Meadow Street S3 - Anyone got any memories?

Originally posted by Ant

Just noticed this thread. My dear old granny grew up on Meadow Street (before everybody's time on here, no doubt). She once wrote the following letter that was published in the Sheffield Star:

"I am a pensioner and have been thinking back to my childhood days in Meadow Street, Sheffield.

I was wondering how many readers would remember the names of Meadow Street.

There was Rastrick the chimney sweep, Jack's Fresh Fish Shop, Lofthouse the newsagents, and Crossley's the large drapery store. But I think the best-known character was Peter Lourie, the owner of the junk shop. He was a pleasant old man who always wore a pair of woolen mittens. He would rummage around his stuff to find the thing you asked for.

Then there was a jazz band of men in fancy dress who played every Saturday night along the street. Then they all went into the pub with the money they collected.

I also remember the unemployed men who played pitch and toss. As this was illegal, they always had a man to look out for the local bobby.

Mrs. Deakin (nee Burn)"

I spoke to my aging Auntie who grew up in the area and this is what she had to say:

She remembers Jack's fresh fish shop. There were 2 men who worked there and they were always referred to as Laurel & Hardy as one was quite fat and t'other was small and slight.

Lofthouse - she knew it as a big toy shop.

Crossleys - remembers her mum buying her Whitsuntide clothes which she wore on Whit Sunday & Monday then they were taken to the pawn shop and she never saw them again.

She remembers Peter Lowry the junk shop owner he always had to rummage for stuff but never failed to find what was wanted - he was a funny little man and it was a dark shop and he always wore Steptoe-like fingerless mitts.

She remembers the men in fancy dress and it was quite lively of a Saturday night.

Aizlewoods - a man stood outside this shop shouting "don't forget your peas and relish" - about 2d for a bottle of relish.

Her mum always told her to wait outside Aizlewoods at closing time and not to go inside until they were almost ready for closing when she would get a basin full of cracked eggs for about 1d or 2d on a Saturday night.

She also remembers the pitch and toss but said it was played on almost every street corner but doesn't remember it happening on Meadow Street. As this was an illegal activity there was always a young lad (referred to as a runner )who would watch out for the police and warn anyone of their imminent arrival.

Does anyone who knew the Netherthorpe area years ago or went to Netherthorpe School have any memories of Bethel Street? My grandparents had a shop there in the 1930s - I think it was just opposite the school as my mother used to talk about having to go across to the school yard to fetch their dog when it got in the yard and chased the children. I think they had left by the end of the 1930s but wondered whether the shop was still there when Bethel Street was finally pulled down - would be interested in any information about the shop or anything else about Bethel Street

Hi !! DOCMEL. You lived on St Phillip's Road,1953 to 1963. I worked for Stone's Brewery at that time and was a friend of the Licencee of The White Hart. Can you remember their name. I worked with their Son in law, Harry Bamforth, at the brewery. Had some great meals at the White Hart. In earlier years my family "existed "in the Edward Street area, and at the time of the Sheffield Gangs my Grandfather was licencee for the Ball Inn, Ball Street. Interesting times.

Originally posted by Tets

Hi !! DOCMEL. You lived on St Phillip's Road,1953 to 1963. I worked for Stone's Brewery at that time and was a friend of the Licencee of The White Hart. Can you remember their name. I worked with their Son in law, Harry Bamforth, at the brewery. Had some great meals at the White Hart. In earlier years my family "existed "in the Edward Street area, and at the time of the Sheffield Gangs my Grandfather was licencee for the Ball Inn, Ball Street. Interesting times.

TETS

I reckon my family would probably knows your family. My grandad worked as a drayman for Stones Brewery - retired about 1957.

My earliest memories of The White Hart was when Harry Bamforth was the landord. His son, Peter, was my best mate - he had a twin sister whose name escapes me and an elder sister called Gillian.

We lived in the corner shop diagonally opposite the White Hart

My dad's still alive (85) called nelson

My grandad died in 1977 called Edward or Mick to his mates -

Guest Ant
Hi !! DOCMEL. You lived on St Phillip's Road,1953 to 1963. I worked for Stone's Brewery at that time and was a friend of the Licencee of The White Hart.

Don't suppose you knew Fred Deakin?

A thread about Meadow Street and nobody has mentioned Winters' (or Winterseses as it was called) Bakery yet?

My Grandmother and Great Aunties lived at Netherthorpe and my parents always called in at the bakery for freshly baked custard tarts. The shop smelled so fabulous I can still remember it!

Originally posted by mojoworking

INext door to Hudson's was Gebhardts butchers/deli where you could buy the best pork balm cakes I ever tasted.

Hope this is not a daft question.....

What are balm cakes?

DOCMEL.

Hi!!! Don't remember your family offhand. I worked for Stones, in office, up to going for National Service in 1952 and after 1954 when I came back. Worked there for about another year sending Beer out to the Pubs. I was working under a chap called Bill Selby, very well known, whose job I took over when he passed away. I was better known for being Cricket Secretary of Sports Club at that time. I also had some of my relatives working there as draymen at that time. Family called Walkers. Didn't know about Harry's offspring. Great chap was Harry, a real card. Taught me a lot. I must express my thanks to his Mother in Law , though, for the many wonderful meals she gave me at The White Hart when we were off playing cricket at The Robin Hood, Little Matlock. Still remember many names of those working for Stones at that time. Hope your relatives remember that in those times Draymen got FREE beer, even though driving. Bye.

TETS

I do remember Harry Bamforth being a very keen cricketer.

I also remember the dray wagon turning up outside our shop and sometimes pouring my grandad out onto the pavement. He would have been locked up now, but as you said in thsoe days, every pub they delivered to they got a free drink...did him no harm though...he was 83 when he died and it was not the liver that got him - he was still having a couple of pints a day only a few days before he passed away!!

My dad swears that Stones was the best bitter than man ever made - and although I am a lager drinker I do recall that it being the only bitter I enjoyed.

Was certainly a good beer. Have just had one,but is not like it used to be. Cannon Ales, Samson Ales, and probably for draymen---Strong Ale. You didn't have to be keen to enjoy the Cricket outings to all the Working Men's clubs.police team etc. After every match their was a slap up meal and ,of course lashings of beer. Harry was the life and soul of the party. God bless him.