Roller skating in attercliffe

It was over Websters second hand furniture store near Attercliffe church, we had great times in Mugs Alley as learners then we went upstairs and skated to music

hi pauline bell

spent a lot off my youth at this fine rink above websters the owners were a family called travis and was run by a man called harry rhodes and bernard deakin i used to enjoy dancing on roller skates also playing roller hockey at this rink and many others around the contry including billy butlins camps hope you enjoyed all the same as i did made some great friends at this rink regards aj

hi pauline bell

spent a lot off my youth at this fine rink above websters the owners were a family called travis and was run by a man called harry rhodes and bernard deakin i used to enjoy dancing on roller skates also playing roller hockey at this rink and many others around the contry including billy butlins camps hope you enjoyed all the same as i did made some great friends at this rink regards aj

hi this brings back wonderful memories used to go three times a week made lots of friends not good with names but i remember aguy called roy used to give out the scates and he was an very good at the dancing also someone called billie and lots more who names ecsape me now but i would have been around 16 to 18 years old im now 68 lots of nice memories j

Had many good sat morns at skates above websters furniture store Zion lane.The steps you went up to skate were very steep once inside you went in mugs alley, come cafe or main arena which i had many a misshap ha ha good times i only lived 3 streets away,what memories, wheres time gone

Edited by raymondo1952
press wrong button on computer

Hi Raymondo hasn't Attercliffe changed we didn't need to go to Town for anything, 3 picture houses and The Palace for entertainment, I forgot there was the Regal as well. My gran had a beeroff shop on Brompton Road just across from Joe Emmens the coal merchant so you probably lived close by.

I used to go roller skating with my cousin, first clinging on in mugs alley, then being a bit more daring we went upstairs with the real skaters.

There used to be a long line of skaters going round the rink and if you joined at the end of the line you were whipped off quickly as the end kept flicking round.

Years later I went to Butlins with my famlly of 3 boys and we decided to try roller skating. We put on the skates and slowly joined the rink.

Guess who starred--- not having said much about my skill in the past---- the boys were not happy with their Mom showing them how it was done

hazel

I used to go 4-5 times a week in the 50s,had some great times,its a pity some of the skates had a mind of their own but that was part of the fun,Attercliffe has changed beyond recognition my mum used to drag me down there every Saturday shopping not knowing that I probably knew it better than she did but whilst waiting for the no.5 bus I always got a milk shake in the Brompton cafe while she had a fag.These were times when kids of 5or6 could go out on their own in safety and besides if i got in any scraps I could always find an aunts to take refuge in.

hi this brings back wonderful memories used to go three times a week made lots of friends not good with names but i remember aguy called roy used to give out the scates and he was an very good at the dancing also someone called billie and lots more who names ecsape me now but i would have been around 16 to 18 years old im now 68 lots of nice memories j

Hi Cleegirl

The fellow who gave the skates out was called Roy Darwin he had a sister called June and they both used to dance on skates and were very good. I used to go caroling on Xmas Eve until I had enough money to go to the skates, great memories. I was born on Melville Road off Broughton Lane in 1944.