Sheffield dog bites horror delivering political leaflets

So you agree from a health and safety point of view that anybody with a dog should have their letter box removed so as not to put anybody in danger?

It's hardly rocket science - anyone who has any common sense would not stick thiir fingers in somebody else's letter box but at the same time if dog owner knows their dog has a penchant for attacking things that come through door there are plenty of remedies such as the wire mail boxes that fit behind your letter box or the outside metal letterboxes

So you agree from a health and safety point of view that anybody with a dog should have their letter box removed so as not to put anybody in danger?

No - If I had a dog, i'd still want mail - why should i have to remove my letterbox? Why the need to stick your fingers through the letter box? Why is this an issue?

When I was a kid delivering newspapers and leaflets, i never once felt the need to stuff my hand through the letterbox and waggle my fingers about, and i never once encountered a dog that could bite me through the letterbox.

So you agree from a trolling point of view that anyone on the wind up should have their computer removed so as not to put society in any danger?:hihi:

Anyone with a dog that attacks things that come through the letterbox should fit a mail cage to the back of the door. Any responsible dog owner would do that, but this thread just shows the disregard people have for others just doing their job.

The laws should soon be changing though to make dog owners responsible for attacks on people entering their property for a legitimate reason. That should stop the brain donors in this thread thinking it's funny for their dogs to bite people.

Yes it's common sense to not put your fingers through a letterbox, but if you'd actually tried delivering a thin leaflet through most boxes with brushes etc in the way then you'd know how difficult it is to actually get the thing to stay in there.

I'm a Postie and dogs that jump at the letterboxes are a serious PITA. What often tends to happen though is that the dog will tear them apart whilst i'm pushing them through, which I find quite amusing as I can hear the owner screaming at the dog to get off them. :hihi:

Edited by Rob_1

No - If I had a dog, i'd still want mail - why should i have to remove my letterbox? Why the need to stick your fingers through the letter box? Why is this an issue?

When I was a kid delivering newspapers and leaflets, i never once felt the need to stuff my hand through the letterbox and waggle my fingers about, and i never once encountered a dog that could bite me through the letterbox.

So in other words, you want people to post things through your letter box, but if your dog injures anybody while they do that, thats nothing to do with you?

I had a post woman try to sue me for having to have stitches on her finger after she posted something through the letter box and the dog bit her.

It was the police that came round first and both officers were rather annoyed, especially as she had left it a good few weeks before reporting it. They basically said that she knew the dog was there (everyone walking past knew she was there) and shouldn't have been sticking her fingers through the letterbox.

Apparently, the only reason she had reported it was to get a crime number for the no win no fee service she was using :rolleyes:.

When you were a kid did almost all letterboxes have draught exluding brushes behind them, making it nigh on impossible to push a thin leaflet or letter right through? Or did you just leave everything sticking out?

it's not just dogs you know....

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3207208/Royal-Mail-staff-banned-from-using-house-letterbox-after-cat-claws-postman.html

Seriously though, how far through a letter box do fingers have to be to be bitten off ! I presume there was an element of barking/growling before said dog bit fingers - surely that's warning enough not to put your fingers there ?

Surely this lack of common sense is not a great trait if you going to be a councillor maybe Councillor Diana Stimely should consider her career options :)

So in other words, you want people to post things through your letter box, but if your dog injures anybody while they do that, thats nothing to do with you?

That's the attitude of the majority of dog owners unfortunately.

I have sympathy but it's not like the owners are letting the dogs out on the street. If you go on to someone's property uninvited or without warning the owner of your presence or put your fingers through their door then they can't be held responsible for what happens.
Oh, yes they are.

By physically existing you give complete, total and unrevocable permission to anybody to access your property in order to make deliveries. You have an complete, total and unrevocable responsibility to make such access safe.

If you wish to trap a dog inside your house, keeping it until it is bouncing off the walls and into such a state that it's going to savage anything that comes near it, place a letterbox outside your house.

Seriously though, how far through a letter box do fingers have to be to be bitten off!
Not very far, and often, not at all - a dog can jump up and grab the post quicker than you can react and let go, and actually pull your hand through. I had to have part of a finger medically superglued back together some years ago, but the more noticable scar is across my knuckles where my hand got scraped across the letterbox. Edited by jgharston