Roofer recommendations megathread - NO JOBS, ADVERTISING OR QUOTES

Ring Mark Nield from Toptile Roofing. He's done work for us and our daughter. Reliable and he won't rip you off.

Tel 0114 2342190

Mobile 07761789282

Me mums used these before & been very happy: D.S.B Roofing 07984494091

We used Martin Brookes ten years ago. Thet were helpful and efficient. Not a problem in ten years. Hope I haven't spoken too soon.

Thanks for the tips. Really appreciate it. I'll give them all a try

I can happily recommend Dalton roofing for a complete new roof (not sure whether they so small repairs, but they may well do)

They did me a complete new roof and guttering in 2007, and Philip the owner was great. They were the middle quote cost wise of 3 'proper' ones I got. I did get a 4th but the guy did not inspire confidence at all, and his quote was so low it was worrying!

I've had a slight problem with a leaky joint on the guttering, and wires got a bit crossed as to exactly where it was leaking. As a result they ended up coming back out I think 4 times, which on one level you might think was bad, but they never complained, and Philip personally came himself twice. It's now sorted, and I'm delighted.

Hope this helps.

The best company I've ever used is Alliance Roofing Contractors, based in S6 just off Bolehill Road.

We have a new roof with Canadian Glendine slates (real slates not those fibre things which are in effect rubbish and are only look good for 5 years but great if you need a quick fix before putting your house on the market).

The person to contact is Dave Middleton, they are listed in the Thomson local and yellow pages and unlike a lot of firms out there Dalton's included they don't charge the world for a simple repair or indeed a full replacement PLUS they are FMB (Federation of Master Builders registered) so you know you will get excellent value for money.

As far as costs go Dalton's quoted me £9.700 for a basic roof on a terraced house and I personally based on reports by previous customers of theirs wouldn't touch them. I did my homework and narrowed it down to three companies and I chose Alliance based on the work they had done previously and the quality of the workmanship, the qualifications and the overall price. Plus I got the roof I wanted for considerably less rather than being quoted for something I really didn't want. Three years on the roof is outstanding... Glenndyne slates are from the same time period as Welsh slate, they are the same however a slightly different colour and are imported from Quebec Canada

Personally I wouldn't recommend anyone else. You need a company thats suitably qualified. As with all companies you get what you pay for and if you opt for a company without professional backing and something goes wrong you're doomed!

Best wishes

John Arnold. (Crosspool/Sandygate). He has been around for donkey's years and is great.

I've just used Hilltop builders and roofing in Dronfield, and they were very efficient

Try your insurance company, they usually have a list of tried and tested contractors.

I had a cowboy working on my roof and I was told by my insurance company it is always best to check with them as so many people are cheated and overcharged with little recourse. At least the people who are recommended have to havre a good track reciord or the insurance companies wouldn't recommend them. It's sworth a [phone call.