Meadow Street S3 - Anyone got any memories?

I think Watery Lane and Watery Street were very near each other...

Watery St is where the Coroners is now, near Malinda St.

Hi, I was just using the search facility, before i ask about Martin St for a thread, and found this thread.

I never seen the Sheffield Picture site before, i have a feeling, im going to be stuck on the computer for hours looking through it.

So much history around Netherthorpe, its great to read all the stories.

ash

It has been great looking at the comments re the Upperthorpe area. I am looking for pictures of Bethel Street. My dad grew up around there in the 20's and 30's. He attended Netherthorpe School and despite a failing memory can still remember the name of the teachers who taught him. He hankers after the area and I was hoping to find him some pictures for Christmas, I have tried the picture link but had no success. My dad is Melvyn Stafford.

I am looking for pictures of Bethel Street. .

Hi cathy, i don't know how to do links, but if you goto picturesheffield.com , and click on 'B' and scroll down, there are 5 pictures of Bethel St. PT might still be linked with this thread, and she's the expert with the links thing, and she might help.

Be warned though, i ended up looking at pictures almost all night after looking at a few roads around Netherthorpe, theres hundreds.:hihi:

ash

Thanks Djash - managed to order a couple of pictures and will probably just print some of the others off. It all helps to get Dad chatting to us, he remembers this area better than where he is now!

Beatty crookes, landlady at the white horse malinda street..bag o'nibbets an a vimto please, mi grandad'll pay...

I,m surprised and a little disappointed my old employer never got a mention on this thread...Tom Crossland and sons... Plumbers and heating engineers where i served my apprenticeship...He was at number 55 meadow street where blundells now stands behind the petrol station....fond memories..:thumbsup:

My nan grew up round meadow street / watery lane not sure which im goin to check ! her family also had a shop that was the front of there house , shes told me about fetchin the late final and may day trips on the coach that her dad paid for each year for all the kids on the street!!!

Anyone remember them my nan was Bessie Holland , she had lots of bruvs and sisters the ones i remember are joe,albert,edna,mabel,ken,frank and arnold i think!!! I WILL CHECK!!

I lived in Morpeth St. Someone asked the name of the pub in Watery Lane.

It was called the Nottingham House. I used to go very regularly into the Meadow St. Hotel. Bodo

Does anyone remember Ct 2 St Phillip's Road - the first court on the right hand side after the junction with Netherthorpe Place. I think there were three houses at the front and possibly 6 behind.

Does anyone remember Ct 2 St Phillip's Road - the first court on the right hand side after the junction with Netherthorpe Place. I think there were three houses at the front and possibly 6 behind.

my grandad and gran lived on corner of henry street and meadow street same yard as jimmy peacock there names are fred and dolly ward. fred worked on the commitee at st philips club on radford street and at the new club. would be nice if some one could remember them has i wasnt born when there died be nice to hear stories about them. there children fred ray alfie jack harry and cliff went to netherthorpe and upperthorpe school in the late 40s my dad has many good memories of meadow street and remembers rays butchers brians bakery on netherthorpe place and many more

In the sixties I worked at Chadburns Opticians in the Wicker and three times a week I was sent to Meadow Street to deliver orders and collect the spectacles that were ready from a small newly built factory.I seem to remember that they also made specs for Leadbeater and Peters.

I used to hop on the single decker bus at Parnells at Fishponds I think it was called the inner circle bus but very often it was quicker to walk.

I lived up at Barber Rd and if it was near lunchtime I would walk up through Upperthorpe I remember all the houses were being flattened and huge tall blocks were being built.

Does anyone remember this factory and is it still there ?