Odd Facts we didn't know

I'm not agreeing with you at all, water is a chemical compound and you can make chemical compounds and by a very simple, if expensive and highly exothermic reaction, you can make water, it's not nit picking it's science.

Yep if you want to blow the world up.

Igniting hydrogen with oxygen may be simple but the explosion is far from practicle therefor it won't be done.

I said as does Wiki answers the amount of water stays the same and it does.

What followed was a load of scientist saying it doesn't cos it's easy to make.

Well who makes it?

You want to know where all the water came from ?

Ultimately the hydrogen came from the big bang, and the oxygen came from stars.

Supernovae liberated all the created elements including the oxygen into the universe

These elements formed the primordial cloud which our solar system condensed out of.

Hydrogen reacted with the oxygen to produce water which eventually condensed, some did this on the earth, some did this in space and this crashed into the earth as comets.

This is where nearly all the water on earth came from, we've added a miniscule amount by combining hydrogen with oxygen in various reactions, more has been added with comets burning up in the atmosphere and occasionally hitting the planet

But it all came from stars including every atom of your body.

To make you, at least one star died.

With apologies to any astronomers out there for missing out huge chunks of cosmology

You want to know where all the water came from ?

Ultimately the hydrogen came from the big bang, and the oxygen came from stars.

Supernovae liberated all the created elements including the oxygen into the universe

These elements formed the primordial cloud which our solar system condensed out of.

Hydrogen reacted with the oxygen to produce water which eventually condensed, some did this on the earth, some did this in space and this crashed into the earth as comets.

This is where nearly all the water on earth came from, we've added a miniscule amount by combining hydrogen with oxygen in various reactions, more has been added with comets burning up in the atmosphere and occasionally hitting the planet

But it all came from stars including every atom of your body.

To make you, at least one star died.

With apologies to any astronomers out there for missing out huge chunks of cosmology

I missed that you're so lucky to have witnessed it.

A decent looking thread; that has descended into a stupid Einstein argument about bloody water & such boy oh boy oh boy

That's a fact. Working away from home. SF (and this thread) all too often starts off as quite diverting but then it descends into a pit of hair-splitting tedium.

Fact: 76% of statistics are made up. (Or was it 85%?)

Fact: Dynamo is unreal or an extra-terrestrial.

Yep if you want to blow the world up.

Igniting hydrogen with oxygen may be simple but the explosion is far from practicle therefor it won't be done.

I said as does Wiki answers the amount of water stays the same and it does.

What followed was a load of scientist saying it doesn't cos it's easy to make.

Well who makes it?

It's seems I've been missing out on the fun. I'll only quote this post of yours as to quote all the stupid you've came out since yesterday afternoon would make a very long post.

Firstly, I think you could benefit from revisiting your chemistry notes from first year secondary school as these will give you the level of knowledge required to understand the examples given which clearly demonstrate the formation of new water.

You have asked here who makes water... one answer is just about everybody on the planet, another would be the chemical industry where it is produced as a by-product in the manufacture of other things.

As an example on my way home last night and again on my way into work this morning I made some brand spanking new water from the combustion of refined fossil fuels. These fuels came from crude oil which a million years ago were deep under ground. They contained no water then and they contain no water now.

During my two journeys I combusted (well my car did anyway) 2 gallons of petrol, the reaction for which goes something like this...

2C8H16 + 25O2 ---> 16CO2 + 18H2O

You will note that on the left hand side of the reaction we have petrol and oxygen. THERE IS NO WATER PRESENT. On the right hand side of the reaction we have newly formed carbon dioxide and NEWLY FORMED water. It is impossible for any of this water to have existed a million years ago as the hydrogen moiety was locked deep under ground in the form of hydrocarbons.

Now, you may think it's not much water so lets do some elementary maths:

(for the sake of ease assume petrol = 100% Octane)

2 gallons petrol = 9.1 L petrol

Density octane = 0.703g/ml

Therefore mass octane used = 6.4Kg

Molecular mass octane = 114.2g/mol

Moles octane = 56

Using the above stoichiometry 2 moles of petrol produce 18 moles of water.

Therefore 56 moles of octane will produce 504 moles of water.

RMM water = 18

Therefore 504 moles = 9Kg water = 9L of water.

So, in summary my drive of 74 miles produced 9L of water which did not exist a million years ago. I drive 20,000 a year so will produce 2432L (or 2.3 metric tons of water) a year. Now if you consider there are ~ 30million cars on British roads alone you can start to see that the contribution to global water levels from the combustion of petrol alone is not insignificant.

jb

Edited by barleycorn
petrol =/= water

Now if you consider there are ~ 30million cars on British roads alone you can start to see that the contribution to global water levels from the combustion of water alone is not insignificant.

jb

Excellent post but I could I just ask - if you have managed to combust water did you manage to get the patent as well..? :)