"no kissing" CPR advert what do you think?

Personally, I think 'First Aid' should be taught in school as a compulsory part of the curriculum. It makes sense to me, or am I daydreaming?

I thought it was, under PSE & Citizenship.

:clap::clap::clap:

in their final year at school, yes why not.

they are quite old enough not to be troubled by it.

Personally, I think 'First Aid' should be taught in school as a compulsory part of the curriculum. It makes sense to me, or am I daydreaming?

I was, in some form, but I'm pretty sure it's not part of the curriculum,

I don't see why it isn't, it only takes an hour.

Unfortunately you spend at least 12 years of your life at school only being taught how to pass exams rather than how to deal with real life.

I thought it was, under PSE & Citizenship.

It's not something I've been familiar with, and I've never heard any of my kids refer to it when they were at school. At least not a proper certificated first aid course. It may well be touched upon at some point. But of course I may be wrong eh alchresearch :wink:

I was first aid trained at the age of 14 when I was a cadet in the ATC. Like you, I think first aid training should be part of the cirruculum and should be available to all children.

First aid courses are a racket. You need a certificate, costing a lot more than it should. Like the CSCS card.

These things should be provided free by the state that imposes them.

First aid is in all our interests and especially the state's.

We have an NHS, we should have first aid courses offered for free, by in house staff. Not rules, regulations, contracting out and vast sums of money changing hands.

I was, in some form, but I'm pretty sure it's not part of the curriculum,

I don't see why it isn't, it only takes an hour.

Unfortunately you spend at least 12 years of your life at school only being taught how to pass exams rather than how to deal with real life.

An hour?...crikey I must be thick ...... the course I went on was a 3 day course!!!! last year!...lol

An hour?...crikey I must be thick ...... the course I went on was a 3 day course!!!! last year!...lol

Who paid for it and how much did it cost?

Who paid for it and how much did it cost?

My company paid for it, and from memory I think it was about £300.......Yes...definitely a rip off. You're right it should be free. But then I suppose if I join the St Johns ambulance then I would get it free, but I don't want to make a career of it!

I was first aid trained at the age of 14 when I was a cadet in the ATC. Like you, I think first aid training should be part of the cirruculum and should be available to all children.

Won't happen, there's no GCSE for it... All Schools care about is how well they do in the league tables for kids passing exams.

I agree that it should be taught though, 3 years ago I did a First Aid course in Town, I'm looking for a refresher course for this year but the closest place is St John's Ambulance in S8.

I’ve taught 13 to 17 year olds first aid and they are usually very enthusiastic and enjoy it, they didn’t have a problem with the sight of mocked up injuries and became reasonably competent at dealing with emergency situations.

I’ve taught 13 to 17 year olds first aid and they are usually very enthusiastic and enjoy it, they didn’t have a problem with the sight of mocked up injuries and became reasonably competent at dealing with emergency situations.

Kids of that age would sail through the HSE 'approved' course. I just don't see why it's not done at school with the appropriate certificate awarded at the end of it. It's another qualification that they can take with them into the 'real world'.