Meadow Street S3 - Anyone got any memories?

Originally posted by stevie1957

Hope this is not a daft question.....

What are balm cakes?

Balm cakes are just bread cakes, or large flat bread rolls.

The term is used more commonly in Lancashire than Yorkshire (you often hear the factory girls in Coronation Street ordering "bacon balms" from the cafe), but you do see them in Sheffield as well.

Does anyone remember Kandy's on the end of Meadow street

Hoyle street, used to be the Alhambra Hotel 100 hoyle Street

Originally posted by mojoworking

Balm cakes are just bread cakes, or large flat bread rolls.

The term is used more commonly in Lancashire than Yorkshire (you often hear the factory girls in Coronation Street ordering "bacon balms" from the cafe), but you do see them in Sheffield as well.

Thanks Mojo.

had the baby wear shjop in meadow street knew wilf croft very well

I remember going to a little shop,I think it was Netherthorpe Place.It sold sheet music with the words to the songs in the Hit Parade songs like Tab Hunter Red Sails in the Sunset. I think it came out monthly and I used to walk from Burgoyne Rd to get it nobody else seemed to stock it.The shop was on the stretch passed Gebhards as it turned left into Watery St.Does anyone remember this or have Photo's?

I have been searching for details of Port Mahon. My Grandmother owned a sweetshop 'Barrons' at 31 Netherthorpe Place around 1908,1909

Prior to this they live in Agnes Square. Would anyone know if this is the same area. Can't seem to find it.

Originally posted by stevie1957

Hope this is not a daft question.....

What are balm cakes?

It's actually "Barm" cake. It seems to be more commonly used in Lancashire, for some reason.

Comes from the old word for yeast. (or the dough mixture that was kept over from one batch of bread baking to the nest, which would be used to leaven, or rise the bread )

If a kiddie was acting, erm, a bit "daft", they'd be called a "barm pot" or a "barm cake" in our family.

PT

Originally posted by Plain Talker

It's actually "Barm" cake. It seems to be more commonly used in Lancashire, for some reason.

Comes from the old word for yeast. (or the dough mixture that was kept over from one batch of bread baking to the nest, which would be used to leaven, or rise the bread )

If a kiddie was acting, erm, a bit "daft", they'd be called a "barm pot" or a "barm cake" in our family.

PT

Thats right. I remember my Mother used to send me to the shops and fetch 2oz of barm and half a stone of flour,when she was making bread. Tell thee what ,it were reit good that bread. :)

Originally posted by docmel

Was there from about 1958 to 1961.

Better memory than me - cannot remember any teachers. Just have vague memories of playground during morning break and getting the free milk - (small bottle, straw and square of newspaper to stand it on if you were inside) - there used to be a 'tuck shop' that sold wagon wheels, chocolate fingers etc.

Hi-I was there from 1956 to 1963 & used to live in Shalesmoor. Opp. the Roscoe. Can anyone remember Jimmy & June the twins who lived at the Ship Inn?

Originally posted by Jozafeen

A thread about Meadow Street and nobody has mentioned Winters' (or Winterseses as it was called) Bakery yet?

My Grandmother and Great Aunties lived at Netherthorpe and my parents always called in at the bakery for freshly baked custard tarts. The shop smelled so fabulous I can still remember it!

SO CAN I:thumbsup:

Originally posted by burnttoast

Thats right. I remember my Mother used to send me to the shops and fetch 2oz of barm and half a stone of flour,when she was making bread. Tell thee what ,it were reit good that bread. :)

It did no harm to me BUD:)

Originally posted by Plain Talker

PT

I must take issue with you there PT. The BBC Lancashire website speaks of "Balm cakes (hollowed out, add a dob of butter then fill with chips)"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/lancashire/fun_stuff/lists/chips.shtml