How Many Different Bird Types Visit Your Garden?

You did read that RSPB link didn't you? I think you need to get in touch with them & tell them they're wrong! If you type serin into google, you'll see how incredibly rare they are in this country. You certainly need to be in touch with someone if you think you have them. Try http://www.sbsg.org/sightings - they're always very helpful. And try to get a photo.

---------- Post added 26-05-2013 at 15:00 ----------

Magpies won't attack them. I have had 14 magpies feeding on my lawn, alongside many other species of birds.

Hi Irene,

Yes I read your link, that is why I said I hadn't realised they were rare here. I belong to the Sheffield and Rotherham Wildlife trust, and did tell them when I joined but they didn't express any surprise.

I will try and get a photograph, although at the moment the birds are finding enough grubs to eat in the woodland, so are only popping in to me for the occasional snack. Whereas a couple of weeks ago they were a constant. So it will be quite difficult to catch them, unless I sit here all day.

My Husband says he's going to buy me some binoculars with an inbuilt camera for my birthday, so I'm looking forward to that.

I have a smallish thin brown bird with a greyish chest, black finch type beak, and white sergeant stripes on it's wings.. have you any idea what it is? The only thing I can think of is a female chaffinch, but it is too small.

I also have Magpies, up to twelve at one point, but try to deter them, because they eat baby birds.....I even caught one sitting on top of one of the nesting boxes, waiting for the female blue tit to pop out. The pesky critter. They are quite beautiful though, except for their noise........

PS.. I've just filled in the sighting form, thanks.

Edited by catpus
addition

Just been on allotment for 2 hrs and in back garden and it amazes me how few birds insects or any wildlife there is about!! I have been watching for 40 years so am quite observant. Very worrying :gag:

Hi Irene,

Yes I read your link, that is why I said I hadn't realised they were rare here. I belong to the Sheffield and Rotherham Wildlife trust, and did tell them when I joined but they didn't express any surprise.

I will try and get a photograph, although at the moment the birds are finding enough grubs to eat in the woodland, so are only popping in to me for the occasional snack. Whereas a couple of weeks ago they were a constant. So it will be quite difficult to catch them, unless I sit here all day.

My Husband says he's going to buy me some binoculars with an inbuilt camera for my birthday, so I'm looking forward to that.

I have a smallish thin brown bird with a greyish chest, black finch type beak, and white sergeant stripes on it's wings.. have you any idea what it is? The only thing I can think of is a female chaffinch, but it is too small.

I also have Magpies, up to twelve at one point, but try to deter them, because they eat baby birds.....I even caught one sitting on top of one of the nesting boxes, waiting for the female blue tit to pop out. The pesky critter. They are quite beautiful though, except for their noise........

I think I've got this book, proper high quality photos and more importantly describes a bird you might get another bird confused with (like a female Siskin and a serin) http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1408158671/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1369671362&sr=8-4&pi=SL75

I think I've got this book, proper high quality photos and more importantly describes a bird you might get another bird confused with (like a female Siskin and a serin) http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1408158671/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1369671362&sr=8-4&pi=SL75

Hi Tinfoil,

I have lots of bird books, dating back to when I was a lass. It was the Readers Digest book we used to identified these little birds. But as we only see them a few times during Feb/April/early May I am quite willing to accept that there may be other more knowledgeable people who may know what they are. They are always with the Siskins, so they may bee female Siskins? Are their faces as bright as the male then, but smaller by about half an inch and a stubbier head and a shorter beak?

In answer to Markfor who says there are no birds on his allotment. Do you use herbi/pesticides. The birds are quite savvy and will avoid these places. My birds are only visiting occasionally now, because there is an abundance of foodstuff in the woodland now. The Bluetits are organising the nest boxes, but the Bullfinches and Robins are still feeding.. though not together. The Robins can be really aggressive and see everyone off..

---------- Post added 27-05-2013 at 20:11 ----------

Just been on allotment for 2 hrs and in back garden and it amazes me how few birds insects or any wildlife there is about!! I have been watching for 40 years so am quite observant. Very worrying :gag:

Where is your allotment?

Edited by catpus
addition

Hi Irene,

Sorry, it's hard sometimes when people claim to have seen something that's quite unlikely to gauge whether they have a lot of knowledge or not! You clearly have & one of the reasons I suggested you try to get a picture is that sometimes the SBSG ask for photographic proof if it's something unusual. Binoculars with an inbuilt camera? Fantastic, I'm very jealous!

The description of your bird sounds like a tree sparrow but I see you've already got them in your list. When you say 'sergeant stripes' do you mean like a 'v' shape? I thought of Dunnockbut that's on your list too. I've even had a look at a chiffchaff but that doesn't have the finch beak. Sometimes it's useful to find a bird that you do know that looks like the one you're trying to identify because, on the RSPB page for instance, it usually has pictures of a couple of other species that look similar. I'll keep thinking.

The most exciting thing I had recently was a single male reed bunting just on my lawn with a load of house sparrows. It looked like a sparrow wearing a black balaclava trimmed with white! I dragged all my bird books out but it took me a while to identify it because I had absolutely no idea what it was.

