Odd Facts we didn't know

Apparently it's also made in transformers under fault conditions, not sure what reaction is going on there though.

Fault conditions usually lead to catalytic breakdown of the transformer oil due to the film in the laminations being under considerable stress. Most larger power transformers (ie megawatt class ones) are monitored for excess hydrogen as an indication of incipient faulting.

Just as a matter of interest and without looking it up can you tell me what the most common gas in the atmosphere is ?

Question...

Is the earths water increasing or decreasing?

Wiki answer

.....Staying the same....Overall matter is neither created or destroyed so the amount of water on earth stays the same.

Answer to your question.

Nitrogen.

Overall matter is neither created nor destroyed, it is changed from one form to another by chemical reactions

So the amount of basic elements does indeed stay the same, however water isn't an element it's a chemical compound and it can be split into it's constituent parts and those parts used to make other compounds just like taking methane and oxygen rearranging the elements and producing new compounds such as water and carbon dioxide.

And given a nuclear reactor you can even change one element into another element.

Overall matter is neither created nor destroyed, it is changed from one form to another by chemical reactions

So the amount of basic elements does indeed stay the same, however water isn't an element it's a chemical compound and it can be split into it's constituent parts and those parts used to make other compounds just like taking methane and oxygen rearranging the elements and producing new compounds such as water and carbon dioxide.

And given a nuclear reactor you can even change one element into another element.

A bit drastic but true but I think you can see my original point without the nit picking at least Wiki do.

Question...

Wiki answer

.....Staying the same....Overall matter is neither created or destroyed so the amount of water on earth stays the same.

Answer to your question.

Nitrogen.

The next answer from wikianswer says

Decreasing. . . . . .due to sun rays

These are answers from someone called Blue who says they are a science supervisor and a Dr GooberPlan who says they are a jobs and education supervisor

I suspect the names may not be real, it's entirely possible the jobs they say they have may not be real either

Question...

Wiki answer

Answer to your question.

Nitrogen.

Water is continually added by small particles of ice called meteoritic debris. That's the first thing that blows a big hole in that assertion.

A bit drastic but true but I think you can see my original point without the nit picking at least Wiki do.
I'm not agreeing with you at all, water is a chemical compound and you can make chemical compounds and by a very simple, if expensive and highly exothermic reaction, you can make water, it's not nit picking it's science.

-- edit --

also asking if the earths water is increasing or decreasing is not the same as asking if you can make water, asking that gives you three answers none of which are correct but the third is the closest.

I don't think wikianswers is that reliable to be honest

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_make_water&isLookUp=1

Edited by esme
forgot the link