You would of course have to mod the air soft gun so it can shoot the head off a car.

free added security, if you want privacy build a big fence. Have we really got such an insecure intolerant society

Not free though is it?plus the burglers would love the extra cover from neighbours eyes.

“would you be happy in the summer time kids playing in the paddling pool knowing your next door neighbour is filming it.”

No. but then again, there’s nothing you can do.

Looking for some advice on behalf of my nephew regarding his neighbours back garden security camera. The camera in question is on the neighbours house wall just below a bedroom window and about one metre in from the boundary. Problem is that it doesn't point straight out at the neighbours garden, but is angled at about (my guess) 20 to 30 degrees towards the boundary and therefore, it seems reasonable to assume, also captures images of my nephews garden.

The two of them don't get on particularly well and when he asked the neighbour about it, suggesting that perhaps the camera could be angled to only cover their own garden, the reply was in the vein of 'f@@@ @@f, I will point it where I choose and there's nothing you can do about it'.

Nephew has contacted the police for some advice/guidance but they apparently aren't interested unless the whole thing escalates into criminal damage/breach of the peace/assault or some other such thing.

Has anyone had experience of this sort of problem and able to offer any advice as to the best course of action without resorting to knocking the camera off the wall? Is there any right under the law to prevent someone recording your comings & goings and what you choose to do on your own property? Legal action is a non-starter as nephew hasn't got the sort of money that this would likely cost.

As per usual the Police are wrong in that if there is a camera that records your nephews garden then this is an invasion of his privacy.

The next question is does your nephew have children?

If so he may be a closet nonser! then the issue really hots up.....

I had a similar issue with a demented neighbour who in brief threatened me, scratched and damaged my car and I still have no idea why and got very upset that another neighbour filmed her and her other half doing the damage. The Police said it was an invasion of their privacy - work that one out if you can however they soon backed down when I wanted to press charges.

Apparently a camera cannot say be pointed at a garden or a window as that is invasion of privacy however when it points to a car on the road there's no comeback!!!

Needless to say my respect for the Police is almost non existent now

Wonder if you'll miss his camera when you get burgled?

What range do you think these cameras have? I have two, back and front and they don't even cover all of mine let alone my neighbours. My front one does take in the propertys across the road and my neighbours are ok with it especially as I have notices up stating so and any would be thief tends to avoid such.

I think you should stay out of things and let your nephew sort it out himself.

Can't help but think that this is all a bit out of scale, if someone wanted to see a bit of my garden I couldn't care less; I could understand it if the camera was pointing towards my windows but not a thin sliver of the garden.

but if that 'sliver of garden' is the only bit that gets evening sun when you are home from work and want to sunbathe I would consider it a problem

Wish one of my neighbours would invade my privacy by installing a security camera on his property that also covered mine. Where is the problem?.

Angel.

Get a cheap laser pointer and Blu-tak it into place aimed at the camera so that it's blinded. Refuse to tun the laser off until the camera is re-directed.

Haha, idea of the year, beats my "broomhandle" :hihi: