"no kissing" CPR advert what do you think?

It's not something I've been familiar with, and I've never heard any of my kids refer to it when they were at school. At least not a proper certificated first aid course. It may well be touched upon at some point. But of course I may be wrong eh alchresearch :wink:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7929751.stm

Already part of the curriculum in 2009 in Wales and NI, plans to have it in place by 2011 according to this old link, which ties in with what I posted earlier.

Won't happen, there's no GCSE for it... All Schools care about is how well they do in the league tables for kids passing exams.

It doesn't need to have a GCSE to be taught. That's why money management and all sorts of useful stuff is taught in the "Citizenship" module, which has been known as PSE, SPE, PSD & SPD over the years.

An hour?...crikey I must be thick ...... the course I went on was a 3 day course!!!! last year!...lol

I've had one since then which was a 2 day course, but that was a comprehensive course in first aid covering not only CPR.

But the one at school I think maybe was an hour and they managed to cover the basics of chest compressions and mouth to mouth resuscitation.

To be honest, much of what First Aid at Work teaches is very much common sense, and is not explicitly needed to be taught in schools. The basics of CPR however isn't and should be taught in schools.

Edited by Forumosaurus

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7929751.stm

Already part of the curriculum in 2009 in Wales and NI, plans to have it in place by 2011 according to this old link, which ties in with what I posted earlier.

It's a shame the planned 2011 target for the England wasn't implemented.

Ooh, I right like this advert.. I think it's good too because tbh, I'd have never attempted it because I'd have scared I would do more harm than good, I wouldn't have had a clue when to push, but I knew there was a song but never remembered it - but this advert is so odd that it sticks in your head!

Look how many people are talking about it, it can only be a good thing.

Oh and I think teaching first aid in schools would be a brilliant idea.

Personally, I think 'First Aid' should be taught in school as a compulsory part of the curriculum.

We were taught CPR during swimming lessons and basic First Aid at JI school.

I learned even more from my cousin who was a St. John volunteer.

I'd go further than making First Aid a compulsory school subject. I'd make having a basic First Aid kit to be part of the MOT for vehicles. I'd also change the driving test so the candidate has to show a level of First Aid competence.

Unfortunately you spend at least 12 years of your life at school only being taught how to pass exams rather than how to deal with real life.

It's only been that way since the introduction of the GCSEs and the reduction of the optional subjects (we were allowed 5 for our last two years).

Really though, the responsibility for preparing children for life after school lays with the parents.

Really though, the responsibility for preparing children for life after school lays with the parents.

Surely first aid falls under the remit of education? A good percentage of parents wouldn't have the ability or knowledge to teach their children first aid (not just CPR). So it has to be done by schools (or others)

Surely first aid falls under the remit of education? A good percentage of parents wouldn't have the ability or knowledge to teach their children first aid (not just CPR). So it has to be done by schools (or others)

I wasn't responding to whether schools should teach it (I think they should, which you would have realised from my post immediately preceding the one you quoted).

Ooh, I right like this advert.. I think it's good too because tbh, I'd have never attempted it because I'd have scared I would do more harm than good, I wouldn't have had a clue when to push, but I knew there was a song but never remembered it - but this advert is so odd that it sticks in your head!

Look how many people are talking about it, it can only be a good thing.

Oh and I think teaching first aid in schools would be a brilliant idea.

I haven't seen the advert, but first aid isn't that hard and shouldn't be something that people are scared to do. Admittedly, when I had my recent first aid test, I was butterflies but when I responded to a woman falling and breaking her leg, it was second nature.

but when I responded to a woman falling and breaking her leg, it was second nature.

Which is what the training is supposed to do (make reacting second nature), a bit like riding a bike.

Which is what the training is supposed to do (make reacting second nature), a bit like riding a bike.

Exactly. Scary thinking about it beforehand, but when it happens... you just react without as much as a thought. That's why people shouldn't shy away from it.