Is a book really worth all this?

Is a burnt book reason enough for all this violence?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Is a burnt book reason enough for all this violence?

• Yes
    • No

MrMoran - even you would respond with violence if yu felt sufficiently enraged about something, would you not?

Hand on heart i can say no.

Ive only ever lashed out once and that was in a situation with me and some bloke who was being very handy.

I felt threatened, i felt in immedate danger so i hit him with one single blow to the face.

Asking that same question to yourself, would you?

And what would it take for you to be violent?

The last time i was enraged, someone hit my mum in the face. Its going back afew years but i was there and i saw it happen.

What should i have done?

Or, what do you feel i would have had the justification to do baring in mind somone had hit my mum in the face.?

I don't know, I wasn't there.

Hand on heart i can say no.

Ive only ever lashed out once and that was in a situation with me and some bloke who was being very handy.

I felt threatened, i felt in immedate danger so i hit him with one single blow to the face.

Asking that same question to yourself, would you?

And what would it take for you to be violent?

And yet in the very next sentence you admit that the answer is, in fact, yes.

Me? I'm not without fault.

What would it take for me to be violent? A direct assault on my person perhaps, or on someone I love. Being sufficiently enraged.

Understandable inasmuch as those who are angry see the act as a gross insult to something they hold very dear - the most important symbol of their entire faith and culture. Surely you can see that?

That is a very patronising attitude.

They are more advanced and intelligent than that.

You, and many others, speak about them as if they were a backward people.

It is only words printed on paper.

The principle cannot be burned can it?

By reacting against the type of people who burn books, you are playing directly into their hands.

Its a joke, has to be.. cannot you see the funny side? The hipocracy??

Americans burn THE BOOK ( well that is not unusual as they used it for toilet paper a couple of years ago}

Local people demonstrate

America apologises

(meanwhile)…..Americans shoot demonstrators, few killed

America demonstrates degree of sincerity.

So that’s alright then!

It’s not ‘the pages and paper’ that’s the issue. But you know that already. Look at history and how these ‘books’ have been used. It’s the ideas and the books. And the fact that the people who burnt the books, accidentally or otherwise, aren’t wanted there and are viewed as aggressors. You could say the soldiers themselves are killing because of ‘a book’. Be it the manual you get when you join, the constitution, the bible. All just ‘books’ but we both know they’re more than that.

As for people dying, yes, it’s either wrong or right. More often than not it’s wrong. But that’s not the question you asked in your poll.

No its the mindset of the religious morons behind the book ,it helps highlight the hatred that this book generates amongst its followers, the followers of the so called religion of peace using a book to excuse the killing and bloodshed says a lot about the supposedly peaceful intentions of Islam.

I see the Americans are very apologetic for the incident, but who will apologise for the murderous mobs of mad Muslims?

Who do you think should apologise?

The principle cannot be burned can it?

By reacting against the type of people who burn books, you are playing directly into their hands.

Quoted for truth.

Ultimately its a book. There are plenty of other copies of the book to replace it. What the book stands for is still there. If it were Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows that had been burnt you wouldn't get scores of Hogwartians taking to the streets causing carnage.

Are we not beyond the point where people can see that words on paper are replaceable but principles stand firm forever?

No its the mindset of the religious morons behind the book ,it helps highlight the hatred that this book generates amongst its followers, the followers of the so called religion of peace using a book to excuse the killing and bloodshed says a lot about the supposedly peaceful intentions of Islam.

And yet you were glorying in these deaths, you even betted on how many would be killed, which makes you as bad as them.

Understandable inasmuch as those who are angry see the act as a gross insult to something they hold very dear - the most important symbol of their entire faith and culture. Surely you can see that?

How is what I said there patronising? They do hold the book as being absolutely central to their faith and culture.

How is what I said there patronising? They do hold the book as being absolutely central to their faith and culture.
I'm surprised at you of all people, Halibut, taking that attitude. It IS patronising, I can't imagine you taking the same attitude if a mob of JWs went on the rampage because someone burned a few copies of their version of the Bible, which is also absolutely central to their faith and culture. You're only prepared to tolerate it because in your heart of hearts you don't really expect anything better from them.

As Balpin says, you can't burn a principle, these were just books after all. It's not as though it was the last copy in the world. I expect better of them anyway, even if you don't.

In reply to the OP, I don't agree with book-burning, but the burning of a few private copies of a book is NOT really worth all this violence and mayhem. It just makes them look foolish and not capable of reasoned and acceptable behaviour.

They hold a few pieces of paper and ink, produced on a massive industrial press, and bound in an automatic binding machine, probably in a far off land, to be their basic tenet?

I dont think they do, I think they hold the holy word of the Prophet Mohammed to be their basic tenet.

Anything else sounds like idolatry.

Show some respect to these people will you?