Farmers shooting dogs

The first time a dog chases sheep they get it in there mind set and even if you can chase the dog off it will remember there is sheep to chase and it will do it at any chance it gets, they become sheep worriers and they end up getting shot once a sheep worrier dog always a sheep worrier its nature and the farmers know this and will act accordingly it may be cruel to us dog lovers but that's nature and the law backing the farmer up, the onus is on you as a dog owner to protect your dog from getting shot.

At which point the owner, who seems responsible, would have a chance to learn from what happened and reinforce the garden. This wasn't down to an irresponisble owner, it was down to a chain of events beyond the owners control that he couldn't have anticipated as the dog had never jumped before and he didn't think he could.

At which point the owner, who seems responsible, would have a chance to learn from what happened and reinforce the garden. This wasn't down to an irresponisble owner, it was down to a chain of events beyond the owners control that he couldn't have anticipated as the dog had never jumped before and he didn't think he could.

And the farmer would know this, how?

A dead dog if it was a given, absolute certainty that he was going to kill the sheep and trying to scare and/or chasing him away hadn't worked.

At what point would it be a certainty?

I'm sure he'd remember the dog :|

I was asking, how would a farmer know the facts behind the dog being in his field?

And how do you know the dog would have killed? How do you know the dog wouldn't have ran away at a gun shot?

It mite have run off but that dog will know there are sheep there and it will do all it can to get at the sheep again especially if it has drawn blood.

I think it's a perfectly good alternative to at least try.[/Quote]

Actually it's not, you don't fire weapons above animals, as the sound appears to be coming from everywhere, so doesn't really help, all it's going to do is agitate the animal.

At what point would it be a certainty?

I was asking, how would a farmer know the facts behind the dog being in his field?

I think this is one of those occasions when a person uses common sense, reads the dog's body language and asseses the individual situation for what it is instead of getting trigger happy at the sight of a dog.

It mite have run off but that dog will know there are sheep there and it will do all it can to get at the sheep again especially if it has drawn blood.

And if the owner has a chance to build a 10-foot fence as he now knows the risk?

Actually it's not, you don't fire weapons above animals, as the sound appears to be coming from everywhere, so doesn't really help, all it's going to do is agitate the animal.

And you know that for certain? You can predict exactly how the dog is going to react?

Funny that because when my dogs hear loud bangs they run and hide...