Meadow Street S3 - Anyone got any memories?

My mate Wilf Croft used to live in a shop at number 95. They sold clothes and many other things. Maybe what we used to call a haberdasheray. This was late 60s

YES, I REMEMBER "CROFTY" HIS SON WAS ALSO CALLED WILF.

I LOVED GOING IN HIS SHOP AS IT WAS ALWAYS PILED TO THE RAFTERS WITH STUFF, ALL THE TOYS ON THE LEFT SIDE UP ON A BIG SHELF AND STACKED UNDERNEATH, THE COUNTER WAS NEARLY THE LENGTH OF THE SHOP BUT YOU COULD ONLY SEE CROFTY NEAR THE TOP END WITH ALL THE STUFF PILED UP.

ANYONE REMEMBER NETHERTHORPE PLACE?

BAKERY,HILL'S HERBALIST,BENTLEY'S,TAYLORS.

ESTHER'S SWEET SHOP, NUMBER SIX, WOODBINES.

JUSODA,AZTEC BARS AND MY FAVORITE CHOC STICKS? REMEMBER THEM?

A CHOC STICK AND A GLASS OF JUSODA FOR SIXPENCE, OH HAPPY DAY'S.

OLD COMICS FROM JIMMY PEACOCKS, GO AND FEED HIS HORSE IN THE YARD.

JUMPERS FOR GOALPOSTS.

"GET DOWN MY GRATE AND LET ME IN, AN I'LL GI THI THREEPENCE, AS I'VE LOCKED MISSEN AHT"

"GO ON THEN"

JIMMY PEACOCK, WITH HIS HORSE AND CART,

CAP ON HIS HEAD, COAT FALLING APART.

SELLING OLD COMICS A PENNY FOR TWO,

A BEANO,A DANDY A TOPPER WILL DO.

Anyone remember BENTLEY'S hardware shop at the bottom of netherthorpe street?

he used to have glass shelves hanging from string against the inside of his big window, and on it were ornaments etc, me and my mate John Sherwin used to bang the glass and make the ornaments fall off. (naughty,naughty)

and just up from there on the opposite side was Hills herbalist Chemist, I used to love the smell from that shop, parma violets, and other fragrant things in jars.

Jacksons, Hopkinsons, Baldwins, Bryans and best of all Joe Hudsons Newsagent, you could buy Jusoda in a small glass bottle and he used to keep two in his ice cream freezer for me and Sherwin.( we would go in and ask him to freeze us two bottles, then go back an hour later and get them) only one day we forgot to go back, and as we were walking past the next day Joe came to the door and played merry hell with us as they had exploded in his freezer and he had to get all the broken glass out, "don't ever ask me to freeze pop for you anymore" he said.

I would like to here your tales of this area around the sixties.

hi

i think my mom used to take me shopping on meadow st. there was a grocer's shop that sold loose butter which the assistant used to pat into shape with 2 wooden bats a bit like tennis raquets. broken biscuits too and lemonade crystals are my memories of meadow st.

Hi

I used to live on St Phillips Rd from 1953 to about 1963. We had the off license diagonally opposite the White Hart pub.

things I remember about Meadow Street? The 'pork' shop, one or two hardware shops - always had their stuff on show outside on the pavement and inside the strong smell of soap and paraffin. The gents metal toilet in the middle of the road. Fruit and Veg guy with his horse and cart (Joe Peacock?) Melias shop on the corner. The huge (at least it seemed to a kid) Zion Chapel. The walk into town on Scotland street with the smell and noise of all the engineering comapnies. The great fish and chip shop on St Phillips Road just above Meadow Street. Netherthorpe Infants School.....

Hi docmel,

We lived down the entry at the side of the butchers shop. Wrays, he had sawdust on his floor and pigs hung from hooks on a metal rail in his doorway.

at the other side of our entry was Bishop and sons printers it carried on round the corner onto netherthorpe street.

Did you used to go in the Meadow for a pint? you might have known my Grandad, Albert Wharton and my Gran Annie.

think ray has sold the shop now balieve an asion bloke has it,area gone down nick now its the red light district accross the the road from the meadow pub

The area went down the nick in the 60's when they started demolishing all the houses street after street, how friendly everyone was back then, door always open, smiling people, good neighbours, getting things on tick, packing your dad's lunchbox spoon of tea mixed with sugar wrapped in a square of newspaper.

yes times have changed somewhat, but I miss those magic day's.

Anyone used to go to Netherthorpe School in the 60's.

Mrs Benson was the headteacher,she wore tweed suits and horn rimmed specs, she always reminded me of Minnie Cauldwell off Coronation Street. I remember Mrs Lopez,she had very red hair and a temper to match. Mr Rowland,always in a tweed sports coat and light flannel trousers, a very tall man.

We used to sing rude songs in the barn at the bottom of the playground, whilst stamping on the long bench that ran all the way round the inside of it.

Was there from about 1958 to 1961.

Better memory than me - cannot remember any teachers. Just have vague memories of playground during morning break and getting the free milk - (small bottle, straw and square of newspaper to stand it on if you were inside) - there used to be a 'tuck shop' that sold wagon wheels, chocolate fingers etc.