"no kissing" CPR advert what do you think?

You need to be able to check for a pulse, otherwise you're quite right you could injure them.

The fact that they stop breathing and go a horrible colour will probably be a clue as well.

Actually on my FA@W refresher in December we were told to check for breathing only, the rationale being many non-medics find it difficult to find a pulse which would waste time and if they aren't breathing chest compressions should be attempted regardless.

They are also now teaching those on First Aid certificate courses not to do breaths unless they're completely happy with them; so the advert isn't reflective of advice given to total novices only. Their justification was that many people are put off CPR because of blood/vomit and then failed to even attempt chest compressions so they'd rather spread the message that compressions only should be attempted.

What if you don't know the "Staying Alive" tune. What if the only song you know from that period is "Mull of Kintyre".

What if you don't know the "Staying Alive" tune. What if the only song you know from that period is "Mull of Kintyre".

Then your 1 step away from touching up a corpse.

You would have to imagine you were hearing those Scottish bagpipes playing at a much faster speed.

Edited by janie48

I think the BHF have done a brilliant job making this advert.

I work as a Voluntary Community First Responder for the ambulance service and I were called to an elderly chap who had collapsed and stopped breathing in the street.

I was first on scene and arrived to a 18 year old lad shaking in his boots but doing his best to perform chest compression's. After I had shocked the collapsed man a few times and the 18 year old lad still kept up chest compression's for me on instruction, that elderly chap started to breath again. Just in time for the ambulance to arrive and intervene with additional drugs to help this elderly man further.

Hopefully that advert will make people think twice about helping someone out, because if it had been me that had collapsed in the street and stopped breathing, I wouldn't have wanted someone to walk by and do nothing.

My advice - GIVE IT A GO _ YOU CAN'T DO ANY MORE DAMAGE.

Schools can take part in a project that is called "HEART START", it is free for schools to join and British heart foundation provide the school with training, dummies and various other items to train the children.

Compression only CPR, as per the video, is associated with better outcomes for the patient when performed by the lay person than traditional CPR. because;

1. If the layperson knows they don't have to kiss the dead body in front of them (they are dead at this point, so have a go, you're not going to make the situation any worse) they are more likely to start CPR rather than umming and ahhing over whether to crack on.. early CPR improves chances of survival.

Yes, full traditional CPR is better, but compression only is much better than nothing at all.

Regarding the bolds above.

Are you sure you know anything about this subject?

Kissing does not enter into CPR.

You are closing your mouth over the victims, and forcing air into their lungs.

I would hardly call that kissing.

Also, the person is not dead at all, otherwise resucitation would be pointless.

They are alive, but not breathing, and their heart is not beating.

I would recommend you go on a first aid course.

when i did first aid years since, we were taught to do compressions to rhythm of nellie the elephant.

when i did first aid years since, we were taught to do compressions to rhythm of nellie the elephant.

And where was that?

Fantasyland?

It was two breaths and 15 compressions, over the junction of the ribcage.

This nonsense from a london gangster seems inane to me.

If they wanted advice about how to kneecap someone he would be be better.

How can a thug be better at first aid than a qualified person?

And where was that?

Fantasyland?

It was two breaths and 15 compressions, over the junction of the ribcage.

Fast and regular chest compression are the key to survival in basic life support, and Nellie the Elephant has been taught as a rhythm for the lay person to follow as cited in the BMJ

This nonsense from a london gangster seems inane to me.

If they wanted advice about how to kneecap someone he would be be better.

How can a thug be better at first aid than a qualified person?

lol.

Fast and regular chest compression are the key to survival in basic life support, and Nellie the Elephant has been taught as a rhythm for the lay person to follow as cited in the BMJ

lol.

In industry in the modern world, unless you have an up to date First Aid certificate, then you cannot progress to any higher qualifications.

If you came to me, and said, I kissed him and sang Nellie the Elephant over his prone body, I would not qualify you.

Sorry and all that.

In industry in the modern world, unless you have an up to date First Aid certificate, then you cannot progress to any higher qualifications.

If you came to me, and said, I kissed him and sang Nellie the Elephant over his prone body, I would not qualify you.

Sorry and all that.

I'll live without you qualifying me. :hihi:

Also, who mentioned kissing? Apart from maybe a layman, of which you are, when people talk of the kiss of life.

I'll live without you qualifying me. :hihi:

Also, who mentioned kissing? Apart from maybe a layman, of which you are, when people talk of the kiss of life.

I am qualified as an appointed person in First Aid, and Emergency Treatment.

Without this qualification, no others are vialble.