Odd Facts we didn't know

The reaction goes as follows

methane (CH4) + Oxygen (O2) combusts to produce Carbon Dioxide (CO2) + and water (2H2O)

the reaction is exothermic so the water is in the form of steam.

The methane does not contain water which is somehow released, the combustion reaction of methane and oxygen forms new water and new carbon dioxide which did not previously exist.

The water was in the atmoshere as a gas, hot air hitting cold causes it to liquidify.

If it was that easy to "make" new water why don't they.

Edited by fiftyshades

The water was in the atmoshere as a gas, hot air hitting cold causes it to liquidify.
no it isn't, in the reaction I gave you it is created by burning methane in oxygen.

Next time you see your old chemistry teacher ask them.

What about the hundreds of thousands of tonnes of hydrogen peroxide made by combining dry air with anthracene derivatives in the Riedl-Pfleiderer process, every year.

Plenty of that will decompose into water, especially when it's used as a component of a liquid fuelled rocket.

Isn't water needed to make hydrogen in the first place?

Do you still claim I said water didn't exist a million years ago?:loopy::loopy:'

Please supply a link.

no it isn't, in the reaction I gave you it is created by burning methane in oxygen.

Next time you see your old chemistry teacher ask them.

I've just been reading up on it and it.

It causes a formation of water vapour.

I wonder if that's why it rains in Wales all the time, burning all the sheep dung.

Edited by fiftyshades

...If it was that easy to "make" new water why don't they.
Sorry you added that as I was replying

They don't do this for a couple of reasons.

1 - Methane and carbon dioxide are both greenhouse gasses the effect of solving the worlds drinking water problem would be replaced by a runaway greenhouse effect by doing this.

2 - The heat given off is quite significant and would contribute to the greenhouse effect.

3 - The created water is in the form of steam and needs to be condensed before it can be used, the heat needs to be extracted from the water vapour and put somewhere else in order to do this, this also contributes to the greenhouse effect

4 - It's expensive.

I could probably find some more reasons if you like

Sorry you added that as I was replying

They don't do this for a couple of reasons.

1 - Methane and carbon dioxide are both greenhouse gasses the effect of solving the worlds drinking water problem would be replaced by a runaway greenhouse effect by doing this.

2 - The heat given off is quite significant and would contribute to the greenhouse effect.

3 - The created water is in the form of steam and needs to be condensed before it can be used, the heat needs to be extracted from the water vapour and put somewhere else in order to do this, this also contributes to the greenhouse effect

4 - It's expensive.

I could probably find some more reasons if you like

But the vapour cloud of water is caused by climate change just like rain clouds it isn't new additional water.

The rest I agree with.

Temperture changes cause water to rise as a gas and fall as a liquid.

Isn't water needed to make hydrogen in the first place?

Do you still claim I said water didn't exist a million years ago?:loopy::loopy:'

Please supply a link.

Ok here's a reference http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen#Production

In the laboratory, H2 is usually prepared by the reaction of acids on metals

or industrially

Hydrogen can be prepared in several different ways, but economically the most important processes involve removal of hydrogen from hydrocarbons.
or you can split water in a variety of ways to get the hydrogen but that's a bit self defeating if all you want to do is make water with the resulting hydrogen

Apparently it's also made in transformers under fault conditions, not sure what reaction is going on there though.

Edited by esme
missed a space

But the vapour cloud of water is caused by climate change just like rain clouds it isn't new additional water.
Sorry, no it's not, burn methane and you get brand spanking new water that didn't exist before you burnt the methane

Sorry, no it's not, burn methane and you get brand spanking new water that didn't exist before you burnt the methane

A vapour cloud is caused bY the climate change, anyhow thanks for the debate we'll just have to beg to differ.

Edited by fiftyshades