Roofer recommendations megathread - NO JOBS, ADVERTISING OR QUOTES

Nick and Tom 0796410124 reasonable prices and quality work. Ive recommended them to friends who have all beeb really pleased

The best company I've ever used is Alliance Roofing Contractors, based in S6 just off Bolehill Road.

We have a new roof with Canadian Glendine slates (real slates not those fibre things which are in effect rubbish and are only look good for 5 years but great if you need a quick fix before putting your house on the market).

The person to contact is Dave Middleton, they are listed in the Thomson local and yellow pages and unlike a lot of firms out there Dalton's included they don't charge the world for a simple repair or indeed a full replacement PLUS they are FMB (Federation of Master Builders registered) so you know you will get excellent value for money.

As far as costs go Dalton's quoted me £9.700 for a basic roof on a terraced house and I personally based on reports by previous customers of theirs wouldn't touch them. I did my homework and narrowed it down to three companies and I chose Alliance based on the work they had done previously and the quality of the workmanship, the qualifications and the overall price. Plus I got the roof I wanted for considerably less rather than being quoted for something I really didn't want. Three years on the roof is outstanding... Glenndyne slates are from the same time period as Welsh slate, they are the same however a slightly different colour and are imported from Quebec Canada

Personally I wouldn't recommend anyone else. You need a company thats suitably qualified. As with all companies you get what you pay for and if you opt for a company without professional backing and something goes wrong you're doomed!

Best wishes

Sounds to me like your on a commission or something, you're so zealous about Alliance!

Don't know how big your terrace is but Dalton charged me about £5300 for a detached cottage, for complete new roof in Spanish slate and new guttering.

Re Federation of Master Builders they are basically a trade body which you pay a subscription for, so you can use their logo. Membership in no way guarantees anything about the standard of workmanship etc. For the record Dalton are also members.

I had a quote off Alliance which was twice as much won't be using them that's for sure!

Happy to take a look anytime to suit and provide free written quotation. WE WILL TURN ON TIME AGREED.

Happy to take a look anytime to suit and provide free written quotation. WE WILL TURN UP AT TIME AGREED

Hi. My builder is excellent and very reasonable for a great job - he will quote ya 07973219087.

Lots of great feedback from customers and all are extremely satisfied! Give him a call

Whatever you do avoid yellow pages

Yellow pages is rubbish for roof repairs. As soon as it rains it goes all soggy.

Sorry.

Although I did hear.some years ago after some bad gales,of a roofer using grey painted cardboard to replace missing slates with.Slates were in short supply and he'd sanwhich a load of cardboard between two real slates to carry the up to the roof.Once they were in place you couldn't tell from ground level.Until it rained.

I've also,more than once,had to repair a hole in a roof behind a chimney where someone working next door had taken slates from!

Get well recomended roofers!

Don't know how big your terrace is but Dalton charged me about £5300 for a detached cottage, for complete new roof in Spanish slate and new guttering.

OUCH! and double OUCH

Alliance were very good and offered excellent value for money which is why I would recommend them to everyone. We didn't have Spanish slates as they have traces of Pyrite (unsure of the spelling there) in them which over a period of time in the UK with our weather could lead to small holes appearing in your roof. This information I received was from actual roofers incidentally. This I have to mention does not include all Spanish slate as like Welsh, Glendyne and others it is graded therefore ensure you get the best grade for your roof! I did my research on slates before I jumped in to get a new roof.

Concerning the Federation of Master Builders they are basically a trade body which you pay a subscription for, so you can use their logo, this is true. Membership in no way guarantees anything about the standard of workmanship etc.

Actually it does, our roof we have underwritten by the FMB directly and it is fully insured therefore should either Dave retire and we have an issue the roof is FULLY guaranteed to be repaired or replaced by the FMB completely FREE of charge anytime over the next 25 years. Therefore please inform me which other "bodies" FULLY insure their members work and code of practices.

Dave Middleton is a qualified roofer and you can see this in the work that he provides. I understand P Dalton a former Martin Brookes employee is a qualified roofer but I somehow doubt that the majority of the 17 year olds he employs are too, would you trust a youth to either repair or replace your roof without formal qualifications???? If you would then you are a fool.

We also obtained a quote from Martin Brookes and Fred Crofts in Hillsborough. Martin Brookes were competitive however couldn't offer Glenndyne slates, in fact only Alliance could.

However its each to their own, I am extremely happy with my roof and obtained a result far better than I expected, even now after 3 years it still looks good and will be here long after I've gone.

I'm looking for an honest roofer to fix some missing slates in the short term and possibly a complete roof replacement somewhere down the line. So far, my experience has been poor - either the roofers don't even bother to show up to give a quote even though they know I've taken time off work to wait in for them or they are so obviously overcharging that I'm not going to be using their services. Any recommendations for a good roofer would be very much appreciated!

try A+A Roofing on 2852403 always turn up on time and do a good job

Don't know what happened to my post, it seems to have disappeared, so I'll say it again. I had Dalton roofing for a complete new roof and guttering in summer 07. Very pleased with the quality of the Spanish slate tiles used, and the punctuality, attitude and skill of the workmen. They also do repairs.

Thanks everyone. We've gone with Mark Neild for the roof repair (turned and did the job straight away at a v reasonable price. Would highly recommend) but will look into all your suggestions for when it comes to replacing the roof. I'm obviously going to get a fair few quotes before committing to such an expense