Farmers shooting dogs

Could could could...

If I get drunk and drive my car home safely, I've broken a law. I could've caused some damage, and thus that is why the law is there. We have to take conditions into account when we make laws.

A dog in a field of sheep could cause damage - it is an absolute truth.

I'm truly amazed anyone thinks the OP has any merit or thinks they're responsible owners.

He sounds like a responsible owner who had some bad luck. It is a situation in which it is hard to blame anyone.

we learn by our mistakes.

One dog paid the price for one of his mistakes, the other could have.

Is that acceptable?

In my humble opinion; it was less than reasonable to leave the dogs in a situation where they could escape so easily.

To lose one dog may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness.

Plagiarism and bastardisation in one sentence. I'm getting good. :)

One dog paid the price for one of his mistakes, the other could have.

Is that acceptable?

In my humble opinion; it was less than reasonable to leave the dogs in a situation where they could escape so easily.

To lose one dog may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness.

Plagiarism and bastardisation in one sentence. I'm getting good. :)

Well you know more than I do about the garden so I can't really comment. The standard six foot fence required by most rescues before adopting stops most but the more agile will find a way if it suits them to do so. The facts are that dogs are unpredictable, I know this because I have them and I've worked with dogs for a few years. I've seen large bulky dogs squeeze through bars in a kennel to get somewhere.

Is it acceptable that he lost a dog? I'd say he'll live with it for a while yet but its not as though he was aware of what was about to happen. If he was then the outcome would be unnacceptable. One dog caused a chain of events that ended tragically. Anyone of yours or my actions today may be the cause of a sad ending for someone else, life's like that.

I have looked it up thanks, I did beforehand, however there seems to be a bit of contradiction with the term “worrying” on this forum. I understand it as the dog is chasing/nipping/rounding up the sheep for it’s own amusement. However, apparently the sheep can get “worried” at the mere sight of a dog but that’s not “worrying” as it is defined in agricultural terms is it, because the dog is not actually doing anything, just being there standing still (as what seemed to happen in this case and it was still shot) so it’s not actually “worrying” them is it?

Hence my post, I was referring to this specific situation in the original post..

My understanding of the OP is that the dog got loose, and chased the sheep and maybe more ("worried" them).

The OP says so.

After that, when the farmer shot the dog it was standing still.

No?

We know the same thing.

The fence wasn't high enough to stop the dog that got shot.

We also know they were careless enough to let an old dog, that sounds infirm, to escape.

I have a Shepherd that can scale 8ft very easily and a garden with a rickety 3ft fence :D

As I said dogs are unpredictable and at 13 years one of ours can still out run me. The thing is with dogs they can be quite remarkable when they choose to be.

My understanding of the OP is that the dog got loose, and chased the sheep and maybe more ("worried" them).

The OP says so.

After that, when the farmer shot the dog it was standing still.

No?

Exactly, it was shot whilst standing still. Surely that sentence in itself says it all no? If it was so out of control wouldn't it still be ripping the sheep's throats out?

The sheep were still alive and there was a window of opportunity for the farmer to do something other than shoot the dog dead. Fire the gun in the air or chase it off if he was close enough. If this did no good (which I'm sure it would have in this particular case as the OP says the dog would have **** himself) and the dog was still fixated on the sheep then as a last resort, OK, do what needs to be done.

Exactly, it was shot whilst standing still. Surely that sentence in itself says it all no? If it was so out of control wouldn't it still be ripping the sheep's throats out?

The sheep were still alive and there was a window of opportunity for the farmer to do something other than shoot the dog dead. Fire the gun in the air or chase it off if he was close enough. If this did no good (which I'm sure it would have in this particular case as the OP says the dog would have **** himself) and the dog was still fixated on the sheep then as a last resort, OK, do what needs to be done.

The OP admitted the dog had been chasing the sheep. The farmer probably took the opportunity to get rid of the dog before it could cause any further damage. We have already established that firing a weapon in the air is not an effective method of scaring a dog. So, the farmer decides to chase the dog. Good idea... having a dog running amongst the sheep again.