Why not this much celebration on St. Georges day??

There is a list published 'How to celebrate St George'. Perhaps some of his staunch supporters would like to organise (or ask the council to organise) some of these traditionally English events.

Here's the link: http://www.stgeorgesholiday.com/celebration/

It includes Morris dancing (no surprise there), church bell ringing, and even a medieval re-enactment as suggestions.

Nothing about a beer tent and daft hats. ;)

Actually Morris dancing is a right laugh. It's basically getting drunk and hitting each other with sticks, I have had some very enjoyable morris dancing experiences, particularly when it gets a bit drunk and rowdy.

The other events sound alright too. In fairness my Irish relatives think we are a bit weird celebrating Paddy's but not our own, they think it is rather a shame we're not encouraged to be patriotic.

Actually Morris dancing is a right laugh. It's basically getting drunk and hitting each other with sticks, I have had some very enjoyable morris dancing experiences, particularly when it gets a bit drunk and rowdy.

And its name was originally "Moorish dancing" - it's a habit we picked up from the Muslims, about 1200 years ago.

In fairness my Irish relatives think we are a bit weird celebrating Paddy's but not our own, they think it is rather a shame we're not encouraged to be patriotic.

But Saint's days are not indicative of a country. They're a Catholic festival.

Catholic countries will celebrate the day of their patron saint. Actively Protestant countries will make a point of not celebrating them.

Actually Morris dancing is a right laugh. It's basically getting drunk and hitting each other with sticks,

Cool, legalised violence. :thumbsup:

In what other circumstances can you beat someone with a stick and not worry about being arrested. ? Sounds good to me.

(Not sure about the bells though, they make you look a bit of a girl)

But Saint's days are not indicative of a country. They're a Catholic festival.

Catholic countries will celebrate the day of their patron saint. Actively Protestant countries will make a point of not celebrating them.

I see your point, but we are becoming more secularist as a country, so the Protestant thing matters less. I think celebraing St Georges Day is more a thing of popular culture than religious.

I see your point, but we are becoming more secularist as a country, so the Protestant thing matters less. I think celebraing St Georges Day is more a thing of popular culture than religious.

A day to celebrate all things English would be excellent; but I would propose an extra bank holiday for Trafalgar Day in late October. (Partly because we already have four bank holidays during April and May, and none at all between late August and Christmas.)

I've celebrated St George's Day since l was a kid. For the past 15 years l've always taken my son out on St George's Day and the following has grown every year. We usually celebrate it away from Sheffield in places like Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle or York. The reason behind this as the op has posted is that Sheffield celebrates anything that isn't representative of Englishness. The Council has always been like this, shameful in it's celebrations of everything relating to other people's heritage and culture. I certainly don't mind celebrating other culture's events but just for "fairness" it ought to at least try to support the English heritage...after all this is ENGLAND.