Tracing my family history

Has anyone found a good way of producing charts?

I have Family Tree Maker, which I find good for adding data but I've tried the Avanquest Charting Companion which I have found unusable and sent it back for a refund. I've only been in software for 40+ years so it may be me.

• 2 months later...
I am thinking about signing up to www.ancestry.co.uk to piece together my family tree. Has anyone here used it, or something like it, and had and success?

I have a lot of family overseas and wondered if the site is useful for finding them.

Yes, I've done mine with them. But beware when being asked to pay for the extra information, becasue it is usually what you have had for free..

I traced my Fathers family tree back to 1690s but have decided to stop for awhile because it was getting so addictive, nothing was getting done, no shopping, cooking or housework, and I would be still be searching online into the early hrs of the morning :hihi: really glad I have got into it as a hobby though.

This is weird I have just come off Ancestry doing my tree & what do I find this post. It is a fantastic site , expensive but well worth it .And I need to put a big shout out to Sue who helped me aswell ! Love you hunny. If you are serious about finding your past then go for Ancestry . I found loads

I agree, ancestry.co.uk is fantastic.

I also agree that it is addictive ... VERY addictive!!

Before you subscribe, make notes about what you already know. Don't spend too much time, just yet, trying to record all your living relatives because that info can 'easily' be recorded later.

Start by finding out as much as you can from the oldest members of your family. You really need to find people on the 1911 Census, so that you know you've got the right links back to previous Censuses.

As you start entering your ancestors on the ancestry site, don't assume that all the 'hints' that ancestry throws at you are gospel. Use the hints as a guideline and research until you are sure. I made the mistake of assuming too much and saving it to my tree, then realising later that info from other peoples' trees was incorrect.

Oh, another thing ... I regret not creating a different family tree for each of the main names in my tree. You can do this on ancestry.co.uk, not sure about other sites tho. In fact, if I was starting again, I think I would start with my 8 great grandparents names and form a tree for each.

I was so excited about finding people, that I just kept adding all ancestors of my 4 grandparents onto the one tree... mistake! Your tree suddenly goes outwards and upwards beyond the screen, impossible to print, and you easily get distracted (nosey!!)

---------- Post added 07-04-2013 at 00:46 ----------

Try this site too

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/Sheffield/

One of the surnames in my family is Close. Searches on Ancestry bring up everything that has 'close' in it, which includes thousands of addresses! Very frustrating.

You can tick/untick the boxes on your advance searches to force it to look for specific names.

The surname 'Close' might have changed over the generations. My lot have changed from Cleugh to Clews to Close and with the added complications of misspellings I have found this surname to be one of the most difficult to research.

One method is to use surname distribution maps to see how surnames with similar spellings change in frequency in an area as the spelling of the surname changes. In this way I could follow Cleugh relatives in Northumberland through Clough (misspelt) then Clews in Co Durham and Close in Yorkshire.

I was originally put off family history because I had a very common surname but experience has shown that it has been the easiest name to research.