Farmers shooting dogs

Why dont dog owners just buy a really really really long dog leash. You know,the ones that can reel them in if they start getting a bit boisterous. The dogs can still run around and get plenty of exercise without running free.

And it right gets my goat when a stinking muddy mutt comes up to me and decides to wipe its filthy paws on my clean clothes,and the owner says "he is just being friendly" Thats fine luv,i may just kick it up the arse to show my appreciation.

Typing on a phone so I'll be brief. You said they were trying to get it back. And calling it so I doubt it was only a few feet.

Again if they were trying to get it back they were not in control,

Farmer is justified.

You are missing the point.....wether the dog was 20 or 50 feet away of course they are goiung to call it back........

Do you actually read what people put,i agree if its trying to kill stock then yes the farmer i know will kill the dog......however if owner is near why could he of not just let them get the dog back......

just found this forum, when i was looking for farmers shooting dogs, i have had my dog shot dead by a farmer that was keeping sheep on land he was renting, this field is surrounded by houses, is very rarely used for livestock by the farmer who owns it, odd occasions, field is at the back of my house, not sure if its intended use is for agriculture use as it was once owned by the coal board and is a green belt, my dogs never get out by themselves always walked up in the forestry commission land, one weekend we were tidying up the garden and my dogs were chasing each other playing, i have also got an 17 year old collie who never goes anywhere now as she is quite frail, well this w/end she decided to make a bolt out the driveway and ran up the road, half the time she does not know where she is, we put the two younger dogs in the back garden and shut the gate while we went to get the old collie, i can only presume that my 15 month old timberland looked through the cat flap in the gate and seen me running out the drive, where she decided to jump the fence at the back into this field in the hope to get to me, and you guessed the rest, got distracted by the sheep in the field and worried them, she was a very friendly dog would go with anyone and loved playing with everything, she did not maul or kill any sheep, and the farmer in his statement to the police said he shot her while she was standing their, while i dont condemn the farmer in protecting his livestock they seem to be able to just get away with anything they want, the law i would say is 40 years out of date and their must be an alternative to having your dog shot dead i.e. a stun gun or a dart.

Not a day goes past i blame myself, even going to bed hoping not to wake in the morning so it would not hit me all over again, it's a two sided coin this, people will say you should be a better dog owner, but what about another post i have read where dog being walked on a lead, had being spoked and pulled itself free from the owner and ran for its life, only to run into a field of sheep, by the time the owner had caught up farmer had already shot the dog, in most cases the police will take the stand on the farmers side no matter what, while the owners are left to grieve for a beloved family member.

i have set up an online petition to try and have this looked at in parliament i know divided opinions will be on this, but feel free to sign this epetitions direct gov uk petitions 25885

Your dog didn't do anything wrong and your dog wasn't dangerous so he has got no excuse for his actions hope i wonder how he would react if someone shot his dog which was harmless.

With respect, some of you guys need to define the position of a farmer. Twenty bullocks, 30 yews, a yard full of hens, a bit of silage and bog all else, does not a farmer make.

What we have here is the farming version of a benefit cheat, very generous EU grants, payments for set aside, £50K SUV's being tax deductible along with the shotguns and cartridges that kills folks dogs.

I was out walking in one of the largest farms in the Peak Park this morning, and never noticed one wannabe farmer dressed in Hunters, mole skin trousers and Barbour coat cradling a £2000 shotgun in his arm. This is because the guys who I see are too bloody busy doing their jobs.

I feel really sad for you about the dog

I think the point is did he really need to shoot the dog if u had nearly got it. Some people probably too keen to shoot just cos they can I think I remember this happening in loxley as well. This isn't where u r is it

As a "Towny" (Sheffielder) now living in a rural community it immediately hit me the difference up here. People don't just let their dogs wander.

They respect the countryside and understand perfectly well the farmers right to protect his livestock.

Recently my daughter visited. She has a German Shepherd and thought it was fine to let her loose.

To be honest..the dog is as soft as a brush and would run away scared of the sheep.

BUT...that isn't known by the farmer is it?

Much to her disgust I insisted the dog was on a lead.

Sorry, but I'm on the side of the farmer.

Is there any need at all for that.People like you disgust me.Kicking people when they are down.He is obviously distressed about it.

So I should show false feelings for the owner?

Sheep are killed by loose dogs.

The farmer must protect his flock.

The OP let his dog run free on a sheep farm.

Do you really need a BSc to work out what's likely to happen?

I feel sorry for the dog.

The owner should compensate the farmer for the cost of the ammunition. :)

So I should show false feelings for the owner?

Sheep are killed by loose dogs.

The farmer must protect his flock.

The OP let his dog run free on a sheep farm.

Do you really need a BSc to work out what's likely to happen?

I feel sorry for the dog.

The owner should compensate the farmer for the cost of the ammunition. :)

In true definition he didn't let the dog run free at all as it was in his own garden. It was the dogs 'decision' to leave that space.

I would say the objectionable part of your post was to call the owner daft. As far as he was concerned the dog was secured. Having a 17 year old Collie also, shows some capability in looking after his animals I would say.