Is a book really worth all this?

Is a burnt book reason enough for all this violence?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Is a burnt book reason enough for all this violence?

• Yes
    • No

I don't know, I wasn't there.

Honest answer.

Try to put yourself in my shoes, what do you think you would have done?

And yet in the very next sentence you admit that the answer is, in fact, yes.

Me? I'm not without fault.

What would it take for me to be violent? A direct assault on my person perhaps, or on someone I love. Being sufficiently enraged.

What i meant by that (as is pretty clear to see) was that i didnt lash out in anger, it was fear for personal saftey.

Two very different things in both life and law :)

I'm surprised at you of all people, Halibut, taking that attitude. It IS patronising, I can't imagine you taking the same attitude if a mob of JWs went on the rampage because someone burned a few copies of their version of the Bible, which is also absolutely central to their faith and culture. You're only prepared to tolerate it because in your heart of hearts you don't really expect anything better from them.

As Balpin says, you can't burn a principle, these were just books after all. It's not as though it was the last copy in the world. I expect better of them anyway, even if you don't.

In reply to the OP, I don't agree with book-burning, but the burning of a few private copies of a book is NOT really worth all this violence and mayhem. It just makes them look foolish and not capable of reasoned and acceptable behaviour.

Excellent post.

:thumbsup:

I'm surprised at you of all people, Halibut, taking that attitude. It IS patronising, I can't imagine you taking the same attitude if a mob of JWs went on the rampage because someone burned a few copies of their version of the Bible, which is also absolutely central to their faith and culture. You're only prepared to tolerate it because in your heart of hearts you don't really expect anything better from them.

As Balpin says, you can't burn a principle, these were just books after all. It's not as though it was the last copy in the world. I expect better of them anyway, even if you don't.

In reply to the OP, I don't agree with book-burning, but the burning of a few private copies of a book is NOT really worth all this violence and mayhem. It just makes them look foolish and not capable of reasoned and acceptable behaviour.

Well said, what I trying to say, but better said.;)

I never said it did give them the right to do so, so I don't see why you feel the need to imply otherwise. I'm simply saying that I understand their motivation for behaving this way, not that I approve of it.

yes you do haliburton my old son ,when are you going to come out of that muslim closet:hihi:

yes you do haliburton my old son ,when are you going to come out of that muslim closet:hihi:

This is shaping up to be a really good thread.

Dont spoil it by turning it personal.

Who do you think should apologise?

a murderous mad muslim:huh:

a murderous mad muslim:huh:

That would make sense, but unfortunately some seem to think that every Muslim on the planet are accountable for the actions of a tiny minority.

This is shaping up to be a really good thread.

Dont spoil it by turning it personal.

like halibut and boyfriday have an habit of doing.

like halibut and boyfriday have an habit of doing.

I know, ive been at the brunt of it many times but 2 wrongs dont make a right..

And making it personal is a sure fire way to a locked thread.

That would make sense, but unfortunately some seem to think that every Muslim on the planet are accountable for the actions of a tiny minority.

maybe they think that because they remember the islamic worlds reaction to a certain book by salman rushdie.how many copies of that got burned in muslim countrys?(actually most of them got burned in none muslim countrys)

with halibuts way of thinking it'd have been understandble for us to start attacking and burning down mosques in the uk for what we hold central to our culture.

freedom of speech

Edited by johncocker

I know, ive been at the brunt of it many times but 2 wrongs dont make a right..

And making it personal is a sure fire way to a locked thread.

point taken.I agree

you"ve obviously become a born again christian:D