"no kissing" CPR advert what do you think?

You need to be able to check for a pulse, otherwise you're quite right you could injure them.

The fact that they stop breathing and go a horrible colour will probably be a clue as well.

spoken with good intension,but contradicts the aim of the advert,and advice of the British Heart Foundation.

the whole aim is to encourage the untrained person to attempt to save the life of someone without being deterred from acting immediately through lack of knowledge about the procedure.

here is another link from the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16222183

Start the breathing

Stop the bleeding

Immobilise fractures

Treat for shock.

If the heart's not going, you'll have to start that first, but if the heart is going, then I was taught that external methods of artificial respiration (compression methods) are considerably less efficient than mouth-to mouth/mouth to nose.

First aid courses are a racket. You need a certificate, costing a lot more than it should. Like the CSCS card.

These things should be provided free by the state that imposes them.

First aid is in all our interests and especially the state's.

We have an NHS, we should have first aid courses offered for free, by in house staff. Not rules, regulations, contracting out and vast sums of money changing hands.

All of this was done just a few years ago, offered via community organisations usually, but like so many things in the past two years it's disappeared due to cuts.

i was hoping for some replies from those experienced in Cardiology or practicing nurses ie. it would have been interesting to know their views.

The article in todays "mail on Sunday" has some interesting readers comments at the bottom of the page.

Here is the link.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2081962/Kiss-life-Try-Vinnie-Jones-chest-pump-instead-beat-Bee-Gees-Stayin-Alive-naturally.html

i was hoping for some replies from those experienced in Cardiology or practicing nurses ie. it would have been interesting to know their views.

The article in todays "mail on Sunday" has some interesting readers comments at the bottom of the page.

Here is the link.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2081962/Kiss-life-Try-Vinnie-Jones-chest-pump-instead-beat-Bee-Gees-Stayin-Alive-naturally.html

First aid in a hospital setting is very different from first aid in a community setting because in a hospital there is loads of equipment and drugs on hand to help you treat someone. In the community the emphasis is more on keeping someone alive until medical help arrives.

But, I remember someone saying that you shouldn't practice CPR on someone who is healthy and fine, why?? Would it kill them?? So what happens if I do CPR on someone who's collapsed, could I end up killing them?? That's a very scary thought!

CPR does carry a risk of injury so it shouldn't be attempted on someone who is health and fine. But, the rule of thumb is if you're not sure that you can feel a pulse you should attempt CPR as the risk of causing harm through the CPR is more than outweighed by the risk to someone's health of not receiving CPR if they need it.

a reference to this advert was in the news today. it was also mentioned that the British Heart Foundation are in favour of a more simpler CPR technique that could be effective,as it appears that so many people have not been trained in first aid.

members of the public,who are first on the scene to such an emergency are often afraid to attempt CPR (even if they have a little knowledge) because they don't feel confident enough to assist.

the advert is stressing the importance of chest compression.

would you make an attempt to save someones life?

what do you think?

I can understand someone being scared, but you can't just stand there and watch someone die. I don't understand why first aid isn't taught to every child at school as part of a standard education

First aid in a hospital setting is very different from first aid in a community setting because in a hospital there is loads of equipment and drugs on hand to help you treat someone. In the community the emphasis is more on keeping someone alive until medical help arrives.

yes i am quite aware of the the Hospital setting,and that there is equipment at hand.

i wasn't referring to their experiences in the Hospital setting . i am just interested in their views of the practice of Rescusitation outside the Hospital environment thats all ,in view of their knowledge and expertise.

yes i am quite aware of the the Hospital setting,and that there is equipment at hand.

i wasn't referring to their experiences in the Hospital setting . i am just interested in their views of the practice of Rescusitation outside the Hospital environment thats all ,in view of their knowledge and expertise.

Outside the hospital they are trained along the same first aid lines, because they're based upon the current best practice. This does not include any individual skills that they may pick up, but a lot of the time with out the hospital equipment those skills are nothing more than than the basic first aid.

Edited by JFKvsNixon

First aid should definately be taught in schools, then everyone would have a basic knowledge of how to help people and surely that would boost peoples confidence in doing so

Outside the hospital they are trained along the same first aid lines, because they're based upon the current best practice. This does not include any individual skills that they may pick up, but a lot of the time with out the hospital equipment those skills are nothing more than than the basic first aid.

it isn't their skill at dealing with current practice i was expressing an interest in. it is their veiw of the involvement of the unskilled person who is faced with the situation of deciding to attempt Rescusitation that i am interested in and wether they agree that the method shown in the "no kissing advert"is the right one.

more especially because the advert is directed only at a (one person action) in a cardiac emergency and is not an instuction in basic first aid.

I can understand someone being scared, but you can't just stand there and watch someone die. I don't understand why first aid isn't taught to every child at school as part of a standard education

yes you share the same view as some of the previous posters and i agree with you,but what do you think about the advert?