Unusual name of streets

Salt Box Lane ,at Grenoside

I should image that there must have been cottages in the shape of a salt box similiar to the Salt Box cottages that were on Psalter Lane. Where the roof sloped down from the back wall of the cottage with no ridge tiles at all.

Beat thee to Fanny Hands Lane:hihi::hihi::hihi:

You must remember that Fanny was a very common name among women during the 19th century so its pretty obvious that a well know woman who lived near or besides the lane was called Fanny Hands, so anyone wanting directions or a general area was directed to the lane where Fanny Hands lived.

Originally Posted by pigeon

4TO THINK ABOUT?

Fanny Hands Lane

White apron street

warning tongue lane

toad lane

White apron St there was probably a number of bakers,butchers, grocers on this Street and all wore white aprons while working.

Warning Tongue lane most probably had some women who gave the sharp end of her tongue to passers by.

Toad Lane has ended up from the local dialect "T`owd" Lane to Toad Lane.

Butt Hole Road springs to mind, but sadly it's been renamed now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butt_Hole_Road

I work by Deadman's Hole Lane, (Tinsley) and I've tried to find out how it got it's name, but to no avail. Or at least no definitive answer. I even went to the central library and 'poured' over the old maps and tried to find references to it. Some say it's on old Roman Plague pit. But I couldn't find any evidence of it. My theory is that it was once a river crossing point and was for some reason highly dangerous, as opposed to going further upstream where there was a toll bridge. But that's only my own 'tinpot' theory.