I know magpies take baby birds and eggs - I once rescued a juvenile starling from one & I have been known to chase them away! I was just suggesting to JOHN HABS that magpies are unlikely to be responsible for his lack of adult birds. They are spectacular birds though!

You sound like you're in a fabulous place for birdwatching, I don't do too badly myself, I've had 42 different species in my garden.

---------- Post added 27-05-2013 at 20:43 ----------

The absence of 'soft' food, ie caterpillars, greenfly etc. because of everything coming into left so late is quite worrying. I watched a great tit for about 15 minutes the other day searching my garden for insect life and finding nothing. It does concern me that they're having problems finding food for their chicks.

Sorry, it's hard sometimes when people claim to have seen something that's quite unlikely to gauge whether they have a lot of knowledge or not! You clearly have & one of the reasons I suggested you try to get a picture is that sometimes the SBSG ask for photographic proof if it's something unusual. Binoculars with an inbuilt camera? Fantastic, I'm very jealous!

The description of your bird sounds like a tree sparrow but I see you've already got them in your list. When you say 'sergeant stripes' do you mean like a 'v' shape? I thought of Dunnockbut that's on your list too. I've even had a look at a chiffchaff but that doesn't have the finch beak. Sometimes it's useful to find a bird that you do know that looks like the one you're trying to identify because, on the RSPB page for instance, it usually has pictures of a couple of other species that look similar. I'll keep thinking.

The most exciting thing I had recently was a single male reed bunting just on my lawn with a load of house sparrows. It looked like a sparrow wearing a black balaclava trimmed with white! I dragged all my bird books out but it took me a while to identify it because I had absolutely no idea what it was.

I know magpies take baby birds and eggs - I once rescued a juvenile starling from one & I have been known to chase them away! I was just suggesting to JOHN HABS that magpies are unlikely to be responsible for his lack of adult birds. They are spectacular birds though!

You sound like you're in a fabulous place for birdwatching, I don't do too badly myself, I've had 42 different species in my garden.

---------- Post added 27-05-2013 at 20:43 ----------

The absence of 'soft' food, ie caterpillars, greenfly etc. because of everything coming into left so late is quite worrying. I watched a great tit for about 15 minutes the other day searching my garden for insect life and finding nothing. It does concern me that they're having problems finding food for their chicks.

Hi Irene,

Thanks for the reply. I thought it might be a tree sparrow, until I saw its beak. I've just thought, it might have been a very immature female chaffinch?

I have my house up for sale at the moment... but it is killing me to think I will leave all my birds.. I don't think I can do it........

Edited by catpus
addition

My allotment looks down over Rivelin Valley

its organic dont use pesticides

Its frightening the lack of bees butterflies birds etc

Dont even see many magpies any more

Perhaps there is more food about in fields so birds are searching there??

In garden I have sunflower seeds peanuts fat balls bread crumbs but no birds!

Hi Tinfoil,

I have lots of bird books, dating back to when I was a lass. It was the Readers Digest book we used to identified these little birds. But as we only see them a few times during Feb/April/early May I am quite willing to accept that there may be other more knowledgeable people who may know what they are. They are always with the Siskins, so they may bee female Siskins? Are their faces as bright as the male then, but smaller by about half an inch and a stubbier head and a shorter beak?

In answer to Markfor who says there are no birds on his allotment. Do you use herbi/pesticides. The birds are quite savvy and will avoid these places. My birds are only visiting occasionally now, because there is an abundance of foodstuff in the woodland now. The Bluetits are organising the nest boxes, but the Bullfinches and Robins are still feeding.. though not together. The Robins can be really aggressive and see everyone off..

---------- Post added 27-05-2013 at 20:11 ----------

Where is your allotment?

At my work there is a load of pigeons and every now and again a crow attacks them,kills one and eats its brain and then just leaves it or goes for the eggs.

Bird life in my garden is booming, put loads of food out for years, even got sparrows back. Does seem to be a big increase in wood pigeons in recent years.

Bird life in my garden is booming, put loads of food out for years, even got sparrows back. Does seem to be a big increase in wood pigeons in recent years.

Yep, as soon as I put the food out the woodpigeons arrive. I regularly have 3-4 crashing round the garden.

Had my first geenfinches this morning on my new feeding station.

All the usual suspects, plus bull finch, long tailed tits etc, sparrow hawk, and a couple of weeks ago I saw a woodpecker - this is in S14

I think the increase in pigeons could be due to the amount of road side trees that have matured in the last 20 years when I was a kid you only saw them in thick woodland now sheffield is like one big woodland and better for it ! Also they have plenty of rape seed to feed on .

---------- Post added 28-05-2013 at 20:12 ----------

Just today for the first time in our area I spotted a buzzard circling round riding the thermals above old Mosborough,it was being harassed by two crows making a right old racket,another feathered friend for the list!.Another wood pidgeon has come to a sticky end in our garden,all that was left were its feet,I guess it must have been the sparrowhawk again!.

Yes see the buzzards around Beighton at least once of twice a week the crows certainly give them a run for their money I like to watch it when they attack the buzzards.