How Many Different Bird Types Visit Your Garden?

why do you have to put water out? Can't they eat snow?
What a Dumpling !

ring neck dove. sparrow hawk. owl . jay. wood pecker, loads of tits ,loads of gold finch etc

I live in a new build house and im trying to encourage birds to visit my barren garden.Despite the snow,no birds are picking up the seeds I have put out!:( Any advice???

I always put food out for the birds in winter, but this year they seem to have disappeared. I've seen one Blue Tit in 3 days, we usually get Blue Tits, Great Tits, Sparrows, Starlings and Blackbirds.

I have fat balls, seeds and bread out and nothing as yet...the birds just seem to have vanished.

I always put food out for the birds in winter, but this year they seem to have disappeared. I've seen one Blue Tit in 3 days, we usually get Blue Tits, Great Tits, Sparrows, Starlings and Blackbirds.

I have fat balls, seeds and bread out and nothing as yet...the birds just seem to have vanished.

That's probably what's frightened them off.

a jay and a woodpecker on the bird feeder today, must be hungry as they dont usually feed on there.

Blue tits, coal tits, long-tailed tits, sparrows, robins, blackbirds, thrushes, wrens, wood pigeons, collared doves, pigeons, magpies, jays and the occasional bullfinch.

I notice several of you have said how your birds seem to have vanished. I've found exactly the same thing this year - I'll get 14 blackbirds in the garden every morning for a few weeks and then they just disappear. Never known a year like this, it's very strange.

I notice several of you have said how your birds seem to have vanished. I've found exactly the same thing this year - I'll get 14 blackbirds in the garden every morning for a few weeks and then they just disappear. Never known a year like this, it's very strange.

we've actually seen more variety this yr, all the usual suspects are coming still, but with the woodpecker/jay and a couple of others its been busy on the feeders every day. keeping the squirrels at bay is the hard part, 4 different ones fighting to nick what they can!

We've had more birds than ever this year including an ostritch, it struggled to get it's head under the bird table roof but finally managed to get into a sort of scrunched up position it was comfortable with!

I live in a new build house and im trying to encourage birds to visit my barren garden.Despite the snow,no birds are picking up the seeds I have put out!:( Any advice???

What have you put out? Is it a general bird food? Some of the cheaper ones are full of wheat, split peas and even bits of dog biscuit. Pigeons are the only things likely to eat the wheat. Maybe try a few fat balls?

How long have you been putting it out? Birds do take their time sometimes to find a new place, but I'd have thought with the weather the way it is, they might have found you a bit faster.

---------- Post added 22-01-2013 at 21:32 ----------

we've actually seen more variety this yr, all the usual suspects are coming still, but with the woodpecker/jay and a couple of others its been busy on the feeders every day. keeping the squirrels at bay is the hard part, 4 different ones fighting to nick what they can!

I got the 41st species of bird in my garden last week - one I've been waiting to see for a while - a brambling.