Meadow Street S3 - Anyone got any memories?

Back on topic there are some fantastic photos of the area that I found when I was the Ranger on the Ponderosa of the area before all the houses were knocked down and the flats put up.

Also the time when there was a barrage balloon on the Ponder during the war. Don't know what happened to these photos but would suggest Netherthorpe and Upperthorpe Community Alliance may have them.

Originally posted by depoix

think ray has sold the shop now balieve an asion bloke has it,area gone down nick now its the red light district accross the the road from the meadow pub

the meadow pub has closed its doors for the last time,nothing left now on meadow street

My grandma used to work for Bryans the bakers for donkeys years. I can't remember if the bakers was actually on Meadow St as it closed years ago. I think there was like a big toy shop on the opposite corner and a chemist next door to the bakers.

I can remember the apple pies she used to make though lovely!. :) I just remember going to Netherthorpe Infants school it was a long time ago 1959-61.

Originally posted by 3dogman

I just remember going to Netherthorpe Infants school it was a long time ago 1959-61.

3dogman - you got a better memory then me mate and I went to Netherthorpe Infants the same time.

We lived in the Off License opposite the White Hart on St Phillips Road

Hello docmel, Iused to live on Weston Street next to a laundry, we had to go up a flight of stone steps to get to the house. We had to move when the gales of 62 blew the bathroom walls down. I was about 9 then.

Could anyone please give me any help about Daisy Walk? What it was like, photos etc? Any help would be appreciated.

I’ve just trawled through this site and nobody’s mentioned Upperthorpe. When I married in 1948, we lived with the wife’s mother at 14 Fountain Square which was quite large house and had been converted from a corner shop. The shop window was still boarded up. Do any of you history buffs know who originally owned that shop, and what it sold?

ESTHER'S SWEET SHOP, NUMBER SIX, WOODBINES.

JUSODA,AZTEC BARS AND MY FAVORITE CHOC STICKS? REMEMBER THEM?

A CHOC STICK AND A GLASS OF JUSODA FOR SIXPENCE, OH HAPPY DAY'S.

OLD COMICS FROM JIMMY PEACOCKS, GO AND FEED HIS HORSE IN THE YARD.

JUMPERS FOR GOALPOSTS.

"GET DOWN MY GRATE AND LET ME IN, AN I'LL GI THI THREEPENCE, AS I'VE LOCKED MISSEN AHT"

"GO ON THEN"

JIMMY PEACOCK, WITH HIS HORSE AND CART,

CAP ON HIS HEAD, COAT FALLING APART.

SELLING OLD COMICS A PENNY FOR TWO,

A BEANO,A DANDY A TOPPER WILL DO.

I recall Jimmy Peacock from my childhood. when he would bring his horse and cart down Cross Hunt Street.

He was if memory serves me correctly a rag-and -bone man

I recall Jimmy Peacock from my childhood. when he would bring his horse and cart down Cross Hunt Street.

He was if memory serves me correctly a rag-and -bone man

he was fruit and veg man

When my Grand had her shop on St Phillips Road she bought her fruit and veg from him. She sometimes went down to his place on Meadow Street to give him an order (no phone in those days) or pay her bill. I sometimes tagged along. He kept his horse in the back yard, but the smell was, err....something else.

Last time I saw him was around 1981 - he had his stall on the end of Fawcett Street opposite the row of shops there.

Could anyone please give me any help about Daisy Walk? What it was like, photos etc? Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Touche, regarding Daisy Walk, My Grandmother was born there, in 1898, she lived there with her mother at No7 court, you could also try this link for a photo: http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s14815

Hope this helps,

regards, intitot