Unusual name of streets

:DDo you think they brewed their own liquor many moons ago?:hihi:

Sweetdexter was it you that delivered papers on our Road, Milnrow? I know the streets around there were named after poets.:)

Yeh, Chaucer, Keats and Dryden to name but three. Down Lincolnshire theres one called Fanny Hands Lane and that is the truth

I think it was called the penny engine line part of it is still there

I think this was called "Penny Engine Lane" because for one penny the locals could buy a ride there on the coal train that ran down from the Seldom Seen Colliery in Eckington to the then main line at Renishaw. It is possible to trace the route of this long gone line by its remaining features- bridges, embankments etc.

I think it was called the penny engine line part of it is still there

Built in the mid-19th century to serve the short-lived colliery in Eckington Woods. The pit closed in 1901, but I don't know whether the line closed with it or lasted longer. The long straight lane leading into the woods from near Eckington Church is on the old track bed. If you look down on Eckington on Google Earth you can see the line of the old railway by following the line of trees running through the village, coming from behind the Castle Hill estate, along Penny Engine Lane, across the A6135 and across the golf course to join the existing line. The place where it went under the A6135 can still be seen by the walls of the old bridge on either side of the road. The bridge below is now filled in and landscaped.

Edited by md00071

I believe the area is named after after a British victory on the island of Mahon (in the Mediterranean off the Spanish coast) during the Napoleonic Wars (circa 1803–1815). Not sure which victory though.

K.

I think you will find it was a British defeat by the French in 1756 at Port Mahon in Minorca which resulted in Admiral Bling the man responsible for the defeat, was hanged on his arrival back to England. When he was hanged a Sheffield mob burnt his effigy.

Edited by lazarus

I always wondered about Farm Road Unadopted when I was a girl, I also like Pocket Handkerchief Lane near Killamarsh and Penny Engine Lane in Eckington

Farm Road is obvious, there was a Farm there in the 1800s, pocket Handkerchief Lane relates to a field name, because the locals always said the the field "Was no bigger than a pocket hankerchief"

what about nicknames given to roads , like 'jawbone hill' that leads from Oughtibridge to Grenoside , not sure what its real name is !

Jawbone Hill was so named because a Whales Jawbone once stood on the hill nearby. True

Your memory serves you well but it's called Frog Walk (why????) just near the general cemetary

Opinion has it that the walk was always in the Sheffield dialect "T`owd" Walk ( Toad Walk) this eventually turned into Frog walk-- or could it have been that their was an abundance of frogs there making their way to the Snuff Mills pond?

Edited by lazarus