Dog's off lead's

palascrubs

just want to have a little "rant",why do people feel the need to have their dogs off lead when walking next to a main road??I walk my dog everyday along elm lane towards longley park and on loads of occasions i come across dog's off leads,do their owners not realise how dangerous this is?no matter how well trained they may think their dog is,it only has to see something across the road that it is interested in and off it goes!it could very easily get it self killed or cause someone to to get killed. "rant"over!!!!

2 of my neighbours dogs were killed this way. They've not learned, the third is still off lead. Dogs don't know the difference between a road and pavement.

that's the point i was getting at,there is a time and a place to let your dog's off lead and at the side of a busy main road is not one of them.

sorry, I don't agree

now if you want to debate the use of retractable leads on the street, I'll happily join in

I don't see a lot of difference with either example, off lead or 15ft in front. Either way the dog can change direction and be in the road in a second but I suspect your argument will be against retractables in general :hihi:

I don't see a lot of difference with either example, off lead or 15ft in front. Either way the dog can change direction and be in the road in a second but I suspect your argument will be against retractables in general :hihi:
nope - we've got a couple of retractables, but they only get used in open spaces, and never on a road (unless he's walking the MIL :rolleyes: )

I've yet to see anybody with a retractabled dog under any sort of control, whereas dogs walked off lead usually are

If a dog bolts without a lead it's got a good chance of not coming to harm, but if it's on a retractable then it can't escape whatever is heading its way If it's made it to the middle of the road, on a retractable the lead will become entangled in the vehicle that should have missed it

Brude is walked on a long training lead, cliipped up into a shoulder lead now that I can't give him my undivided attention whilst walking H too... actually, he's usually double leaded, as H has to walk him too, and then she's on a lead to catch her when she falls over :rolleyes:

There's a big difference between allowing a dog to walk off lead and walking a dog off lead.

I do on occasion allow mine near roads off the lead, they wouldn't run off in those circumstances if doggie world war 3 was happening,obviously they aren't a true reflection on most dogs.

I hate retractables with a vengeance,they should be banned. They are an invention for the unintelligent.

I think I've missed something as I'm not following the reasons behind hatred towards flexis. :confused:

We have a flexi for Skye, our 4 yr old dane, as she used to be extremely aggressive towards other dogs and will never be able to be trusted off lead. She is now very well behaved (for my husband) and has a flexi so she can still sniff around on fields etc but isnt posing a risk to anyone or anything. She is so used to it that she knows how long it is and will run to the end but stop right before it jams.

For me, there are far worse things to rant about like owners who never ever take their dogs for walks. There are so many dogs that live on our little estate but we have only ever seen two of them get walked. This really gets to me. So when I see dogs that are walked near roads off lead, I think they must have a pretty good life as they are well trained, walked regularly and well cared for. I just hope that they are never unlucky enough to have an accident.

I don't really get why people walk off lead near roads, I know some are perfectly fine to do so but surely near a road you'd have the dog to heel anyway so why not just pop the lead on to be extra sure :confused:

There's a bloke near me that walks his off lead down the street, I've nearly ran over one of them before now and he just doesn't seem to care :confused:

Archived