Unusual name of streets

On another thread someone mentioned a bicycle shop near Leppings Lane .

The shop was on "Catch Bar Lane"

Maybe something to do with a toll bar

A "Catch Bar" was a small Toll Bar set up to catch the people trying to avoid the main Toll Bar by going a different route.

2 Sheffield street names that mystify me are:

Cupola

Bower Spring

Anyone any ideas on how the above got their names?

Sh2006.

The deifinition of Cupola is a vertical cylindrical furnace for melting iron for casting

2. a roof in the form of a dome

So that might give a clue as to that one. As for Bower Spring, it probably refers to a natural spring that was in the area (one of many in certain areas). Bower means a place enclosed by trees, bushes or flowers. I don't know where Bower Spring is but if it's in the Cupola, Meadow St, Spring St area of Sheffield, there used to be quite a lot of pagan, ritual activity going on around there ( Mayday stuff and so on) so that might answer that one :)

Butt Hole Road springs to mind, but sadly it's been renamed now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butt_Hole_Road

I work by Deadman's Hole Lane, (Tinsley) and I've tried to find out how it got it's name, but to no avail. Or at least no definitive answer. I even went to the central library and 'poured' over the old maps and tried to find references to it. Some say it's on old Roman Plague pit. But I couldn't find any evidence of it. My theory is that it was once a river crossing point and was for some reason highly dangerous, as opposed to going further upstream where there was a toll bridge. But that's only my own 'tinpot' theory.

In the forties when I lived in Tinsley we used to cross the stream (boundary between Sheffield/Rotherham) and walk up Breakback to Deadmans Hollow which was just a deep hole that we were told a man fell into and couldn't climb out and was found dead at the bottom of the Hollow this is how the story went. Is Deadmans Hole Lane called after this old tale? Any old Tinsleyites will verify this story.

The deifinition of Cupola is a vertical cylindrical furnace for melting iron for casting

2. a roof in the form of a dome

So that might give a clue as to that one. As for Bower Spring, it probably refers to a natural spring that was in the area (one of many in certain areas). Bower means a place enclosed by trees, bushes or flowers. I don't know where Bower Spring is but if it's in the Cupola, Meadow St, Spring St area of Sheffield, there used to be quite a lot of pagan, ritual activity going on around there ( Mayday stuff and so on) so that might answer that one :)

Bower Spring is just off the begining of Gibralter St on the right hand side going out of Town, the Bower in question was Mr Robert Bower who owned the land on which the spring/stream was on in 1673.

Petticoat Lane,Patternoster Row, Harvy Clough Road, Catlane Woods,Warminster Road, Onetree Hill,(which is flat and has no trees)Humbug Scrubs(australia)

Petticoat Lane is one ofthree names this lane had the first in the 13th century was Hogs lane, then it was petticoat lane( probably because of the second hand clothes that were sold in the market there) and so as not to offend Queen Victoria it was re-named Middlesex St and its still its official name. Paternoster Row was named after the Row in London where Rosarys were made Paternoster is Latin for OUR FATHER. Harvey Clough was the name of a field, Harvey was probably the name of a tenant farmer and CLOUGH usually indicates a narrow glen.Cat Lane comes from a Swedish word KAETTE meaning a fold for lambs. Warminster was renamed in 1903 after the Wiltshire town of the same name. One tree Hill speaks for itself what it looks like now has no reference to what it was. Ive no info about Australia.

Edited by lazarus

Bower Spring is just off the begining of Gibralter St on the right hand side going out of Town, the Bower in question was Mr Robert Bower who owned the land on which the spring/stream was on in 1673.

Thanks for clarifying that......at least I was roght about the spring :)