Don Valley Stadium to close?

jemson

What better way for the council than to draw attention by stomping around and spitting their collective dummy out by shutting the very facility which produced a world renowned athlete, a venue which helped create an Olympic gold medalist (and potentially the chance to defend her title)? 'That'll show the Nasty Tories,' I bet they shouted in the enclosed rooms at Town Hall.

Should we truly be surprised?

Paul Blomfield ‏@PaulBlomfieldMP

Yes @MsSwallow very sad that Government unfair cuts forced Council to decisions like closing Don Valley. Protest at http://afairdealforsheffield.com/

The Labour MPs and councillors are out in force on twitter to say it is not their fault.

Predictable.

---------- Post added 02-03-2013 at 19:12 ----------

Jumping the gun a bit though aren't they ? Even if it was for hs2, are you seriously suggesting scc are that organised ? Doubt it !!

A lot of stuff has been planned for a while. They knew years ago Don Valley would be sold. Rumour has it that it has been preliminary sold for housing.

A lot of stuff has been planned for a while. They knew years ago Don Valley would be sold. Rumour has it that it has been preliminary sold for housing.

Yes, what Attercliffe and Don Valley sorely need are more brownfield sites for housing :roll:

Sheffield FC (oldest football club in the world) are looking for a home in Sheffield could this be a possible way of keeping the stadium open?

eh? They own a cracking little ground at Dronfield, and their own pub too.

http://www.sheffieldfc.com/coach-horses

http://threescoreyearsandten.blogspot.co.uk/2008/03/footballs-coach-and-horses.html

---------- Post added 02-03-2013 at 23:06 ----------

Yes, what Attercliffe and Don Valley sorely need are more brownfield sites for housing :roll:

Arguably, the area doesn't need a 25,000 seat athletics venue either.

If Woodbourn Road was re-comissioned there wouldn't be any issue.

SFC have / had been looking to move. A delegation visited Woodbourn just over a year ago to look at that but it wasn`t taken up. Previously Olive Grove has been looked at. A return to DVS has never been touted and Club seem relatively happy at Dronny, despite gates that could be higher (200-300).

Having Woodbourn as our main outdoor athletics facility should put us on a par with Mansfield, MANY divisions below Leeds (where AR Jess will have to train at). :confused:

My latest though is IKEA, horsey meatballs `n` all.

It's political: nothing more, nothing less.

What better way for the council than to draw attention by stomping around and spitting their collective dummy out by shutting the very facility which produced a world renowned athlete, a venue which helped create an Olympic gold medalist (and potentially the chance to defend her title)? 'That'll show the Nasty Tories,' I bet they shouted in the enclosed rooms at Town Hall.

We got the World Student Games and inherited a colossal debt; we'll still be paying for Don Valley in eleven years time whether it's there or isn't! But you can add this embarrassing debacle to that of the airport, to the decaying and ghost-like 'city' centre (sic). A council whose only answer to the success of Meadowhall is to increase parking charges in the city centre and to extend them. To say 'no thank you' to large companies like Next who wish to site their largest outlet in the city (okay, at Meadowhall).

Why hasn't Don Valley hosted an athletics meeting in the last ten or so years (perhaps longer)? What did the council do? Nothing - as ever - just sit on their lazy backsides.

They should resign en masse and find employment elsewhere. Sadly, I think they'd struggle to get a job at McDonald's.

And they're not solely to blame, oh no. It's the equally idle electorate of this city who like sheep, repeatedly vote labour 'because me fatha did, his fatha did and his fatha did.'

Have a 'like' from me

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

It's poltical: nothing more, nothing less.

We got the World Student Games and inherited a colossal debt; we'll still be paying for Don Valley in eleven years time whether it's there or isn't! But you can add this embarrassing debacle to that of the airport, to the decaying and ghost-like 'city' centre (sic). A council whose only answer to the success of Meadowhall is to increase parking charges in the city centre and to extend them. To say 'no thank you' to large companies like Next who wish to site their largest outlet in the city (okay, at Meadowhall).

Why hasn't Don Valley hosted an athletics meeting in the last ten or so years (perhaps longer)? What did the council do? Nothing - as ever - just sit on their lazy backsides.

They should resign en masse and find employment elsewhere. Sadly, I think they'd struggle to get a job at McDonald's.

And they're not solely to blame, oh no. It's the equally idle electorate of this city who like sheep, repeatedly vote labour 'because me fatha did, his fatha did and his fatha did.'

I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if somebody at Labour party HQ had a hand in pushing this.

Originally Posted by Ousetunes

It's political: nothing more, nothing less.

---oh so very true - i too agree with every word. wonder how many others do too. but what to do.

Is total closure the only solution to the funding problem.

The main asset is the running track and inner playing area as far as would be athletes and other games players are concerned.

I can see why the seating capacity of 25000 isnot needed because there are not enough big events of athletics or concerts to draw that sort of crowd.

It just seems such a total waste of a previous investment when it could be the centre piece of a sports complex,where it could form the hub of a sports complex,together with the EIS.

Why not just leave one stand and indoor training are and perhaps add indoor facilities for such sports as badminton,table tennis or whatever.Also some catering would be useful.

Why not a partnership with Sheffield University who seem to be able to provide good facilities for their students?

There is also of course indoor bowling as well because it seems that the only facility in this area at Stocksbridge Leisure centre will also be lost.

So Sheffielders will now have to travel to those major cities such as Huddersfield,Barnsley an Loughborough to pursue their interests.

It really does not reflect well on either our government or council.