Do you believe in God?  

374 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in God?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Willing to be convinced

On 12/01/2023 at 17:04, Dromedary said:

Mormonism is still base on the Christian religion though and the others are not religions but cults which is a different thing. Since 610 AD God seems to have decided that 3 times is enough!

There has been and still is some religious cults ,mostly run by lunatics.

2 hours ago, lottiecass said:

There has been and still is some religious cults ,mostly run by lunatics.

I agree. :thumbsup:

It's simply a question of faith. Either you believe or you don't....

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Since nobody knows how or why we all got here, it's anybody's guess.

Just beware of those grinning, sneering celeb scientists on telly, who claim, with certainty, to know exactly what happened one trillionth of a second after some big bang.

They are making more money than a lot of the faithful among us.

They are so sure that life springs up anywhere in the universe where conditions are favorable,

Trouble is, conditions are favorable right here on earth, but they haven't managed to create it in their labs  :)

Edited by trastrick

There is a big swirly ,spinning ,  topsy turvy machine in Switzerland  that is doing just that .

So the trillion quid  men say /

26 minutes ago, Anna B said:

This way of saying things forces people to take one of two sides and does not allow other alternatives or neutrality and makes the assumption that the question is logical. Any answer accepts the views of the questioner and stops any further debate. At Sunday school we repeatedly chanted:

"How many types of children are there?

There are two types of children, 

There are Good children and bad children.

The Good children believe in God and bad children who do not."(tr)

At an early age I cried because my parents and siblings did not pray or go to chapel so they must have been bad children. Later it became clear that this binary view was a creation, an invention, a tool of a minority. The view that "(e)ither you believe or you don't..." is biblical:

Joshua 5:13 "It happened, when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted up his eyes and looked, and behold, a man stood in front of him with his sword drawn in his hand. Joshua went to him, and said to him, 'Are you for us, or for our adversaries?'"

Matthew 12:30 "Whoever is not with Me is against Me, and whoever does not gather with Me scatters".

Luke 9:50 "Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us."

Mark 9:40 "Whoever is not against us is for us".

and others

Lenin "...each man must choose between joining our side or the other side."

Mussolini "You're either with us or against us."

It is a gang thing.

6 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

This way of saying things forces people to take one of two sides and does not allow other alternatives or neutrality and makes the assumption that the question is logical. Any answer accepts the views of the questioner and stops any further debate. At Sunday school we repeatedly chanted:

"How many types of children are there?

There are two types of children, 

There are Good children and bad children.

The Good children believe in God and bad children who do not."(tr)

At an early age I cried because my parents and siblings did not pray or go to chapel so they must have been bad children. Later it became clear that this binary view was a creation, an invention, a tool of a minority. The view that "(e)ither you believe or you don't..." is biblical:

Joshua 5:13 "It happened, when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted up his eyes and looked, and behold, a man stood in front of him with his sword drawn in his hand. Joshua went to him, and said to him, 'Are you for us, or for our adversaries?'"

Matthew 12:30 "Whoever is not with Me is against Me, and whoever does not gather with Me scatters".

Luke 9:50 "Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us."

Mark 9:40 "Whoever is not against us is for us".

and others

Lenin "...each man must choose between joining our side or the other side."

Mussolini "You're either with us or against us."

It is a gang thing.

It is a way of deciding how the universe came into being.

You can separate God from religious teaching.

37 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

There is a big swirly ,spinning ,  topsy turvy machine in Switzerland  that is doing just that .

So the trillion quid  men say /

They have got all the parts they need, the atoms, the molecules.

All they need is that little nudge, the life force,  that makes them want to replicate and take over the world.  :)

5 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

You are making an assumption that I need to decide and that I need to decide between the alternatives you provide.

25 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

It's a question that can never be "decided", one way, or t'other.

Unless you are happy to have some talking head decide for you!

Maybe I should have worded my post differently and said it is a reason for having faith..

Undecided is a very sensible option.

8 minutes ago, trastrick said:

They have got all the parts they need, the atoms, the molecules.

All they need is that little nudge, the life force,  that makes them want to replicate and take over the world.  :)

Things have moved on considerably as the 'big swirly things' has gone way beyond atoms or molecules and they certainly have not found all the sub-atomic bits and most importantly the interactions between them at different scales and dimensions. Because Darwin had no genetics, Mendeleev had no atomic number and Rutherford no neutrons, understanding had to wait for the next generation to explain and refine and use their theories.

The physics or chemistry of "...the life force..." is  non-existent as is that of phlogiston, alchemy, earth centred universe and dozens of other dead-end or superseded theories.